• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championship 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Use this thread to:

1. List state teams selected for the Oz Championships
2. Discuss games played in the tournament
3. Discuss the make up of the Oz Schools teams

T

TOCC

Queensland Schools 1
1 Elijah Palupe ( BSHS)
2 Maile Ngaumo ( IGS)
3 Michael Bermingham (BGS)
4 Curtis Browning (BSHS)
5 Jack Bridges (GT)
6 CalebTimu (NC)
7 Kristian Satui ((NC)
8 Elisha Paulpe (BSHS)
9 Ben Meehan (BSHS)
10 Grant Davies (BGS)
11 Lindsay Crook (TSS)
12 Henry Taefu (ACGS)
13 Chris F’Sautia (BSHS)
14 Walter Petaia (BSHS)
15 Giorgio Phillips (NC)

16 Campbell Wakely (TSS)
17 Jake Payne (St Edmunds)
18 Josef Horomia (BSHS)
19 Will Slipper (TSS)
20 Ryan O’Connell (Downlands)
21 Dudley Tomlinson (ACGS)
22 Cayden Matehaere (Keebra Park)
23 Sean Cox (TSS)

Queensland Schools 2
1 Pettowa Paraka (TSS)
2 Andrew Ready (GT)
3 Tonga Maafu (Marish Ashgrove)
4 Brendan Mitchell (Sienna)
5 Mitchell Carpenter (BGS)
6 Tim Lollback (NC)
7 Joseph Swan (BSHS)
8 Michael Richards (Marist Ashgrove)
9 Nathan Lennan (Downlands)
10Dion Taumata (Keebra Park)
11 Lausii Taliauli (TSS)
12 Cameron Patrick (Mountain Creek)
13 Stephen Hunt (NC)
14 James Klassen (Villanova)
15 Emmanuel Bell (Villanova)

16 Michael Parker (Ignatius Park College)
17 Jack Straker (BGS)
18 Ethan Brown (SCGS)
19 Dean Cockin (Saint Stephens College)
20 Aiden Kelly (Villanova)
21 Mitch Pilat (Marist Ashgrove)
22 Sam Cox (TSS)
23 Jeriah Goodrich (TGS)

D

Doc

Reserves in these things are always a no win. GPS have the 3 team, these teams have the third best bench for 1s and the 4th best bench for 2s.

Some interesting selections, but overall pretty good. For mine, almost unluckiest Goodrich. Luckiest Slipper, despite falling below Lollback.

R

rugbywhisperer

I thought up until today that Goodrich had the other wing spot in Qld 1 yet Taliauli's 5 pies today sealed his inclusion somewhere. There may have been a sympathy vote for Petaia however I would have picked him on reliability and dependability.
O'Connor no where to be seen. Had a great game Thursday and went backwards from there.I thought Mat ahaere lucky considering he only played half a game but he still showed he has thatsomething special.
Good for Taumata making the II's.

R

rugby_man

Keep an eye out for Lindsay Crook. He is a very good player. Chris F'Sautia and Curtis Browning are the main players to watch from QLD, along with Caleb Timu.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
A pity Browning is chosen in the 2nd row again. To me is is a natural 8, or at least a 6.

R

rugbywhisperer

I think it is a very astute move to have Timu at 6. He had a great trial tournament and this makes a great backrow. Curtis has played at lock all year for State High but with the other three there will be a lot of coverage. I think size wise he is destined for 6 but Qld selectors are obviously thinking of a 5 in a row along with SO Origin so they have picked a team to win not necessarily what is best for the players themselves.

R

rugby_man

Agree Lee. Browning IMO is better utilised at 6 or 8. But Timu has big wraps so it doesn't suprise me to see him at 6.

D

Doc

Think the Browning situation is he is that much better than the next best at lock. Both the GPS 1 locks play backrow at school and both the QLD 1 locks play backrow at school. In fact most of the locks are backrowers (Slipper?), while Lollback plays lock at NC makes at 6 in Qld 2.

R

rugbywhisperer

Think the Browning situation is he is that much better than the next best at lock. Both the GPS 1 locks play backrow at school and both the QLD 1 locks play backrow at school. In fact most of the locks are backrowers (Slipper?), while Lollback plays lock at NC makes at 6 in Qld 2.
I agree that Curtis is destined for 6 however the way that Timu played on Thursday and Friday nights there is no way he could be left out of the team. With Curtis moving to 6 at the expense of Carpenter, while not really fair on Mitch as he played really well, is a smart move. I actually thought that Elisha Palupe was ordinary both nights and would have had Timu at 8 instead.
I also read or heard somewhere that Timu is on a league scholarship so that is a teeny bit annoying to me. I am a firm believer that anyone picked for rugby selection should have NO league allediencies at all. But thats just me. Good on him anyway - he played well all year.

T

TheTruth

Agree Lee. Browning IMO is better utilised at 6 or 8. But Timu has big wraps so it doesn't suprise me to see him at 6.
Have read on another site that Timu has signed with the Cowboys - agree as to why is it that league contracted players play rep footy in union

R

rugbywhisperer

NSW Schools 1st XV 2010
1. John Mokofisi, St Augustine's College
2. Hugh Roach, Newington College
3. Guy Miller, The King's School
4. Rhys Dombkins, St Augustine's College
5. Jed Holloway, Waverley College
6. James Dargaville, Mater Maria, Warriewood
7. Stuart Goodman, Barker College
8. Jason Havea, Hills SHS
9. Ben Black, Chevalier College
10. Sam Brisby, St Augustine's College
11. Declan Smith, Oakhill College
12. Jack Purcell, St Augustine's College
13. Malietoa Hingano, St Augustine's College
14. Matthew Hulme, St Joseph's College, Hunters Hill
15. Luke Keary, Oakhill College

16. Jack Wallace, Waverley College
17. Hugh Alexander, Knox Grammar School
18. Allan Ala'alatoa, Newington College
19. Steve Cummins, Hills SHS
20. Gordon Broome, Asquith BHS
21. Waldo Wessels, Endeavour SHS
22. Samuel Muller, Mudgee HS
23. Asipeli Fine, Waverley College

NSW Schools 2nd XV 2010
1. Jed Gillespie, The King's School
2. Tom Kauffmann, St Augustine's College
3. Rhys Brodie, St Andrew's Cathedral School
4. Benn Melrose, The King's School
5. Harry Hosegood, The Scots College
6. Boyd Killingworth, The King's School
7. Tom Connor, The King's School
8. Joel Luani, Newington College
9. Tim Donlan, St Ignatius' College
10. Ed Wylie, The King's School
11. Jason Siege, Hills SHS
12. Apolosi Latinupulu, Newington College
13. Chris Ingate, The King's School
14. Cameron Clark, Knox Grammar School
15. James Vaka, Narara Valley HS

16. Sam Baraket, The Scots College
17. Josh Calderen, Oakhill College
18. Robby McNeill, Barker College
19. Michael Wells, St Ignatius' College
20. Sam Vaka, St Augustine's College
21. Tom Koerstz, St Stanislaus College
22. Stuart Dunbar, The Scots College
23. Samuel Ahofono, Hills SHS

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks for posting that whispers. The NSW selectors did not nominate the starting XV in the paper, but do you have some information that what you have posted is the breakup of the starting team and reserves of the 23 players nominated for both teams?

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
Firsts update

Does anyone have any more background info on Black?. I have never heard of him before. Big call to put him in ahead of Donlan and Wessells. I hope the selectors know what they are doing as this position is key and he will be under enormous pressure.

Also Dargaville is a bolter given he pipped Killingworth and Conor. I heard he has been playing well for the Rats Colts ones but had not heard of him either previously. Did he play reps for Warringah at any stage?

R

rugbywhisperer

Thanks for posting that whispers. The NSW selectors did not nominate the starting XV in the paper, but do you have some information that what you have posted is the breakup of the starting team and reserves of the 23 players nominated for both teams?

That list came from the NSW Rugby Schools website Lee so i would assume the numbers correspond to statring positions. Then again I have no idea as to the positions other than Roach, Smith and Hulme.
http://www.nswschoolsrugby.rugbynet.com.au/default.asp?id=169735

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks whispers - I was trawling late last night for the info but couldn't find it.

There is a lot of angst from GPS folk about the make up of the Is team and they have a point, though I don't really care what group the boys come from.

The GPS was the strongest team in the trials just finished and walloped both CAS and CHS and even left a few tries on the park in both games. In particular: I thought the selectors would go for a lot of the pack as they were dominant in breakdown work and in the scrum.

The NSW IIs could end up being stronger than the Is but there is nothing unusual about that.

There has been the odd comment about bias - as there always is but as observer observed in another thread, this looks suss:

http://www.nswschoolsrugby.rugbynet.com.au/default.asp?id=164355

Note this in the link: Coach & Selector of Their Own Team John Papahatzis

Papahatzis is the coach of the St. Augustine's team which is in the ISA group of schools. Reportedly he was responsible for the school switching from league to union; not a bad effort since his school is just a couple of punts away from the Manly Sea Eagles home ground in Brookvale. I am sure he was not the sole selector of the Ones, probably just chairman of them and I would suggest that any influence he had was not biased.

I just mentioned it to explain any grief posted on this thread in regard to why one third of the starters were from his school.

W

waves

Queensland Schools 1
1 Elijah Palupe ( BSHS)
2 Maile Ngaumo ( IGS)
3 Michael Bermingham (BGS)
4 Curtis Browning (BSHS)
5 Jack Bridges (GT)
6 CalebTimu (NC)
7 Kristian Satui ((NC)
8 Elisha Paulpe (BSHS)
9 Ben Meehan (BSHS)
10 Grant Davies (BGS)
11 Lindsay Crook (TSS)
12 Henry Taefu (ACGS)
13 Chris F’Sautia (BSHS)
14 Walter Petaia (BSHS)
15 Giorgio Phillips (NC)

16 Campbell Wakely (TSS)
17 Jake Payne (St Edmunds)
18 Josef Horomia (BSHS)
19 Will Slipper (TSS)
20 Ryan O’Connell (Downlands)
21 Dudley Tomlinson (ACGS)
22 Cayden Matehaere (Keebra Park)
23 Sean Cox (TSS)

Queensland Schools 2
1 Pettowa Paraka (TSS)
2 Andrew Ready (GT)
3 Tonga Maafu (Marish Ashgrove)
4 Brendan Mitchell (Sienna)
5 Mitchell Carpenter (BGS)
6 Tim Lollback (NC)
7 Joseph Swan (BSHS)
8 Michael Richards (Marist Ashgrove)
9 Nathan Lennan (Downlands)
10Dion Taumata (Keebra Park)
11 Lausii Taliauli (TSS)
12 Cameron Patrick (Mountain Creek)
13 Stephen Hunt (NC)
14 James Klassen (Villanova)
15 Emmanuel Bell (Villanova)

16 Michael Parker (Ignatius Park College)
17 Jack Straker (BGS)
18 Ethan Brown (SCGS)
19 Dean Cockin (Saint Stephens College)
20 Aiden Kelly (Villanova)
21 Mitch Pilat (Marist Ashgrove)
22 Sam Cox (TSS)
23 Jeriah Goodrich (TGS)

didn't these two lads play last year aswell ?

R

rugbywhisperer

From all reports though Lee Augies have been performing rather well.
As up here the GPS dominated and i suspect a bit of horse trading with the AIC in the Qld II side. I would have thought a few more GPS p[layers there but it may have been a tradeoff to keep the GPS I side as the Qld I team. In our case the Qld I team is definitely the stronger and I feel they may have diluted the Qld II side if that is the case.
Oh the vagaries of schoolboy rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.