• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Not the way I see it
I really don't think there is a value in trying to link these as cause and affect as the wording may suggest
Aus school boys is a snap shot of players that can best deliver the coachs/selectors plan in a given year

1 in 8 if you are an Aus School Boy
1 in 200 a generous estimate if you are not
will make it to the Wallabies

of that 1 in 200 are players that
  • may have made it but were injured in the 2 month window at the end of a fooball season (from post here that could be anything up to 5 players)
  • players that have not fully developed or
  • have a skill set or game style that is not required at u19 levels and more useful at seniors
  • excluded because of political expediencies
As Discussed School Boys are selected (or not selected) from a small window of not fully developed young men that have not been in total charge of their own destiny or other life pressures
More significant bone, muscle and brain development will be continuing for the next 5-7 years for many of the less then 18 year olds qualifying for any year
athletic ability, co-ordination and attitude does not disappear because someone was or was not selected or because they turn 20

there are so many qualifications for any such study a single 10 second grab is not possible
Yes, quite.
The bet I should place is that confronted with a random wallaby it is more probable than not that he was not in oz schools.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
Both mentioned are quality rugby nurseries within an association that is frequently overlooked by punters obsessed with AAGPS, and the Barker, Knox, Waverley and Trinity performances in CAS.

Is it sad that I know of 5 boys who have left their friends of 8+years at a public high school to attend a rugby playing school as they feel they will never have a chance to be selected in any representative team if they don't. My answer is yes.

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
I'm a bit slow off the mark here but I watched the Aus V NZ schoolboy game last night.

There was no doubt the boys played the game plan to win that, but only in the last 25 minutes. The Aussies dominated the break down when they kept the ball in the inside channels and they made huge meters as well. That provided space for Perese and Co in the centers.

Another Wallaby victory gone begging because we don't play to our strengths very well. Full credit to the lads and coaches though as they were within a bee's dick.

Lets hope Ewan has a look at that game because there are some clues in there on how we can beat the big Blacks I reckon. But there's probably too much focus on text messages and arguments with female management staff to focus on the bloody rugby.

Australian Rugby is like reading an edition of Woman's Day Magazine at the moment. Can someone just say "That's naughty KB (Kurtley Beale)" and let him bloody play rugby??

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Lets hope Ewan has a look at that game because there are some clues in there on how we can beat the big Blacks I reckon. But there's probably too much focus on text messages and arguments with female management staff to focus on the bloody rugby.

I don't think there are trees tall enough to make a bow that long.

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
Beg to differ boys, its a simple game that's hard to play...there's no doubt the best teams in the world play to their strengths and keep it simple - that was the point...but that's funny about the Kauri's...

Wallabies will do well to stay within 20 next week...

SARugbyFan

Frank Row (1)
I'm a bit slow off the mark here but I watched the Aus V NZ schoolboy game last night.

There was no doubt the boys played the game plan to win that, but only in the last 25 minutes. The Aussies dominated the break down when they kept the ball in the inside channels and they made huge meters as well. That provided space for Perese and Co in the centers.

Another Wallaby victory gone begging because we don't play to our strengths very well. Full credit to the lads and coaches though as they were within a bee's dick.

Australian Rugby is like reading an edition of Woman's Day Magazine at the moment. Can someone just say "That's naughty KB (Kurtley Beale)" and let him bloody play rugby??

Rugby now a profession, requires the same work place standards expected and implemented anywhere else in a (civilised) society. Although I agree with your intended outcome, EM and management would have found themselves on the wrong side of the fence for 'sweeping it under the carpet'. I have no doubt they tried initially to deal with it 'in house'. The AB's have had their share of adverse publicity of late with Cruden. They don't appear to suffer on or off the field.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Kauri's are over 50m high, however the Kiwis get upset when you cut them down.

Try bending one of those to make a bow.

Back when @Lee Grant was playing, they used to scour the NZ forests for kauri trees to make ships masts.

You don't want a bendy ships mast.

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
For those who are interested in seeing it, the Australian Schoolboys v Fiji Schoolboys match is up on YouTube:

This was the first of the Australian Schoolboys Tests played in the 2014 Tri Nations Series in Wellington, but wasn't televised on Fox Sports as it was organised by NZ and there were no NZ sides in the match. As a result, few would have seen this encounter.

Australia 50 def Fiji 15 - a record score between the Australian and Fijian Schoolboy sides.

The team list for this game is here: http://www.schoolsrugby.com.au/2014/news/australian-schools-team-v-fiji-announced/
A match report is here: http://www.schoolsrugby.com.au/2014/news/australian-schools-defeat-fijian-schools/

Single camera coverage, but relatively professional.

shortballking

Herbert Moran (7)
This may have already been discussed, are there any of the aus schoolboys players who are returning for next year? I know a few names such as loga tarogi and Goddard. But who else?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From the Squad for the NZ Test, this is where I reckon they will be next year:

Finish School in 2014
1 Phil Bradford Hunter Sports High School
2 Ed Craig Epping Boy’s High School
3 Vunipola Fifita Newington College
5 Andrew Vatuvei Sarah Redfern High School
6 Maumau Monu Canberra College
7 Connor Moroney St Joseph’s College G/Ter
8 Harley Fox (Captain) Anglican Church Grammar School
10 Connor O’Shea St Joseph’s College
11 Joey Fittock The Southport School
12 Sione Tuipulotu St Kevin’s College
13 Izaia Perese Anglican Church Grammar School
15 Jordan Fulivai St Francis Xavier College
17 Richie Asiata Anglican Church Grammar School
18 Shambeckler Vui Ipswich Grammar School
19 Tuaina Tualima Brisbane State High School
20 Hugh Summerhayes Cranbrook School
21 Nicholas Duffy St Joseph’s College
23 Ned Yeomans Kinross Wolaroi

Back at School in 2015
4 Reece Hewat St Joseph’s Nudgee College
9 Harrison Goddard Oakhill College
14 Sepesa Loga-Tarogi Newington College
16 Gavin Luka St Joseph’s Nudgee College
22 Jack McGregor St Ignatius’ College

Edit: List amended as below

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
From the Squad for the NZ Test, this is where I reckon they will be next year:

Finish School in 2014
2 Ed Craig Epping Boy’s High School
3 Vunipola Fifita Newington College
5 Andrew Vatuvei Sarah Redfern High School
6 Maumau Monu Canberra College
8 Harley Fox (Captain) Anglican Church Grammar School
10 Connor O’Shea St Joseph’s College
11 Joey Fittock The Southport School
12 Sione Tuipulotu St Kevin’s College
13 Izaia Perese Anglican Church Grammar School
15 Jordan Fulivai St Francis Xavier College
16 Gavin Luka St Joseph’s Nudgee College
17 Richie Asiata Anglican Church Grammar School
18 Shambeckler Vui Ipswich Grammar School
19 Tuaina Tualima Brisbane State High School
20 Hugh Summerhayes Cranbrook School
21 Nicholas Duffy St Joseph’s College
23 Ned Yeomans Kinross Wolaroi

2015 status to be confirmed:
7 Connor Moroney St Joseph’s College G/Ter

Back at School in 2015
1 Phil Bradford Hunter Sports High School
4 Reece Hewat St Joseph’s Nudgee College
9 Harrison Goddard Oakhill College
14 Sepesa Loga-Tarogi Newington College
22 Jack McGregor St Ignatius’ College

Phil Bradford is in year 12 this year so will not be back and has just agreed to a month trial with the Melbourne Rebels where he will train with the main squad and look to try and secure a contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.