• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championship 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

catchpole

Upright,

Agreed. NZ Schools is a massive step-up in intensity and physicality.

I remember watching Joeys in the KB (Kurtley Beale) era and observing that in defence in their own 22, KB (Kurtley Beale) was moved to Full-back and Betham was moved into 10 for his physicality and agression. Worked well for Joeys.

P

pitbull

last years 10 for nz was amazing...and hes back this year i think
does anyone know his name? thanks

Cyril Towers (30)
Upright,

Agreed. NZ Schools is a massive step-up in intensity and physicality.

I remember watching Joeys in the KB (Kurtley Beale) era and observing that in defence in their own 22, KB (Kurtley Beale) was moved to Full-back and Betham was moved into 10 for his physicality and agression. Worked well for Joeys.
If you talk to Br Anthony, the Joeys coach, he would tell you that they moved Kurtley back there mainly to take advantage of his ability to counter attack from kicks, rather than to shield him in defence. He was quite good defensively at school.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
If you talk to Br Anthony, the Joeys coach, he would tell you that they moved Kurtley back there mainly to take advantage of his ability to counter attack from kicks, rather than to shield him in defence. He was quite good defensively at school.

Spot on - they certainly protected him in Yr.10 as a slight 15 y.o. when he started in the Ones but by Yr. 12 he was one of the bigger backs and he became an attacking weapon on turnover ball and returning kicks.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Presidents 15

The Presidents XV got to play just one game so it would be hard for a lad to press his claims. It would have been theoretically possible for a Pres XV guy to be taken on the Oz Schools tour of NZ, especially if he got crocked before going to the recent Oz Schools tournament.

He may have been known to be a good schools player but the selectors didn't take the risk of picking him for the domestic programme, because they would be gambling that his injury wasn't severe. Then if this overlooked lad came good physically, then got chosen in the Pres XV and played well, he could be considered for the tour. He would be no hope of playing in the 2 domestic Oz Schools matches - tomorrow and on Saturday, and the Oz A Schools game last weekend was their only match of the year.

But I don't think that there is anybody in that category.

Not to the point: but the more likely changes are for fellows like Luke Keary, who killed them in the Oz A game, to get precedence over players in the Oz Ones. On paper the 23 who play tomorrow v Samoa and on Saturday v Fiji will tour. Some Ones players may have to stay home because of injury and it's possible that a Ones player may not tour because of poor form, though that is uncommon.

But if there is an injury tomorrow to an outside back Keary could be suited up come Saturday arvo.

Once they are on tour it doesn't matter beans who was originally picked for the Oz Ones. The 15 and 23 will be chosen on tour form.

I did not see the game ,but think that U.O'Sullivan played in the team.
He has played several games in his school 15 recently after a long period on the sideline with injury , & currently is playing first grade colts football .
I believe he has a good chance of being selected to tour , after being in
Australia A last year.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Welcome aboard Done That.

You're right - I forgot Usia. He's a chance to go on the tour and not least because he could be a reserve in the test matches to cover the backrow and a few back positions as well. Tour officials like that kind of player around.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Aussie selectors are starting with the same team tomorrow that started against Samoa.

I wasn't impressed with Fiji when I saw them play CCC. Their ball handling was ordinary. Under pressure tomorrow against the might of the Aussies I'm predicting a 40+ win to the boys in green and gold.

Let's hope they get more ball to flying winger Lindsay Crook.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I suspect that Fiji gave all their dirt trackers a good run in that CCC match. They played better against Oz A last Saturday.

It will still be a long night for them tomorrow but keep your eye on the scrumhalf: he can play.

C

catchpole

LG and Enrique,

Your point is well made. I remember seeing KB (Kurtley Beale) at the AAGPS Athletics when he was in his final two years and he grew considerably.

R

rugga10

surely someone will sign the fijian halfback up he is tough , gutsy and amazing

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
last years 10 for nz was amazing...and hes back this year i think
does anyone know his name? thanks

He won't be back this year.

Since I answered that question yesterday I watched one of the ITM matches I recorded on Saturday. Manawatu was playing Wellington and then on comes Sopoaga. I don't know where he played as the 10 was still on the park but it was probably 12.

Good player - we are going to hear a lot more of this lad.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bloody hell, when is the Kiwi #10 factory going to stop production ?

Fox, Merhtens, Carter... then

Cruden, IRB U20 player of the year last year
Blyendal, NZ U20 Captain and my player of the U20 World cup tournament this year
Sopoaga NZ Schoolboys....

N

NorthernSon

Aussie selectors are starting with the same team tomorrow that started against Samoa.

I wasn't impressed with Fiji when I saw them play CCC. Their ball handling was ordinary. Under pressure tomorrow against the might of the Aussies I'm predicting a 40+ win to the boys in green and gold.

Let's hope they get more ball to flying winger Lindsay Crook.

Hmmm, Observer I now not only share the same haircut as you but concur with your thoughts with tonights match up, the fijians will entertain but are up against real class tonight. The starting XV are indeed impressive and I congratulate the selectors on putting the most physical and skilled XV on the pitch.

The jumper presentation video on the ARU website is very interesting with a number of the schoolboys dominating the wallabies in size. The selection of Killingworth at 7 is again very pleasing and may give us some hope against those from across the ditch in a couple of weeks time.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I have "work commitments" in the gold bar before the Men in Gold run on, so will be unable to see the Golden Schoolboys take on the Fijians. WIll the game be available for download or televised on fox on delay or something.

I too was impressed with the size and confidence of the Golden Future.

These young men and a few just behind them will be there to win the Olympics 7's gold for us in 2016.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Oz Schools 40 – Fiji Schools 0

Oz Schools scored some very nice tries but a few aspects of their game were disappointing given the lower standard of the opposition.

The coaches will have the lads working on the backline passing and making sure that two of their best players, wingers Crook and CFS, get the ball more – which were part of the same problem. Also, none of the halves (scrum or fly) had the same authority as against Samoa, and the goal kicking from both 10s, Wylie and Taumata, was reprehensible.

The good part was the interplay amongst the players in unstructured play: backs with backs, forwards with forwards and forwards with backs. Some of the skill was amongst the best I have seen from schoolboys.

8. Luani had another top game and Fiji had as little luck in stopping him as Samoa did. 2. Roach did his brutish TPN impersonation for the umpteenth time; he's got the game for all levels of rugby: hard, skilful and loves a tackle. 4. Browning had another blinder and no less so when Reiser got a run in the 2nd row and he moved to no. 8 where he belongs. He had some cracking runs.

3. Millar played the best game I have seen from him though no doubt Kings supporters will say “I've seen it all before.” [Incidentally, I said once that I doubted Millar will be big enough to play pro rugby as a THP. Either he's been tucking into his rations more or my original opinion was bunk – he's a strapping lad.

The midfield combined better than against Samoa. 12. Apo L. came into his own and 13. Hingano was hard to stop, which is almost a tautology for those who know him.

Not a lot can be said for the visitors except they had a very good patch just after oranges. Then they forced the Aussies to infringe time and time again to defend their line. They can use the ball but lacked the team sense of the Aussies.

Can the Oz team win the Kiwi test? Hard to say. I didn't rate the the 2008 mob as much as I rate the 2010 team and they won in NZ, though by all accounts the lads in black were ahead everywhere but on the scoreboard.

They've got a good chance. One thing for sure: we can't rate this team for the Kiwi test based on what we have seen against Samoa and Fiji because they will be playing a different brand of rugby union. But all Kiwi teams play the same game and our lads will be able to get used to it in the lead up matches.

They had better.

Status
Not open for further replies.