• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Heard Veravis scored a couple not sure about the others, shocking live stream upload footage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
for CS 19 Patrick Carrigan, William Haskin 21 (started at 5/8th) and Michael Fenn (5) all played well in a losing side.

Only saw the closing 20 min of 2nd half in NSW1 v Vic but NSW dominated all over the park. Field position possesion all first rate and this was when all the reserves were on.

Apparently the first half NSW 1 just clinical as you would expect. Kennewell stood out in the backs along with Goddard and Loga Tarogi.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Results from day 1

NSW I 50 (8T 5 Con) def
Vic 17 (3T 1 Con) H/T: NSW 24 - 5 (4T 2 Con - 1T)

Qld I 43 (5T 2 Con 4 PG) def
CS 0 H/T: Qld 23-0 (3T 1 Con 2 PG)

Qld 2 30 (5T 1 Con 1 PG) def
WA 13 (1T Con 2 PG) H/T: Qld 2 20 - 13 ( 3T 1 Con 1PG - 1 T 1 Con 2 PG)

NSW 2 27 (4T 2 Con 1 PG) def
ACT 19 (3T 2 Con) H/T: NSW 24 - 7 (4T 2 Con - 1 T 1 Con)

More detail to come.

Excellent conditions for rugby, although there was a bit of dew around in the first game.

NSW 1: Sharp but made plenty of unforced errors.
NSW 2: Seemed to lose focus late in the first half for the rest of the game. May struggle to beat Q1.
QLD 1: Small piggies but like NSW 1 made plenty of mistakes and left heaps of points on the park. Good team and will probably be in the Gold Medal match. Why all the penalty kicks at goal?
QLD 2: Eventually overcame a very spirited WA. Fitness and depth from the bench was good.
Vic: Looked impressive when they had the ball, but strangled for possession and position by NSW. Will trouble other teams with their fancy pants pace out wide.
WA. How good is Nick Jooste? Were in the game until just before 1/2 time. Vic v WA will be a cracker of a game.
ACT: No standouts but a very tenacious all round effort to never give up and gave it a red hot go. Will trouble others.
CS: Looked like they met in the carpark before the game, as CS always do on Day 1. They have some talent and will get better as the tournament progresses but will struggle against ACT unless they get their combinations working.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Hi Brian

I recall you having quite a bite at me last season (or the season before?) when I raised Glen Cronan's credentials as a selector when he had no significant coaching experience behind him. I recall you speaking in glowing terms of his selecting experience and service to rugby over many years etc etc. How interesting that you are now here offering us:

"..length of time spent in a job means jack shit. I work with a guy that has been in the same job for 22 years..Our politicians show this. It breeds contempt..."

Given that you were just badly burnt, the Fire Brigade's number is 000.

Derick isn't talking about an adult, he's talking about a schoolboy who has a very finite time to play representative rugby in a very strong competition and who has been shown, via his selection for the last three years at state level at least, that he is obviously a very fine player. Hewat' exposure to a National team experience last year implicitly carried the imprimatur of your mate Cronan so we have to assume you agreed with that selection.

Brian, I agree with you that there may be some other boys who are returning players who may have a shot at captaincy - that will be the coach's call. I reckon if I was Phillpotts, I'd be taking Hewat's claims pretty seriously no matter what background he has come from - he presents as physically and emotionally mature and courageous and most importantly as an experienced fellow at this level and that has to be of value to an Australian side if he makes it that far. It didn't seem to do Curtis Browning any harm when he fronted for his third Aust Schools assembly but I note that he won the captaincy over Chris F-Sautia in the same year who also had several Aust Schools experiences under his belt. Curtis' personality and the fact he was the BSHS School Captain lent weight to his claim as well as his experience etc.

Dear M Expert

In for the penny...Lets dissect this.
IIRC, you took to Mr Cronan doubting his abilities and credentials.
Yes I defended him and yes I will defend Glen. He is a very good man manager, with impeccable integrity. I am sorry your son/nephew/mate didn't get picked.

He changed jobs a couple of years ago,. qld schools Rugby he does for love of the game, with expenses barely covered.
So please call your firemen off, there is no fire.

Now to the main crux of this discussion, I have no issue with R Hewat being made captain, and I have not said he shouldn't if you go back and read everything in previous correspondence. My issue is when somebody thinks, that by tenure alone, that he should be made captain is beyond comprehension.
To boldly assert such a statement is always going have a negative impact on those that may not believe it to be the case. Derick firmly asserted in more than one of his posts that R Hewat should be captain. I questioned and gave more than salient alternatives with H Goddard and J McGregor. I also gave numeric lessons too free of charge I might add. If R Hewat does make captain, I will be one of the first to shake the young mans hand, because never once have I said he should not be, if you read what was written correctly.
I just do not like the thought of some myopic view saying he must be.

On the other side of the coin, congrats to both the qld teams starting with a win and hopefully no injuries

I hope this finds you well
Yours Sincerely
B Westlake

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
Qld 1 centres gotta realise the back 3 are skilful if given space to move. Don't know the gameplan but I know where the firepower is,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

smithandwesson

Peter Burge (5)
NSW vs Vic game is being streamed on the first game tomorrow link ????

Thanks for the link. First 10mins is boring, bit like watching grass grow. Title says NT v LM [at the moment], but clearly it's NSW 1 v Vic ,when it's not scrambled..

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Qld 1 centres gotta realise the back 3 are skilful if given space to move. Don't know the gameplan but I know where the firepower is,

I did not get to see the game but I heard the ball very rarely made it down the line, the inside backs were trying to go through the middle. Yeah do hope they use their fire power.

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
Back row 6,7,8 were strong as we're the 4,5 who dominated the line outs. Backs were steady. 10 for WA has a good boot and kept them in the game up til the last 15 minutes. Sorry bout the 2 page gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.