• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championship 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rugbywhisperer

1. Blake Cullen - Ipswich Grammar – very capable - strong
2. Tim Reid - The Kings School
3. Patelo Tatuilo - Hills SHS
4. Sam Reiser - St. Josephs Gregory Terrace – solid, hard
5. William Skelton - Hills SHS
6. Jay Adkins - St. Josephs Nudgee – unlucky IMO not to make Qld
7. Josh Frater – Anglican Church Grammas School – good in the lineout, very mobile
8. Jordan Reid – Knox Grammar
9. Tim Duchese – Knox Grammar
10. Jake Milne - St. Josephs Nudgee –not schoolboy great but has been marked for future greatness
11. Garrett Nowlan – Brisbane State High Schools – fast, good finisher
12. Michael Freeman – The Kings School
13. Hymel Hunt - St. Josephs Nudgee – lookout – very solid, takes a bit hit, another who is unlucy not to be in the Qld squad
14. Ray Buchannan – Hunter SHS
15. John O’Connor – The Southport School – one of the most elusive backs around, will create havoc if not tackled
16. Daniel O’leary – Downlands College – good player,
17. Jake Schatz – St. Edmunds College
18. Laiatea Fotofili – Pittwater HS
19. Helaman Samuela – Ispwich Grammar – dependable player
20. Jack Waters – The Scots College
21. Matt Fairnington – The Southport School – possibly Aus schools next year, great pass and very in your face, should have made the Qld squad in the mind of many
22. Will Fay – Cranbrook
23. Alex Northam – Killarney HS

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I in no way deny that this team will be competitive if they can combine as a team. There are some very strong players from both states in it. My only beef with it is that I feel sorry for those players in the Div 2 Champs. Does this mean that the Div 2 tournament has become a n0n-event in terms of Australian Schoolboys selection?

R

rugbywhisperer

I in no way deny that this team will be competitive if they can combine as a team. There are some very strong players from both states in it. My only beef with it is that I feel sorry for those players in the Div 2 Champs. Does this mean that the Div 2 tournament has become a n0n-event in terms of Australian Schoolboys selection?

I don't think you can say that at all. The Div II champs have a vital role to play for not only for the players from the minor states but also for the overall development of tha game.
It's simply a fact that in the opinion of the selectors there were not any players of ability to oust those that have been selected and looking at the Qld players involved I would have to agree. In a way I would suggest that NSW and Qld could in all probability field three teams of good strength to the National champs such is their depth compared to the states of SA, TAS, NT etc. In a way it's a shame that WA and Vic have gone their own way as I don't think they are going to be that competitive next week but they certainly will get a valuable learning experience.

D

Doc

I really like this CS idea.

The GPS selections for example were so close (in some instances) that a kid could have just as easily been in GPS 1 or the Shadows, and there were several players at the states who didn't get as much time as they would thought. I imagine a couple from CS might sneak in Aus or Aus A. I can't see the team matching either of the QLD teams though.

What is strange is that 'lesser' players get a better crack at the Oz team. Eg if we look at halfbacks (assuming a qld 9 in cs, which not)
The best qld 9 is in qld 1
The 2nd best is in qld 2
3rd benchs qld 1
4th benchs qld 2
5th starts cs

just odd that the 5th best will get alot more game time.

W

Wrinkled Rat

I think you can take from it that ;
1: Coach Ian Jones knows the Qld lads play very well to the point of expert,
2: I cannot comment on how well the other coaches know the NSW lads however Ian Jones was in Sydney I understand to observe the NSW trial games so it could be infered that he knows the NSW players ability as well,

The selection of this team was only ever going to be argued at infinitum my point is that there are shadow players picked in NSW which should shoot a message to the Coach/Selector that if he/they are looking for a spot to fill then that is the place to start. Some of these NSW boys were not shadows

U

Upright

If this team is correct this would appear to be an ARU lead initiative and one that is IMO quite correct.
Both Vic and WA as of 2011 will have Super 15 teams so a suitable pathway to grow the game in those states needs to be created, thus they have a team at the Champs - they already play at the under 16 champs so this is a logical extension. They may not be as strong as NSW or Qld yet but in time I am sure they will be.Therefore Combined States to be competitive and provide good matches at the champs, needs to be the best of the rest and if they happen to be from NSW/Qld then so be it- gives those NSW and Qld boys overlooked by their states a chance and it will make CS at least competitive which they will need to be, as they are in the pool with NSW I ,Qld II and Vic. At present the ARU spends its development $ through its NTS program and is not happy seeing boys they are investing in overlooked by conflicted school based selectors. Could this be the beginning of the development pathway in Australian Rugby being determined by the ARU and not school based individuals? Only time will tell.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Interesting thing about political selections everywhere. In the combined states squad the halfback couldn't even make his school firsts. A pity that there are no non-QLD/ NSWE players, but I guess those things will take time to develop.

G

Goldenone

Morning all. If Jonesie is coaching Combined States,then who is coaching the Qld teams ?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
All are from NSW or Qld none from the Div 2 Championships. This is against the idea of why this side was started - to give the best players from the other minor states that compete in the Div 2 Championships a chance to show their skills against the best players from the stronger states.

Indigenous players 1. Blake Cullen (IGS) and 14. Ray Buchanan (Hunter SHS) played in the Div II competition for the winning LMRD Team. Now that some players were picked from the Div II Champs I like the idea.

It would be better if there had been a few more but with only NT, SA and theoretically Tassie players available for selection, there were never going to be a lot of Div II players selected.

DIVISION II MERIT XV 2010

1 Blake Cullen (Ipswich Grammar) LMRDT
2. Harry Scobie (Wanneroo) WA
3. Thomas Timmo (Henely) SA
4. Cornwell Pearson (Brisbane Boys College) LMRDT
5. Kayd Lane-Sharp (Henley) SA
6. Jonathon Jones (John Paul College, Coffs Harbour) LMRDT
7. Jarred Rees (Kormilda) NT
8. Fereti Saaga (Northgate) VIC
9. Jayden Hodges (St Mary's) LMRDT
10. Bobby Brown (St Stanislaus' College) LMRDT
11. Ray Buchanan (Hunter SHS) LMRDT
12. Niua Puaka (St Kevin's College) VIC
13. Allan Faalavaa (Dandenong HS) VIC
14. Andrew Muirhead (Brisbane State High) LMRDT
15. Luke Burton (Hale) WA

C

chief

1. Blake Cullen - Ipswich Grammar – very capable - strong
2. Tim Reid - The Kings School
3. Patelo Tatuilo - Hills SHS
4. Sam Reiser - St. Josephs Gregory Terrace – solid, hard
5. William Skelton - Hills SHS
6. Jay Adkins - St. Josephs Nudgee – unlucky IMO not to make Qld
7. Josh Frater – Anglican Church Grammas School – good in the lineout, very mobile
8. Jordan Reid – Knox Grammar
9. Tim Duchese – Knox Grammar
10. Jake Milne - St. Josephs Nudgee –not schoolboy great but has been marked for future greatness
11. Garrett Nowlan – Brisbane State High Schools – fast, good finisher
12. Michael Freeman – The Kings School
13. Hymel Hunt - St. Josephs Nudgee – lookout – very solid, takes a bit hit, another who is unlucy not to be in the Qld squad
14. Ray Buchannan – Hunter SHS
15. John O’Connor – The Southport School – one of the most elusive backs around, will create havoc if not tackled
16. Daniel O’leary – Downlands College – good player,
17. Jake Schatz – St. Edmunds College
18. Laiatea Fotofili – Pittwater HS
19. Helaman Samuela – Ispwich Grammar – dependable player
20. Jack Waters – The Scots College
21. Matt Fairnington – The Southport School – possibly Aus schools next year, great pass and very in your face, should have made the Qld squad in the mind of many
22. Will Fay – Cranbrook
23. Alex Northam – Killarney HS

What team is this?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I was a bit surprised to see some of the NSW lads chosen in the CS squad - and some not; but that is always the way when schools teams are picked.

In particular: 10. Stuart Dunbar (Scots), 12. Josh McCormack (Kings) , 13. Brogen Roods (New), 15. Ben Lenehan (View), 1. David Lolohea (Hills SHS) and 4/5/8. Jesse Harris (Waverley), must be unlucky not to be included in the 69 players selected by NSW and Combined States. The last two mentioned were not even on the list of 30 NSW shadow players either. It beggars belief that they were ostensibly not in one of the top 99 places available to NSW players.

No doubt others will add to that list. McCormack spoilt his hitherto neat copybook with some unsympathetic play but Lenehan had two fine games out of two for GPS.

Of the NSW players chosen for CS: 3. Petelo Tatuilo (Hills SHS) is a strong THP but he was injured in 2 trial games out of 3 and had to retire. 5. Willie Skelton (Hills SHS) is 196cms but will not be lifted up in the lineout as he weighs over 140kgs and some say 150kgs. He will be doing the lifting. He's a lumbering player that struggles to last a whole game but if the CS coach gets him to drive lower on ball carries he will do a bit of damage to tacklers.

12. Michael Freeman, ahead of Kings' team mate McCormack, is a surprise selection in my eyes as he is a goodish winger and made the GPS IIIs in that position.

PS - whispers. Is JOC (James O'Connor) II a similar player to brother JOC (James O'Connor) I?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
What team is this?

That is the Combined States team. It is ostensibly made up of the best players from those who competed in the Division II championships, plus those NSW and Qld players who did not get picked in the 4 teams from the 2 big states.

Only two selected in the CS team played in the Division II championships and both represented an indigenous LMRD Team. Since one of the indigenous lads is from NSW and the other from Qld, no boy from the NT, SA (or Tassie, if they had any boys competing) got selected in the CS team.

At least they had a shot.

W

Wrinkled Rat

I was a bit surprised to see some of the NSW lads chosen in the CS squad - and some not; but that is always the way when schools teams are picked.

In particular: 10. Stuart Dunbar (Scots), 12. Josh McCormack (Kings) ,

Ditto Lee
Josh is a very handy player who can slot in anywhere in the backline and can kick goals. Spare a thought too on the #10 spot. Dunbar (shadow) replaces McCallum in the NSW 2's who withdrew, the next shadow is Mitchell Trim, last year's NSW U17 skipper who was bypassed for Will Fay. Both handy but why build an expectation of being next in the pecking order to have it overlooked...

R

rugbyfan

Totally agree Lee,
Selectors have their heads in the clouds selecting some of those players
I think its also unfair to the shadows of every state that a player like, for example Willie Skelton, gets picked, he didnt make the NSW side/shadows and therefore doesnt deserve the right be picked in that high level, its just unfair to all the boys who actually take more than 3 hitups a game

R

rugbywhisperer

PS - whispers. Is JOC (James O'Connor) II a similar player to brother JOC (James O'Connor) I?.
If you mean elusive, jinky and doesn’t pass the ball then yes – identical.
John is a lesser build and not as good as James was at the same age. A good school player. Just have your NSW chappies target him and 4 out of 5 times you will secure possession.
I feel he missed Qld selection for that reason. He made more than enough breaks to be considered and defence wasn't really a consideration but 4 out of 5 times he goes alone with unmarked support and dies with the ball. If he plays a team game he is very dangerous. If he plays a lone game he is utterly predictable.

And that is not being harsh.

R

rugbywhisperer

I will be attempting to write objective reports from the Nat schools champs.
If anyone has any players on whom they want particular observation please let me know.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
I will be attempting to write objective reports from the Nat schools champs.
If anyone has any players on whom they want particular observation please let me know.

Thanks for the offer. Much appreciated. I am interested in how the NSW CHS boys go;

NSW1:

8 Jason Havea Hills SHS
19 Steve Cummins Hills SHS
20 Gordon Broome Asquith BHS
21 Waldo Wessels Endeavour SHS
22 Samuel Muller Mudgee HS

NSW 2

11 Jason Seage Hills SHS
15 James Vaka Narara Valley HS
23 Sam Ahofono Hills SHS

CS:
3 Patelo Tatuilo Hills SHS
5 William Skelton Hills SHS

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Ditto Lee
Josh is a very handy player who can slot in anywhere in the backline and can kick goals. Spare a thought too on the #10 spot. Dunbar (shadow) replaces McCallum in the NSW 2's who withdrew, the next shadow is Mitchell Trim, last year's NSW U17 skipper who was bypassed for Will Fay. Both handy but why build an expectation of being next in the pecking order to have it overlooked...

McCormack is injured broken finger and something else got called into the NSW Squad, but wouldn't have been fit enough.

S

sportsfan

is there details/knowlege of the Victorian and ACT boys out there in Forum land?

Status
Not open for further replies.