• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
The Selectors want reliable players, not ones that play well after a good kick up the backside at half time.

We are selecting a team to take on the Darkness Schools, not the All Canada Schools Team.
Quite agree. The fact was when the it really mattered the NSW 2s were down 38-0 . Game was over by half time. Can't read much into the second half in my opinion.

Surely you can't be serious. Nsw2 led act comfortably until act staged a come back and scored on full time. They dominated qld1 apart from a 5 minute period when qld scored 2 tries to go ahead. They comfortably put wa away. They play off for 1st and 2nd, and you're suggesting that the team selected includes 6 players who played off for 5th and 6th, against only 1 from nsw2 who's inclusion ahead of nucifora from qld1, who for mine was actually the best 9, is strange at best, and you think that's the team to take on the might of the NZ schools? You must have been a selector to try and justify that. I am not pushing for nsw2, quite the contrary, although there were a couple there who were great and have missed out. Boys like Hewatt and Pritchard and Nucifora and Fox from Qld would feel just as hard done by. The debate over they're short a 15 and a lock also confuses me? Porter outstanding, and there were plenty of very strong locks out there as well. So why they are delaying the next 3 smells even more political than what has been served up already.

Fact or Fiction

Bob McCowan (2)
I agree.disappointing to see some quality players miss out this afternoon. #15 from NSW1 was unlucky as too was #7 from NSW1. Both boys had a great tournament and even finished up with a try a piece in the finals today. I'm still finding it hard to come to terms with why their names weren't read out today!
I agree a number of kids are left asking themselves where they went wrong..... good luck to the parents in explaining how life's not fair

Fact or Fiction

Bob McCowan (2)
The aru should at least try to get a few players in the schoolboys who will not be signing NRL contracts straight from school ? As happened last year and will probably happen again !! Given the dire financial state of rugby Why the hell is the aru propping up the much stronger rugby league !!
Player Managers seen talking to players this week, thought that was against the rules

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Reminds me of the final in the Under 16's in 2012 where NSW gave QLD a 30 point head start, and then they decided to play in the second half. Unfortunately the good guys left their run too late in 2012, and the same today with NSW II. Brad Gill was head coach then. Perhaps his specialty is half time talks.

NSW II looked shell shocked in the first half with the backs letting their opponents simply run around and through them as the ball was spun wide and fast. McGregor seemed to be carrying an injury from Thursday which wouldn't have helped the NSW II backline. O'Shea directed traffic well for the I's.
From my position it looked as if McGregor went in with a knee injury and picked up a cork in the other leg in a slightly late charge down.
Renton similarly was injured long before he came off.
It's a hard couple of weeks.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I agree a number of kids are left asking themselves where they went wrong... good luck to the parents in explaining how life's not fair
If they have got to this age and they haven't worked it out then they've either only just taken up the game ( and must not have played cricket) or they've led a charmed existence and a setback may be the best thing for them.

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
Selectors made a lot of incorrect selections today I bet the Kiwis will be laughing

You don't seem to giving Phillpotts much credit. He is the most successful Aussie schools coach against NZ schools in history . 2 wins and and a 1 point loss in last 3 years and only Aussie schoolboys coach to win back to back series. even the NZ commentators were raving about the style of rugby played by the 2012 team . He knows what he wants.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
Maybe we have to develop an Australian game instead of trying to copy NZ.

Once we work out what that game looks like, then develop the coaching and development programmes (including those for the Koala Clubs) to support that game.

Stop trying to out-Kiwi the Kiwis. There has been a time (and in the professional era as well) when we had the measure of them, and they would be genuinely concerned about the outcome whenever we had possession of the ball in a close game.

Bring back the good old days. They were good and not all that old.

Revisiting a post earlier in this thread. Obviously I'm biased as a Tahs' fan but I can't help but wonder if Cheika hasn't given us the modern blueprint for how the Australian game should be played.

Plenty of physicality & accuracy at the breakdown and ruck area, good service from the halves to the backs with various options to bodies in motion. Quick re-alignment in both attack and defence. Kick accurately & either find grass or with runners under the high ball.

These attributes have seen the Tahs with the 2nd best attacking & best defensive records over almost 18 completed rounds of super rugby. Moreover, it's an attractive and winning style that has slowly seen the fickle but frequently disillusioned fans start to come back through the gates.

The recent performance of the Oz U20s team in NZ was demonstrative of this similar style.

Phillpotts also seems to be a fan of this style which has given him an enviable record over NZ schoolboys in recent years. I wish the boys every success in NZ.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Selection is not a precise science. It's debated all the way up to national level. These guys have got a hard time trying to pick a team from a quick tournament. Of course coaches will pick players they know (believe) will do the job for them.

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
wonder if Cheika hasn't given us the modern blueprint for how the Australian game should be played.

Plenty of physicality & accuracy at the breakdown and ruck area, good service from the halves to the backs with various options to bodies in motion. Quick re-alignment in both attack and defence. Kick accurately & either find grass or with runners under the high ball.

I believe that this was how we used to try and play the game before statisticians and the like took over

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Selection is not a precise science. It's debated all the way up to national level. These guys have got a hard time trying to pick a team from a quick tournament. Of course coaches will pick players they know (believe) will do the job for them.

Given the number of posts there are when Wallaby Selections being announced, the reaction to the Aust Schoolboys being announced has been fairly muted in comparison.

Rugby Winner

Bob McCowan (2)
To the players unsuccessful in
making ozboy selection, keep your head up and know that everyone around u is proud of you. It is only the opinion of a handful of selectors and often it's the style of rugby they want the team to play that determines selection of players.

My son was unfortunate to make the squad last year he was devastated only to come back bigger and better this year playing 2nd grade rugby. As an 18 year he is likely to be one the youngest in all of grade, playing well and loving his rugby.

Keep playing your game, this is only a moment in time, you have several more opportunities to come

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Last line is of interest:

R. Asiata ___________QLD 2 __ Anglican Church Grammar School​
T. Blake ____________VIC ____ Marcellin College​
P. Bradford__________NSW 1 __Hunter Sports High School​
E. Craig ____________NSW 1 _ Epping Boys’ High School​
A. Crichton__________NSW 1 _ The Scots College​
N. Duffy ____________NSW 2 _ St Joseph's College, Hunters Hill​
V. Fifita_____________NSW 1 _ Newington College​
J. Fittock ___________QLD 1 __The Southport School​
J. Fulivai____________ACT ___ St Francis Xavier College​
H. Goddard _________NSW 1 _ Oakhill College​
H. Hutchison ________NSW 1 _ St Ignatius’ College​
J. Jackson-Hope______ACT___ St Edmund’s College​
S. Loga-Tarogi ______ NSW 1 _ Newington College​
G. Luka ____________QLD 1 __St Joseph’s Nudgee College​
A. Mafi ____________ QLD 1 __St Joseph’s Nudgee College​
M. Monu____________ACT ___ Canberra College​
C. Moroney _________QLD 1 __St Joseph’s College Gregory Terrace​
C. O’Shea___________NSW 1 _Saint Joseph’s College​
H. Summerhayes ____NSW 1 _Cranbrook School​
A. Tuimaleali'ifano____VIC ___ Rosebourgh Park College​
S. Tuipulotu ________ VIC ___ St. Kevin’s College​
A. Vatuvei __________NSW 1 _Sarah Redfern High School​
S. Vui______________QLD 1 _ Ipswich Grammar School​
3 still to be added​

Roscoe

Frank Nicholson (4)
Last line is of interest:

R. Asiata ___________QLD 2 __ Anglican Church Grammar School​
T. Blake ____________VIC ____ Marcellin College​
P. Bradford__________NSW 1 __Hunter Sports High School​
E. Craig ____________NSW 1 _ Epping Boys’ High School​
A. Crichton__________NSW 1 _ The Scots College​
N. Duffy ____________NSW 2 _ St Joseph's College, Hunters Hill​
V. Fifita_____________NSW 1 _ Newington College​
J. Fittock ___________QLD 1 __The Southport School​
J. Fulivai____________ACT ___ St Francis Xavier College​
H. Goddard _________NSW 1 _ Oakhill College​
H. Hutchison ________NSW 1 _ St Ignatius’ College​
J. Jackson-Hope______ACT___ St Edmund’s College​
S. Loga-Tarogi ______ NSW 1 _ Newington College​
G. Luka ____________QLD 1 __St Joseph’s Nudgee College​
A. Mafi ____________ QLD 1 __St Joseph’s Nudgee College​
M. Monu____________ACT ___ Canberra College​
C. Moroney _________QLD 1 __St Joseph’s College Gregory Terrace​
C. O’Shea___________NSW 1 _Saint Joseph’s College​
H. Summerhayes ____NSW 1 _Cranbrook School​
A. Tuimaleali'ifano____VIC ___ Rosebourgh Park College​
S. Tuipulotu ________ VIC ___ St. Kevin’s College​
A. Vatuvei __________NSW 1 _Sarah Redfern High School​
S. Vui______________QLD 1 _ Ipswich Grammar School​
3 still to be added​

Considering only one genuine lock selected I suspect there might a spot left open for Izack Rodda. Best lock in QLD, out injured atm. Any thoughts!!!

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
which ones?
The ACT fullback caught my eye today, for instance, and yet others think it should have been the NSW Is #15.

Just to put a good word in for the young full back from ACT, Jordan Fulivai.
He has been in Junior Gold squads etc for a good many years now, and currently plays run on fullback for First grade in the JID comp in Canberra.His first grade coach is Owen Finnigan- ex Wallaby/Brumbie! Just putting it out there for any doubters. He's a talented player.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
Very interesting 3 x Vic and 3 x ACT good to see players get a chance at higher honours, even if someone has pulled some strings here to get the 6 in.
No strings for the Vic boys, Sione was the dominant 12 of the tournament, Tom was best on in the last 2 games (only 2 he played due to injury) and Ah-mu progressed from AUS A last year and had a solid tournament.

Big effort for the Vics to get those 3 in, possibly could have had more and I'd say a few will be in the shadow squad and receive letters.

Status
Not open for further replies.