• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Probably inappropriate for this thread, but speaking of sideline slagging, heard an oldy but a goldy a few weeks back,

" hey ref, get off your knees, you're blowing the game".

R

rugbywhisperer

I agree with your sentiments Lee on sideline remarks but even the quiet ones get caught out now and again.
The whispers had to take himself aside today and give himself a quick uppercut after he got a bit frustrated at continual dropped passes with the line wide open - eyes fixed firmly on the goal line and not the ball in these cases.

S

straightshooter

Hey Spectator,
I remember Referee Crow at Ballymore - test against the Blacks - he awarded a penalty try against OZ and the sledge towards the ref that came quickly from the hill:

" You only have one eye - and that's brown"

Some of the best humour in those days came from the quality, beer swilling spectators in the "outer" - you used be able to take a 5 gallon wooden keg into the ground - my, how things have changed - think kids used also be able to run on the ground at half and full time to emulate their heroes and pretend to kick the winning goal.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
straightshooter said:
kids used also be able to run on the ground at half and full time to emulate their heroes and pretend to kick the winning goal.

That's what I like about Rat Park in Sydney - kids are on before and after games and even at half time in the main game - was good to see it on Saturday again.

Geez, you're showing your age mate talking about that match. You must be one of my mob.

S

straightshooter

Only in 50's but goodness feel about 125, knees shot, shoulders wounded, eyes still one-sided and STILL love the game - especially young blokes running around oplaying the game for all the right reasons

R

rugbyfreak

straightshooter said:
Only in 50's but goodness feel about 125, knees shot, shoulders wounded, eyes still one-sided and STILL love the game - especially young blokes running around oplaying the game for all the right reasons

Here, here, what I would give to be 17 again!

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
straightshooter said:
Hey Spectator,
I remember Referee Crow at Ballymore - test against the Blacks - he awarded a penalty try against OZ and the sledge towards the ref that came quickly from the hill:

" You only have one eye - and that's brown"

Some of the best humour in those days came from the quality, beer swilling spectators in the "outer" - you used be able to take a 5 gallon wooden keg into the ground - my, how things have changed - think kids used also be able to run on the ground at half and full time to emulate their heroes and pretend to kick the winning goal.
That's why club footy is still an enjoyable Saturday arvo pastime. Beers in the outer, good natured banter and kid access to field and players.

Q

queenslander

Nts Selector, I think the hardest thing for Joel Faulkner would be that a majority of his school/team mates were selected and he wasn't, I was also expecting to him to make the A's but have to agree with Lee that he wasn't quite that impressive in Sydney. Having only played 2 games this season due to glandular fever probably had something to do with it. I know Joel personally and well enough to know Rugbywisperer that he wouldnt be on a so called 'self indulgent fishing trip', its not his form. A few surprises in the mix but overall a pretty good selection I thought.

N

nts.selector

Thanks Queenslander, you are correct it was by no means a 'self indulgent fishing trip', i was relatively surpised that they chose Matt Garland over Faulkner, is it true that Garland plays on the wing and Faulkner at 13 for their school team?

R

rugbywhisperer

nts.selector said:
Thanks Queenslander, you are correct it was by no means a 'self indulgent fishing trip', i was relatively surpised that they chose Matt Garland over Faulkner, is it true that Garland plays on the wing and Faulkner at 13 for their school team?

My sincerest apologies. It just seemed a bit suss when someone on their first or second post makes suc a statement for a player who as not bee playing his best rugby.
welome about anyway - don't mind me - no one else does.
It is true though - I would have Joel over Mat any day when he is on but as Lee pointed out - he dislikes being tackled

Q

queenslander

Is it true that NSW is just starting their round of GPS Rugby? If so wouldn't this have been a bit of a disadvantage at knox.
Nts selector - Garland and Faulkner do play at those positions

R

rugbywhisperer

Garland is usually at 12 however he went to wing to make room for Ben Malley and poor old Walter got shunted to 2nd -

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
queenslander said:
Is it true that NSW is just starting their round of GPS Rugby? If so wouldn't this have been a bit of a disadvantage at knox.

Yes- unfortunately for GPS- their Headmasters/Sportmasters have their `heads in the sand' in regard to timing of Rugby for Rep purposes. The other NSW Associations all start earlier but GPS insists on a Athletic season first,followed by Rugby. Unless they swing into line they will continue to be disadvantaged.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The Chosen said:
queenslander said:

Yes- unfortunately for GPS- their Headmasters/Sportmasters have their `heads in the sand' in regard to timing of Rugby for Rep purposes. The other NSW Associations all start earlier but GPS insists on a Athletic season first,followed by Rugby. Unless they swing into line they will continue to be disadvantaged.

The purpose of GPS rugby isn't as a trial for NSW and Australian schoolboys, neither is CAS, so I don't necessarily think it is short-sighted administration. It's just tradition, the way they have always done it, etc etc.

But they are going to overhaul that soon, maybe for next year. Low participation and turnout at athos events has been noticed, and they may make the athletics season run parallel to rugby and soccer. They are even considering a two round comp- the horror!

S

schoolboyscout

barbarian said:
The purpose of GPS rugby isn't as a trial for NSW and Australian schoolboys, neither is CAS, so I don't necessarily think it is short-sighted administration. It's just tradition, the way they have always done it, etc etc.

But they are going to overhaul that soon, maybe for next year. Low participation and turnout at athos events has been noticed, and they may make the athletics season run parallel to rugby and soccer. They are even considering a two round comp- the horror!

seriously??
wouldnt think they would ever consider changing anything about that comp.
but cas did it. and its worked for them
but it is no excuse that nsw were poor this year because the comps have barely started. it has been the same every year and nsw have always been up there.
think it was down to poor choice of players. not that they didnt select good players. but too many players they didnt combine well together. especially in the backlines

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Welcome Scout.

Have nothing to say on that point but ...............

Oz Schools Tournament Final replay: Queensland I v. Combined States on Foxtel:

Wed 5 Aug 09 11 am (1 hour show)

Thu 7 Aug 09 3 pm

It's on a 3rd time too but don't know when

Look out for Queenslanders 7 Liam Gill, 11 Kimami Situata and 3 Paul Alo-Emile as potential Super14 players (if Liam fills out a bit.) Also CS best player of the week 10. Kyle Godwin.

That is all.

S

straightshooter

Lee,
Agree with Kimami - special - at next level will need to find support players and not attempt to do it all himself - good size, fast, agressive (well, for a winger anyway) and prepared to back himself if he gets a sniff or even when he doesn't smell that white line.

Agree also with Gill - needs to add good 10kg - has plenty of mongrel - probably needs to temper agression a bit as gives away heaps of penalties - refs do not like him at all.

Paul A-E - great young man but with all big boys the next step involves heaps more fitness and general work around the paddock - be interesting to see if he is sufficiently motivated / dedicated over a period of years.

Thought the best young bloke was 13 from CS - hit like a Mack Truck several times and also a real handful in attack - don't think he got a run in Aussie teams - thought that a shame for this boy !!!!!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
straightshooter said:
Lee,
Agree with Kimami - special - at next level will need to find support players and not attempt to do it all himself - good size, fast, agressive (well, for a winger anyway) and prepared to back himself if he gets a sniff or even when he doesn't smell that white line.

Agree also with Gill - needs to add good 10kg - has plenty of mongrel - probably needs to temper agression a bit as gives away heaps of penalties - refs do not like him at all.

Paul A-E - great young man but with all big boys the next step involves heaps more fitness and general work around the paddock - be interesting to see if he is sufficiently motivated / dedicated over a period of years.

Thought the best young bloke was 13 from CS - hit like a Mack Truck several times and also a real handful in attack - don't think he got a run in Aussie teams - thought that a shame for this boy !!!!!

Kimami Situata hogged the ball in the first two games but he got better in the last two. There is nothing in his play that couldn't be fixed by a professional coach in the QAS. Let us hope that it is not an NRL coach that gets him to pass the ball more.

Was sitting next to the other wingers dad on Day 1 of the tournament. He didn't tell me that his son, Chris Sautia, was only 15. He wasn't of the same standard as Situata, but it's not bad being picked in the Oz Schools team [the top 23] at only 15. He may be something special next year.

As for 15 year olds - Curtis Browning is going to be exceptional next year too though maybe as a no.8 and not the second row where he played in the tournament. Looks like he could be a senior hooker of the Moore type, come to think of it. Usually schools coaches shove slower lads into the tight five but he doesn't look slow. I can't remember seeing such a young lad playing with such mongrel and well directed mongrel at that. He made the Oz A Schools team and must be a chance to go on the end of year tour to Europe.

Yeah PAE will be high maintenance in the years after leaving school. He didn't do a lot in that final on TV but you could see the effect of his scrum work. And look at his legs - short and stubby. Ideal, except when thinking about the height he can lift folks to in the lineout.

The CS no. 13? Yes Te Aute played better as the week went on as did 12 Esekia. They both played OK last year too but 13 Jake Holland (ACT) and 12 Tyson Frizell (NSW II) were the best players in their positions during the week IMO. Although Esekia (Vic) made the Oz A team, Te Aute (WA) missed out, but some of the calls by the selectors are pretty marginal the further down the pecking order a player is.

Geez weren't the Queensland boys well coached?

Status
Not open for further replies.