• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Noticed there was no thread specifically for the next phase of the 2014 Schoolboys pathway.

The team heads to Wellington in the last week of September to play Fiji Schools, before games against NZ Barbarians and NZ Schools in early October.

There aren't many incumbents, but there are a few: Henry Hutchinson, a utility outside back out of Riverview who is strongest at 13; Alex Mafi, a dynamic hooker from Nudgee; and tighthead prop Vunipola Fifita from Newington.

Could anyone name a potential starting XV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Ithought we were short of 200cm 100+ kg 18 yo locks. Not 170cm 75kg 16 yo number 8s. He can join the other 4 no 8s picked But I could be wrong

Good point.
I also heard that Porter was not selected because of concerns that he is not such a great kicker and you can't go to NZ without a 15 with a good kick. Interested in your thoughts on that one - which seems somewhat at odds with not picking some big boppers to play 4 and 5, since it suggests that we intend to meet the Kiwis on their own terms.
My view is pick the bloke you think is the best footballer and then you can't go wrong - or if you do go wrong there wasn't any one better!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
if it must be deleted then fine.

Well its not my call. You should do as you see fit.
There's just so many issues in the post that if there's any interest in the subject it would justify its own thread.
I won't be touching it with a barge pole.

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Good point.
I also heard that Porter was not selected because of concerns that he is not such a great kicker and you can't go to NZ without a 15 with a good kick. Interested in your thoughts on that one - which seems somewhat at odds with not picking some big boppers to play 4 and 5, since it suggests that we intend to meet the Kiwis on their own terms.
My view is pick the bloke you think is the best footballer and then you can't go wrong - or if you do go wrong there wasn't any one better!
Like all selections I get about 2/3 right and puzzled by the others. I don't think I've ever seen him kick but thats due to a game plan probably and being in a strong team. If you don't win the ball I suppose it's a skill we don't need . There's some v tough skillful fwds I would have in the squad before young Smith. I do know a few who are in the shadows so maybe thats yhe call up but still strange. Im not sure he will even be in the start of the 16s schools. There are some pretty talented 16yo loosies around. Time will tell

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Like all selections I get about 2/3 right and puzzled by the others. I don't think I've ever seen him kick but thats due to a game plan probably and being in a strong team. If you don't win the ball I suppose it's a skill we don't need . There's some v tough skillful fwds I would have in the squad before young Smith. I do know a few who are in the shadows so maybe thats yhe call up but still strange. Im not sure he will even be in the start of the 16s schools. There are some pretty talented 16yo loosies around. Time will tell

Saw Porter kick out of hand on Saturday (before I heard this rumour) and thought that kicking was not a strength.
There are talented looses in every age group in my experience - even mine!!!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
GPS 2 really... sometimes the Non GPS kids have a lot more to prove.
I can name 4 other players which deserved a spot in that team who were not injured. Sometimes at these Championships it is better to go in with an injury than to try your best and be overlooked.

Not sure what to make of this.
The buzz was that but for injury, which happened quite late in the game he would have been in NSW I's.
He's pretty damned good but I find, with notable exceptions, back row is often the hardest to pick in the selection trials: in the final of the national champs I didn't think any of the back rowers demanded selection - and that's not saying that none of them were worthy, they probably all were.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ithought we were short of 200cm 100+ kg 18 yo locks. Not 170cm 75kg 16 yo number 8s. He can join the other 4 no 8s picked But I could be wrong

75 kg seems a little undersized for a No 8 to take on the Darkness. Perhaps they see him as a #7.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
75 kg seems a little undersized for a No 8 to take on the Darkness. Perhaps they see him as a #7.
Either way that size is just not big enough at that next level. Seen him play and he will develop into a very good back rower, already is, but there were others far more deserving for a spot. A few games for GPS 2's against other 2nd XV's just shouldn't see anyone gifted to Australian schools. Anyway no doubt the selectors have a different mind set if this is true.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Don't use GPS selections as a guide to rankings in the real world.
Selections in GPS 1's or2's is all about politics not performance.
The facts are,that in 1/2 the cases,players are selected/omitted sight unseen.
Fact.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Will the lad be "found out?" No, he will accomplish his task very well.
Will the couple of fellas you rate ahead of him be "found?" Yes , if they put their heads down and play well with a good ethic for their particular school, club zone and state.

Every year we hear of such travesties occurring. One of the wise old sages of these pages stated "Will it matter in a year?"
Will venting your spleen on a blog about kids change the selectors minds? No.
It happens all the time

old fella

Stan Wickham (3)
This is a case of who you know ... 75kg for a No. 8 what a joke not even worthy of a 6/7 spot from what I saw a couple of fellas way ahead of him

Has it occurred to you that it may more appropriate to wish a 16 year old schoolboy (who, to my impression, is a humble young bloke ) all the best on what must be a very exciting moment in his rugby career? If it hasn't, mabye you should vent on the Andrew Bolt blog, or some such other activity.

And no, I am not a Scots parent.

Status
Not open for further replies.