• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Even in Kew (a Melbourne suburb) there's about 4 large all-male rugby schools - all with boarding houses and within a 5 minute tram ride. They could park the different state teams across these and have it hosted as a joint effort.
It was held at Ballymore in 2010?
Accomodation was not included,but they had activities for the kids on non playing days.
Seemed to work ok, from reports I heard.
Most interstate kids have at least one parent supporting and/or relatives/friends they can stay with.
The ARU seems to have solved a problem that doesn't exist by providing compulsory accommodation at the venue.
So if they stop providing accomodation,there are a multitude of possible alternative venues.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Pulver made a speech at Riverview a few years ago,inferring that
a) it was an ARU initiative
b) ARU was heavily subsidising the event

Well I 'll be Badgered.

I will go back and get my $10 donation back I gave to the bloke on the gate at Riverview.

He made it pretty clear it was shoestring stuff and money was being raised for ASRU

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
It was held at Ballymore in 2010?
Accomodation was not included,but they had activities for the kids on non playing days.
Seemed to work ok, from reports I heard.
Most interstate kids have at least one parent supporting and/or relatives/friends they can stay with.
The ARU seems to have solved a problem that doesn't exist by providing compulsory accommodation at the venue.
So if they stop providing accomodation,there are a multitude of possible alternative venues.
I completely understand the point you're making.

However, staying together is so key to the 'tour' experience. It's not just 'play rugby then get picked up'. This will be the highest level 60% of these young men every play and one of the more memorable experiences of their lives.

I've been involved in a few of these tours at younger levels.

rollin_maul

Peter Burge (5)
The 2015 tour saw NZ play Samoa at Sunnybank
NZ play the Aus Babas & Aus Schools play Samoa at the Gregory Terrace fields
And Aus Babas play Samoa & Aus vs NZ schools at Ballymore

Aus Schools and Baa Baas matches tend to be played in different places each year. It's the National Schools Championship (contested by the State and Territory sides) that have been held at Riverview College Lane Cove for a few years in row and will be held there again in 2017. It's this tournament that some, myself included, are saying are due for a location change.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The ASRU Championships have been played in Adelaide, Canberra, Darwin, Hobart, Melbourne and Perth in years past. This competition doesn't have to stick to Brisbane and Sydney.

Read here: http://www.schoolsrugby.com.au/results/asru-championships/

You'd like to think that the ASRU could get the name of their own trophies correct on their website.

B.H. "Jika" Sir Edward Travers Shield and the Edward "Weary"Dunlop Trophy.

I can be corrected on this, but I don't believe that Jika Travers was ever knighted (although maybe he should have been for caning a boy who kicked a soccer ball onto the field - but I digress), nor do I think that any of his christian names are Edward. On the other hand, Weary Dunlop has been knighted.

Maybe they're playing for; the B.H. "Jika" Travers Shield and the Sir Edward "Weary" Dunlop Trophy?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Aus Schools and Baa Baas matches tend to be played in different places each year. It's the National Schools Championship (contested by the State and Territory sides) that have been held at Riverview College Lane Cove for a few years in row and will be held there again in 2017. It's this tournament that some, myself included, are saying are due for a location change.

It actually has the worst playing surface of any of the GPS grounds in Sydney. I understand that teams being able to use the boarding facilities is the main reason why it's held there.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
It actually has the worst playing surface of any of the GPS grounds in Sydney. I understand that teams being able to use the boarding facilities is the main reason why it's held there.
And nobody can organise a bus to run the boys to Northbridge or Joeys where there are better grounds that would do justice to this event

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
And nobody can organise a bus to run the boys to Northbridge or Joeys where there are better grounds that would do justice to this event

I somehow think schools won't want to do the admin of hosting the teams in their beds without the prestige of the tournament being played on their fields.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Joeys has the best playing surface. I'm not sure that Northbridge is that much better than Riverview.

Disagree @QH.... Kings has a better surface than Joeys and is a proper size. Joeys is shorter and has awfully small ingoals. Joeys however is a better ground to watch Rugby as the crowd is closer to the action.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Does it have to be played at a GPS school ?

It doesn't have to be held at a GPS school, however a key advantage of holding it at a venue such as a private school is that the school generally owns their grounds which means suburban council's wet weather Nazis don't get a say on whether the grounds will be shut in the event of inclement weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.