• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championship 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
NSW I 55 def a brave Vic 13
NSW unimpressive as a team. 15 Keary good as was 8 Havea who made some good runs and worked hard throughout.
Forwards looked unfit and backs disjointed. No 10 took too long to pass and was indecisive at times.
Scorers:
NSW I: Tries to Hingana(2), Roach, Dombkins, Keary, Brisby, Miller, Holloway and Broome.
Conversions: Purcell, Keary (2) and Muller
Vic: Try to Marsters, 2 PG and a conversion to Stowers
No13 for Vic played well making some very good tackles,

Whisper interested to hear your thoughts on Keary, today and over the tournament. Obviously had a decent first game but a leaguie who played in the halves for Manly this year.

C

catchpole

Wrinkled Rat,

I understand that complaining about the imperfect selection system is futile but............

If the injuries sustained by Cam Clark force him out of the tournament shouldn't NSW II select an outside back from the NSW players amongst the Combined States team, if possible, before selecting a player from the Shadow list.

From previous performances selecting a player out of position is no problem for the selectors. Supposedly the Combined States team represents the best of those players not selected for their home state. Presumedly these players are preferred by the selectors ahead of the Shadow team players if the selection process and criteria is to be believed.

Logically, based on the documented selections to date, surely, Michael Freeman, deserves an elevation to NSW II ahead of any newly promoted shadow list player who could then assume a position in the Combined States team?

The only further observation I can add to this puzzle is that perhaps the selectors rate a starting position with the Combined States higher than a reserves position with NSW II as the games move towards the business end of the tournament.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Novotel ASRU Division I Championships at Ballymore, Brisbane

Pool A:

NSW I 55 (Maketoa Hingano, Hugh Roach, Gordon Brrom, Rhys Domkins, Sam Brisby, Greg Millar, Jed Holloway tries, Luke Keary 1 try 4 con, Samuel Muller 3, Jack Purcell con) defeated Victoria 13 (Jordan Schmidt try, Rennie Lautol con, Makesi Stowers 2 pen)

QLD II 28(Lausii Taliauli 3, Tim Lollback tries, Dion Taumata 4 con) defeated Combined States nil

POOL B:

NSW II 71 (Joel Luani 2, Jason Siege, Benn Melrose, Joel Gillespie, Ed Wylie, Samuel Ahofono, Boyd Killingworth, James Vaka tries, Stuart Dunbar try, 6 con, 3 pen) defeated WA nil

QLD I 31 (Elisha Paulpe, Chris Sautia, Walter Pataia, tries Henry Taefu 1 try, 4 con 1 pen) defeated ACT 15 (Lewis Holland try, Billy Chalker 1 try 1 con, James Field pen)

Pool Standings – Day 1

Pool A: NSW I 5, QLD II 5, Combined States 0, Victoria 0

Pool B: NSW II 5, QLD I 5, ACT 0, WA 0

O

OLDDOG

i think the ARU are tired of having great players miss out on NSW, WA & QLD et al state teams whom selectors have bypassed with their "selections" in some positions.

The named squads are after all not the best out there, but rather the result of much "horse trading" between school coaches/staff. SOME selections are obviously there on merit. SOME are definitely not. The reality is, some very good players are often left out, every year. thats life I suppose.

I believe the CS team is a neat initiative to enable the ARU to see people impress them who may have been given the proverbial bypass by the undeniable politics involved in state "selections"........a great idea........long overdue. For too long has Australia had to source players from a small talent pool. Like the kiwi's and Safa's, widen the catchment area and give more lads a chance to show their stuff.

W

Wrinkled Rat

Wrinkled Rat,

I understand that complaining about the imperfect selection system is futile but............

If the injuries sustained by Cam Clark force him out of the tournament shouldn't NSW II select an outside back from the NSW players amongst the Combined States team, if possible, before selecting a player from the Shadow list.

From previous performances selecting a player out of position is no problem for the selectors. Supposedly the Combined States team represents the best of those players not selected for their home state. Presumedly these players are preferred by the selectors ahead of the Shadow team players if the selection process and criteria is to be believed.

Logically, based on the documented selections to date, surely, Michael Freeman, deserves an elevation to NSW II ahead of any newly promoted shadow list player who could then assume a position in the Combined States team?

The only further observation I can add to this puzzle is that perhaps the selectors rate a starting position with the Combined States higher than a reserves position with NSW II as the games move towards the business end of the tournament.

Catchy,

I think there will always be a question mark about whether a player values a bench spot in the 1’s versus a starting position in the CS team given the amount of game time and equally all would and should be very proud and honoured that they are actually in Qld this week.

I agree with you that there needs to be a little more transparency or documentation on the pecking order. Selectors have made their decisions, right or wrong, is immaterial they have been gazetted. As a shadow, you are placed 5 & 6 in order for that position.

So when a McCallum withdraws, Dunbar comes in as number 5 in the order, all good and by the sounds of it played a great hand in the NSW win. Where it is grey is when a CS team is selected or a late call up through injury. It may also be unfair on the CS team that has already played to have to move into a swap scenario.

With respect to the CS team coach and selectors, I believe that that team must cede to the respective state selectors decisions and come from the shadow squads. That was not the case. This may be a cause of the existing strong contingent from Augustine’s but a player like Trim was bypassed in the CS team by Fay, not in the shadow squad.

Likewise with injuries yesterday, Loselli & Roods are very handy and shadows but if I were, Alex Northam I’d be wondering why I am not on the plane or at least consulted as to why they chose a 13 to replace a winger. I’m sure all done for the right reasons but when (as I said in an earlier post) an expectation is created then a phone call at the very least to a player overlooked can be a very powerful gesture.

And Old doggy, agree too, great thinking, the CS team expands the pool that get the opportunity of a lifetime, in schoolboy rugby terms, to play on a national stage and to also make and cement lifetime friendships

C

catchpole

Wrinkled Rat,

Agreed.Transparency of selections and effective communication by management with the players is the ideal for which we all hope.

Your point about young Alex Northam is a classic.

Given the geographic disposition inferred in your name, do you have any idea of how many of the St. Augustines players selected in the NSW Schools Teams (I, II, Shadow Teams and CS) do you think will stay in Rugby or succumb to the lure of immediate dollars/other financial benefits in Rugby League? By my count 13/15 players from their 2010 1st XV made a NSW Schools/CS selection this year.(including that player that elected to play in the NSW SchoolsRugby League touranment)

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Are there any NT, Tassie or SA players in the CS team?

I agree the CS team is a great chance for players who have missed out to show their wares but surely NT/Tas could produce 1 player to this tournament's standard and SA 1 or 2 if Vic and Wa can product 22 each (in theory)

R

rugbywhisperer

OK, I have thought about it all day, agonising over insignificant pestering issues and I have decided to put my musings to paper. If names are wrong blame the program.
NSW I:
Looked unco and somewhat unfit from the start and as Lee said as if they had just met on the bus. The attack at time was wonderful but somehow failed at the crucial stage.
Brisby not too bad but lost me with the bunny hops, had the Qld crowd in laughter though, slow on delivery and loves a hospital pass to his 12.
Roach - best hooker on the day
Hingano - good game - scored a good try off a short ball
Havea - made some strong runs and looks good - we will see how fit he is
Hulme - best of the NSW wingers to finish a game - tad on the slowish side - needs to look for support

VIC:
13 – Marsters played and tackled well, hard to stand out in a well beaten side and he did just that
11 – Schmidt – scored a good try – good runner

NSW II:
Better of the NSW teams by a country mile.
Melrose – heritage pays off, had a great game
Killingworth – very solid – good try
Donlan – very quiet
Seige – quiet before coming off as was Clarky – disappointed we didn’t see them play
Latinupulu – a so so game – looked lost in the company but didn’t make any mistakes,
Ingate – love the boy – walks the walk etc
Vaka – enterprising
Dunbar – lucky to be there and made the most of it – best 10 on the day, great kicking game and great direction. Very assured
Wylie – not as forceful as Dunbar, played at 15 for a while
Ahofono – why? Way too slow for this company but managed to score anyway

WA:
3 – Oli Hoskings – big unit and played well
Neugebauer – another good prop, played well
13 – Peni – solid runner –
Sorry chaps – 71 points hides a lot of good players

QLD II:
A lot of ill discipline in this game – too many yellows
Sam Cox – not too shabby – solid
Taumata – up there with Dunbar – great direction, calm and good kicking game.
Taliauli – 3 meat pies for the day, third was the best – hard runner, I wouldn’t like to tackle him
Carpenter – great game, everywhere as usual
Swan – good game
Paraka – good in the tight when there, made some runs

Combined States:
Came with attitude and a will to upset the table –
Skelton – bloody big unit there fellas – made 2 or 3 runs but needs wayyyy more petrol in his tank
Frater – good game
Milne – not his best but was solid – dependable. Will be a headache for opponents come Friday
Nowlan – speedy, elusive,
Stephen Hunt – tried all game but just couldn’t get through – gees I like him
Bell – very good, reliable

QLD I:
Definitely the best game of the day - actuall running rugby performed so some extent though not conclusive. Some shon, some flickered and some just along for the ride or so it seemed.
Qld I should have wiped the floor but left the towels at home – missed opportunities galore. Wayyy too many turnovers just when an attack was imminent. hard to say if it was Qld complacency or ACT enthusiasm but enthusiasm they had. Made for an entertaining time although one stallwart next to me who has visited these titles a few times was disappointed.
Palupe brothers (2) – both good games –
Bermingham – again, dependable and solid.
Browning – appeared quiet at times last night but gives his best when akoken. Savage at the breakdown
Meehan / Davies – nope – nothing despite the promise, needs work. Don’t think there was one backline play all game but that's probably not entirely their fault. ACT D was great.
Taefu – safe and dependable
Sautia – genius #1, great D and great A. A must for any pantry.
Phillips – very safe at the back, made some good runs
Crook – over 200m carry, made good breaks - forgot to pass, scary in full flight, that’s all
Petaia – improving all the time, very safe

Subs didn't come on til late in the 2nd half so really didn't the opportunity to impress.

Yes I know the Qlders better than the others so I lean towards them but that will change over the coming days.
The Qld I backline is the better of them all or will be once they sort out the distribution process.
The Qld I v NSW II will be the top game of the series,
Luani v Palupe
Apo v Taefu
Ingate v Sautia
Davies v Dunbar (should be)

ACT:
As a team something of which to be proud. The forwards hunted as a pack and were relentless. The backs took on their defensive duties very well and totally snuffed the potent Qld attack.
Chalker – great game –
Holland – very secure and keen, good attacker

All complaints and criticism please direst to Mrs. Whispers - she is in charge of that. I might add she only learned the difference between tight and loose head last night so I am sure you will get a good hearing.
I'm now off to the Doc's to fix a pain in the arse.

One pleasing aspect of the day's proceedings is except for a couple of instances was the absence of what could only be described as a plague of general aimless kicking.
Well done lads - we actually played rugby today and all done in a wonderful spirit.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
DIVISION II MERIT XV 2010

1 Blake Cullen (Ipswich Grammar) LMRDT *
2. Harry Scobie (Wanneroo) WA
3. Thomas Timmo (Henely) SA
4. Cornwell Pearson (Brisbane Boys College) LMRDT
5. Kayd Lane-Sharp (Henley) SA
6. Jonathon Jones (John Paul College, Coffs Harbour) LMRDT
7. Jarred Rees (Kormilda) NT
8. Fereti Saaga (Northgate) VIC
9. Jayden Hodges (St Mary's) LMRDT
10. Bobby Brown (St Stanislaus' College) LMRDT
11. Ray Buchanan (Hunter SHS) LMRDT *
12. Niua Puaka (St Kevin's College) VIC
13. Allan Faalavaa (Dandenong HS)
14. Andrew Muirhead (Brisbane State High) LMRDT
15. Luke Burton (Hale) WA

* Denotes selected for Combined States
This merit team is official and is listed here.

Surely Tom Timmo, Kayd Lane-Sharp and Jarred Rees should of been automatic selections for the Combined States team. They are, apparently I've never seen them play, the pick of the minor rugby states' players and deserve a shot at the big tournament.

Why call the team Combined States if all they are combining is the NSW and QLD 3rd string players?

R

rugbywhisperer

This merit team is official and is listed here "http://austschools.rugbynet.com.au/default.asp?id=169857".
Surely Tom Timmo, Kayd Lane-Sharp and Jarred Rees should of been automatic selections for the Combined States team. They are, apparently I've never seen them play, the pick of the minor rugby states' players and deserve a shot at the big tournament.
Why call the team Combined States if all they are combining is the NSW and QLD 3rd string players?

What you have asked for is maybe not what the 'managers' of the CSS team have in mind. Remember that the coach is an extremely well credentialled individual are his assistants and if he attended as he did the Div II champs last week you can be totally rest assured that if any lad from SA, NT or Timbucktoo was there and deserved to be in the CSS team he would have them in the CSS team.
I know it can be a hard pill to swallow but the CSS team this year had a hard job - to be competitive after losing the players from WA and VIC.
If you PM me I will give you the number of the selectors so you can confront them yourself - only kidding - of course I won't but there is a very distinct possibility that those picked were actually the best players to to the job and after seeing their performance last night against QLDII I think it may be succeeding.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
If you PM me I will give you the number of the selectors so you can confront them yourself - only kidding - of course I won't but there is a very distinct possibility that those picked were actually the best players to to the job and after seeing their performance last night against QLDII I think it may be succeeding.

Haha, I certainly wouldn't abuse these fellows as they are trying to put together the best team of the leftovers as they possibly can which is clearly what they were told to do in their job description.

However, if you call a team "Combined States" you would expect them to be (at least as much as possible) exactly that. If you want a best of the rest team call them the the Australian Schools Prime Minister's XV or Barbarians XV. Not the Combined States. If this team is truly a chance to develop players outside the rugby prime-lands, then use it as such. If it isn't it isn't, but change the name to something more applicable.

T

TheTruth

OK, I have thought about it all day, agonising over insignificant pestering issues and I have decided to put my musings to paper. If names are wrong blame the program.
NSW I:
Looked unco and somewhat unfit from the start and as Lee said as if they had just met on the bus. The attack at time was wonderful but somehow failed at the crucial stage.
Brisby not too bad but lost me with the bunny hops, had the Qld crowd in laughter though, slow on delivery and loves a hospital pass to his 12.
Roach - best hooker on the day
Hingano - good game - scored a good try off a short ball
Havea - made some strong runs and looks good - we will see how fit he is
Hulme - best of the NSW wingers to finish a game - tad on the slowish side - needs to look for support

VIC:
13 – Marsters played and tackled well, hard to stand out in a well beaten side and he did just that
11 – Schmidt – scored a good try – good runner

NSW II:
Better of the NSW teams by a country mile.
Melrose – heritage pays off, had a great game
Killingworth – very solid – good try
Donlan – very quiet
Seige – quiet before coming off as was Clarky – disappointed we didn’t see them play
Latinupulu – a so so game – looked lost in the company but didn’t make any mistakes,
Ingate – love the boy – walks the walk etc
Vaka – enterprising
Dunbar – lucky to be there and made the most of it – best 10 on the day, great kicking game and great direction. Very assured
Wylie – not as forceful as Dunbar, played at 15 for a while
Ahofono – why? Way too slow for this company but managed to score anyway

WA:
3 – Oli Hoskings – big unit and played well
Neugebauer – another good prop, played well
13 – Peni – solid runner –
Sorry chaps – 71 points hides a lot of good players

QLD II:
A lot of ill discipline in this game – too many yellows
Sam Cox – not too shabby – solid
Taumata – up there with Dunbar – great direction, calm and good kicking game.
Taliauli – 3 meat pies for the day, third was the best – hard runner, I wouldn’t like to tackle him
Carpenter – great game, everywhere as usual
Swan – good game
Paraka – good in the tight when there, made some runs

Combined States:
Came with attitude and a will to upset the table –
Skelton – bloody big unit there fellas – made 2 or 3 runs but needs wayyyy more petrol in his tank
Frater – good game
Milne – not his best but was solid – dependable. Will be a headache for opponents come Friday
Nowlan – speedy, elusive,
Stephen Hunt – tried all game but just couldn’t get through – gees I like him
Bell – very good, reliable

QLD I:
Definitely the best game of the day - actuall running rugby performed so some extent though not conclusive. Some shon, some flickered and some just along for the ride or so it seemed.
Qld I should have wiped the floor but left the towels at home – missed opportunities galore. Wayyy too many turnovers just when an attack was imminent. hard to say if it was Qld complacency or ACT enthusiasm but enthusiasm they had. Made for an entertaining time although one stallwart next to me who has visited these titles a few times was disappointed.
Palupe brothers (2) – both good games –
Bermingham – again, dependable and solid.
Browning – quiet at times but gives his best when akaken. Savage at the breakdown
Meehan / Davies – nope – nothing despite the promise, needs work. Don’t think there was one backline play all game but that's probably not entirely their fault. ACT D was great.
Taefu – safe and dependable
Sautia – genius #1, great D and great A. A must for any pantry.
Phillips – very safe at the back, made some good runs
Crook – over 200m carry, made good breaks - forgot to pass, scary in full flight, that’s all
Petaia – improving all the time, very safe

Yes I know the Qlders better than the others so I lean towards them but that will change over the coming days.
The Qld I backline is the better of them all or will be once they sort out the distribution process.
The Qld I v NSW II will be the top game of the series,
Luani v Palupe
Apo v Taefu
Ingate v Sautia
Davies v Dunbar (should be)

ACT:
As a team something of which to be proud. The forwards hunted as a pack and were relentless. The backs took on their defensive duties very well and totally snuffed the potent Qld attack.
Chalker – great game –
Holland – very secure and keen, good attacker

All complaints and criticism please direst to Mrs. Whispers - she is in charge of that. I might add she only learned the difference between tight and loose head last night so I am sure you will get a good hearing.
I'm now off to the Doc's to fix a pain in the arse.

One pleasing aspect of the day's proceedings is except for a couple of instances was the absence of what could only be described as a plague of general aimless kicking.
Well done lads - we actually played rugby today and all done in a wonderful spirit.

Boy some subjective opinions here - didn't see all games but watched the Qld 1's - pretty disgraceful effort all around i'd say - forwards turned ball over to ACT 6-8 times - plenty of bludgers, seagulls and hogs out there - only about 2 proper backline movements and the best was by far the try scored by the ACT - quick hands, draw and pass, no hogging with resultant and spectacular try in the corner. Won't go into individual performances, puff the lads into dreamland or elsewhere as not helpful. Hopefully the lads themselves (and the parents) will be self critical and improve their very lack lustre performances . Wow these are Australian selection trials so need to lift game or should be hooked (particularly seagulls and hoggers) by coaches.

R

rugbywhisperer

Boy some subjective opinions here - didn't see all games but watched the Qld 1's - pretty disgraceful effort all around i'd say - forwards turned ball over to ACT 6-8 times - plenty of bludgers, seagulls and hogs out there - only about 2 proper backline movements and the best was by far the try scored by the ACT - quick hands, draw and pass, no hogging with resultant and spectacular try in the corner. Won't go into individual performances, puff the lads into dreamland or elsewhere as not helpful. Hopefully the lads themselves (and the parents) will be self critical and improve their very lack lustre performances . Wow these are Australian selection trials so need to lift game or should be hooked (particularly seagulls and hoggers) by coaches.

I actually took the time to make extensive notes of all games and players and your summary of the game is pretty well in line with mine if you actually bother to read it.
How can you make the statement saying the comments are subjective if you don't give examples. You may as well say it's all bullshit but don't want to explain why.
Hardly an arguement or a dissertation of the day's proceedings, just a personal rant without substance.

W

Wrinkled Rat

Given the geographic disposition inferred in your name, do you have any idea of how many of the St. Augustines players selected in the NSW Schools Teams (I, II, Shadow Teams and CS) do you think will stay in Rugby or succumb to the lure of immediate dollars/other financial benefits in Rugby League? By my count 13/15 players from their 2010 1st XV made a NSW Schools/CS selection this year.(including that player that elected to play in the NSW SchoolsRugby League touranment)

Not sure of what their players are up to but I do know that we lose a lot to the marlins, it's starting to come together at colts for the rats but slowly.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Great work Whispers. Am endeavouring to be there for the Friday afternoon games. Obviously Qld (either I or II) will be in with a show, but that NSW side who put on 70 odd might be the team to succeed. Have to see how the other teams go against that opposition though.

I will be interested to see how the Qld II number 10 goes. Watched him last year and he is very self assured but he tried to do too much in a well beaten CSS side in the Qld trials. Hopefully with a stronger side, he wont try to do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.