• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championship 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doc

Thanks for the report Lee. Great to hear Browning going well. He wasn't his usual self during Nationals, to the point if it was purely on form he would have missed out. Good to see a class player bounce back.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I saw him playing in the 2nd row for Qld in 2009 as a 16 y.o. and wondered what he was doing there as he was too short. He had a blinder in the final and on the strength of that I thought he had a shot at being picked as 6,8, or lock cover in the Oz Ones team. I reckon that others were preferred because they were older; they certainly weren't tougher. He made Oz A though.

I was disappointed to see him selected again at lock for Qld in 2010 as he has the natural game for 8 and 2nd best would be 6. I didn't see the Oz Schools tournament this year but it would be hard for him to shine playing out of his natural spot for the sake of getting other good players in the pack. I'd suspect that his school and Qld didn't have 2nd rowers of high calibre, else he would play in the backrow.

I'd like to see an Oz Schools team with him at 6, at least, and Luani at 8, but though their other 2nd rowers are decent, they are not stellar; so it won't happen.

As soon as he gets to Colts, and fairly quickly to Grade, the hard nosed coaches will put him in his right spot.

Anybody know how much he weighs right now - and not to the point - but Roach and Millar also?

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
The coaches will have the lads working on the backline passing and making sure that two of their best players, wingers Crook and CFS, get the ball more

You have to wonder why this is not happening now. The same thing happened against Samoa at St Marys.

D

Doc

AUSTRALIAN SCHOOLS TEAM
TO TOUR SAMOA & NEW ZEALAND
19 SEPT – 7 OCT 2010

Curtis BROWNING - Brisbane State High School QLD

Tom CONNOR - The Kings School - NSW

Lindsay CROOK - The Southport School - QLD

Steve CUMMINS (cap) -The Hills Sports High School - NSW

Tom CUSACK - Marist College Canberra - ACT

Tim DONLAN - St Ignatius' College - NSW

Tim DUCHESNE - Knox Grammar School - NSW

Chris FEAUAI-SAUTIA - Brisbane State High School - QLD

Jed GILLESPIE - The Kings School - NSW

Malietoa HINGANO - St Augustine's College - NSW

Lewis HOLLAND - St Edmund’s College - ACT

Jed HOLLOWAY - Waverley College -NSW

Chris INGATE - The Kings School - NSW

Boyd KILLINGWORTH - The Kings School - NSW

Philip KITE - St Josephs College Nudgee - QLD

Apolosi LATUNIPULU - Newington College - NSW

Sioeli-Pulu LUANI - Newington College - NSW

Guy MILLAR - The Kings School - NSW

Gary NEUGEBAUER - Hale School - WA

Maile NGAUAMO - Ipswich Grammar School - QLD

Walter PETAIA - Brisbane State High School - QLD

Sam REISER - St Joseph’s Gregory Terrace - QLD

Hugh ROACH - Newington College - NSW

Dion TAUMATA - Keebra Park High School - QLD

Michael WELLS - St Ignatius College - NSW

Ed WYLIE - The Kings School - NSW

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
The selectors can hardly be blamed when the opposition is not very strong but there are a few selections there of players who look a million dollars against weak opposition and disappear when up against tough opponents. Will be very interesting to see how they go against NZ. How a president's XV player gets selected from GPS 3s is beyond me. Some players get all the breaks. Our halfback stocks must also be very low with that selection.

country rugby

Frank Nicholson (4)
The selectors can hardly be blamed when the opposition is not very strong but there are a few selections there of players who look a million dollars against weak opposition and disappear when up against tough opponents. Will be very interesting to see how they go against NZ. How a president's XV player gets selected from GPS 3s is beyond me. Some players get all the breaks. Our halfback stocks must also be very low with that selection.

Have to agree, thought the touring side was to be picked from oz and ozA, can't believe they picked somebody from presidents 15.
Although, a similar situation happened last year with a boy from nudgee, injured most of the year but still managed a trip away.

R

Rothschild

Oz Schools 40 – Fiji Schools 0

Oz Schools scored some very nice tries but a few aspects of their game were disappointing given the lower standard of the opposition.

The coaches will have the lads working on the backline passing and making sure that two of their best players, wingers Crook and CFS, get the ball more –.

Some of the passes to Crook last night were bordering on the criminal. I think he got 2 passes to hand, one of which he made a great run down the LHS in the first half, the other was forward so the ref dutifully brought it back.
The other two passes to him - one was 2m over his head and the other if it was on the money would have been a try was behind his ankles.
The kid must be frustrated yet it was a great 'team' win but my fear is that once the NZ'ders start to rumble the inside backs they will go into preservation mode and hit it up themselves all the more instead of utilising the strength out wide.

D

Doc

Phil Kite would have been the first prop picked for GPS schools in Qld. he then would have been the first prop picked for QLD schools had he been fit, which would have had him in Aus A at worst.

Surely an Aus team to begin with could have been selected from QLD2 and NSW2 players?
The argument that he shouldn't be there is no more relevant than the argument that there shouldn't be a single NSW A player from a team that finished 4th at Nationals. Clearly, form at one tournament isn't the only criteria.

I have no connection to Kite or Nudgee, just find it odd that folks south of the border don't like a QLD selection over one of their own. Given qld can only get 3 in the 15 and NONE from the side that actually won the nationals. Clearly, what team you come from holds no relevance.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The selection of Wells shows the team lacks height in the locks position. Last night Curtis Browning was the other selected lock with Steve Cummins. Cummins is a great lock with good height 6'5" or 6" but by selecting Wells there is cover if Cummins gets hurt or they need more height against NZ. If Wells steps up and he has the ability to this will allow the experiment of playing Killingworth at 7, move Browning to 6 and leave Luani at 8.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
I agree there seems to be a distinct lack of tall timber. But there are other shorter guys to have filled that spot. A very interesting selection.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
AUSTRALIAN SCHOOLS TEAM
TO TOUR SAMOA & NEW ZEALAND
19 SEPT – 7 OCT 2010

Jed HOLLOWAY, Waverley College, NSW
Chris INGATE, The Kings School, NSW
Philip KITE, St Josephs College Nudgee, QLD
Michael WELLS, St Ignatius College, NSW

These boys were not listed in the 22 in the Programme from last nights game vs Fiji.

All in the 22 from last night have been selected for the NZ tour less:
Rhys BRODIE, St Andrew's Cathedral School, NSW

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
These boys were not listed in the 22 in the Programme from last nights game vs Fiji.

All in the 22 from last night have been selected for the NZ tour less:
Rhys BRODIE, St Andrew's Cathedral School, NSW

Hugh look at other posts - these boys are from Oz A and Pres XV

Status
Not open for further replies.