• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
In my view NSW has an embarrassment of talent in 2016.

Not sure who are the official Aussie Schoolboy shadows, but this is the SDW shadow Aussie Schools team

1. Darcy Breen (Scots)
2. Jack Ongosia (Auggies)
3. Todd (Scots)
4. Lawson (Newington)
5. Liam Rasch (Trinity)
6. Kemeny (Cranbrook) or O'Sullivan (Waverley)
7. Hingano (Auggies)
8. Michael Fenn (Riverview)
9. Kyle Brown (Kings)
10. N Shannon (Scots)
11. Jackson Mohi (Waverley)
12. Tyrone T .(Newington)
13. Terry (View)
14. Lachlan Day (Joeys)
15 Bailey Simmonsen (Newington) . I know he has gone to Mungo, but couldn't think of a fullback:)

@SDW very GPS and CAS heavy, No CHS boys?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
They are a big state and lots of rugby and lots of talent. Selectors had to keep in mind that the QLD GPS players haven't played a game yet this season (most of them played soccer term 2). The conditions at View were atrocious, any result was possible and upsets galore did happen.

Which makes the process even more bizarre. What form are they being picked on?

2015 form?

The form of a team which came 6th on muddy fields?

Noting that the 5 teams which finished above them also played on muddy fields - and also observing that they are to tour New Zealand, where muddy fields are reasonably likely.

I realise that you are trying to defend the selectors (and you're doing a manful job), but it's difficult to have a lot of confidence in a selection process as observed in this instance.

Either have a tournament and use it as a selection vehicle or don't have the tournament and just select on previous form.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^^^^^^^
They had trials in Queensland much like the trials we had in Sydney at Shore and Curagul this year, and individual schools had probably trialled beforehand also.

We, from the NSW GPS used to bleat about just having two competition games before the GPS teams were picked whereas the CAS started earlier.

But the individual schools had been in trial games and there were GPS matches against CAS and CHS before the NSW teams were chosen.

I asked one bloke I knew at a Joeys' trial game in those days if he was selecting for GPS or NSW that year, because he was taking notes. He said he wasn't but he was "providing information" for GPS. In other words: the trials of individual schools were taken into account.

Apart from one year when a whacky NSW I team was picked (let's not go into that) and the NSW II squad was palpably better, the NSW teams chosen were pretty close to the mark looking back at them a few months later. This was despite the scrappy selection process.

Queensland had something scrappier still this year and it will be interesting to see if school rugby fans from up there can say a couple of months from now that the wrong boys were chosen in the Queensland teams for the nationals last week.

Sure some new players would have risen, as they do everywhere, but more likely they will say that the selections made at the time were reasonable given the circumstances - that it was just a poor vintage, and/or that the lads were not match-hardened.

Breaks_Away

Sydney Middleton (9)
Does anyone know the announcement date for the final Australian School Boys team?
One player yet to be added - (26th player)
I believe from under an injury cloud prior to the NSW championship, does anybody know who these players are that are up for possible selection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
Does anyone know the announcement date for the final Australian School Boys team?
One player yet to be added - (26th player)
I believe from under an injury cloud prior to the NSW championship, does anybody know who these players are that are up for possible selection?

I heard Eddie Fryer from Combined States (Sydney CHS Cromer High) has been pulled into the Shadow Squad this week.
Well done Eddie - but gotta say, the way the top performing teams at the tournament NSW 1 & 2 has and continue to be overlooked is quite astonishing.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
With the QLD GPS competition underway, and the various NSW schools competitions finishing up last weekend, there is still a chance of adjustments to the squads based on injuries.

I reckon the final announcement won't be made until all the School competitions are finished and medical screenings finalised.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
I heard Eddie Fryer from Combined States (Sydney CHS Cromer High) has been pulled into the Shadow Squad this week.
Well done Eddie - but gotta say, the way the top performing teams at the tournament NSW 1 & 2 has and continue to be overlooked is quite astonishing.

what position does he play?

Breaks_Away

Sydney Middleton (9)
So Eddie has been pulled into the shadow group(well done Eddie) am I correct in saying the shadows are reserves for the Australian Barbarian team? and if so would that mean the 26th player has yet to be named for the Australian School boys?

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
As just published on Schools Rugby website 'News' - Aus Schools to tour NZ and Samoa

image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.