• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
another year done and dusted ... not sure whether they nominate a player of the tournament, but I must say the Kiwi 15 stood out in a star studded Kiwi side

related to All Black Nanai- Williams I gather ... so no doubt one to watch

him and the winger Leicester Faingaanuku

in terms of Aussies ... hmmm ... either Darcy Breen (prop) or Charlie Rorke (breakaway)

in terms of the SDW headscratchers ... who might of been there and might of made a difference in 2017 ....would have to say Billy Smith ($cots) a razzle dazzle centre (injured?) or Liam Cornish (Waverley), who I would have picked ahead of Moretti, which isn't really a criticism of Moretti ... just my opinion

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
another year done and dusted . not sure whether they nominate a player of the tournament, but I must say the Kiwi 15 stood out in a star studded Kiwi side

related to All Black Nanai- Williams I gather . so no doubt one to watch

him and the winger Leicester Faingaanuku

in terms of Aussies . hmmm . either Darcy Breen (prop) or Charlie Rorke (breakaway)

in terms of the SDW headscratchers . who might of been there and might of made a difference in 2017 ..would have to say Billy Smith ($cots) a razzle dazzle centre (injured?) or Liam Cornish (Waverley), who I would have picked ahead of Moretti, which isn't really a criticism of Moretti . just my opinion

Spot on with those NZ boys outstanding , I also thought there 7 was terrific a true menace , excellent on the ball. I thought the Aus forwards were very competitive but in the backs especially the centres just didn't click , maybe billy smith, Brooklyn hardaker and Tristan O'reilly might of made a difference but the reality is the NZ boys were far to Powerful , skillfull and fast for the Aus schoolboys on the day .

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I thought the stand outs for Australian Schoolboys over the two matches were:

Lachlan Lonergan. Played a classic Hookers game and will be one to watch
Will Harrison, Led well and covered a lot of territory in defence.
Tom Kibble, Made an impact when he came on and worked well with Rorke
Charlie Rorke, consistent performer.

The NZ boys were very strong across the paddock. They had a fit mobile pack but the difference was their ability to break the Australian defensive line through the backs.

For the Australian Barbarians, I thought the following players stood out:

Campbell Parata managed the midfield well and has an excellent boot
Dylan Dowling, a perfect pest at half back who delivered excellent service. Were it not for a couple of handling errors against NZ, he could have been pressing for Aussie Schoolboys.
Viliama Lea fixed his defensive errors present against NZ and had an impressive game against Fiji

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
The difference in the NZ v Aussie schoolboys was the error free play of the Kiwis and faultless offloads both in broken play and in backline moves. I think I only saw one or two handling errors whereas the Aussie kids made a few which were costly. Good game to watch tho'. I thought the Barbarians were very lucky v Fiji.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I thought the stand outs for Australian Schoolboys over the two matches were:

Lachlan Lonergan. Played a classic Hookers game and will be one to watch
Will Harrison, Led well and covered a lot of territory in defence.
Tom Kibble, Made an impact when he came on and worked well with Rorke
Charlie Rorke, consistent performer.

The NZ boys were very strong across the paddock. They had a fit mobile pack but the difference was their ability to break the Australian defensive line through the backs.

For the Australian Barbarians, I thought the following players stood out:

Campbell Parata managed the midfield well and has an excellent boot
Dylan Dowling, a perfect pest at half back who delivered excellent service. Were it not for a couple of handling errors against NZ, he could have been pressing for Aussie Schoolboys.
Viliama Lea fixed his defensive errors present against NZ and had an impressive game against Fiji

I agree with everyone's comments here, clearly we all saw the same thing.

My take out, which I have seen year after year, is that we tend to jam people into positions to get them in a team, we break winning combinations.

Execution in our backs was our issue, all our forwards were very competitive.

We made no changes after the BA BAS game against the NZ boys, and you could argue that after just 1 game you shouldn't and that's fair enough.

But my thoughts are as follows:

1. Will Harrison was great but should have been moved into inside centre with Ben Donaldson at 10,and either Mike Pavlakis or Jimenze (ACT) should have been 15.
Brooklyn Hardaker could also have played at 12 but was given no chance by the NSW1 coach during the aussie tournament.

2. Nick Frost in particular was terrific, not only in the line outs, but in general play.
Lonergan was everywhere and strong.

Why a coach would wait until the last 12 minutes to bring on the bench players beggers belief.Imagine flying Grandma and Pop in to see their boy play in the Aussie team and he comes on when the game is over - horrible and strategically stupid treatment.

I also think Finn Wright should have been used in the starting line up and Moretti for his aggressiveness,just my opinion.

Going forward we either need new coaches or they have a good hard look at these events.

The NZ team was superb, take nothing away from them,we just didn't put our best foot forward.

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
I agree with everyone's comments here, clearly we all saw the same thing.

My take out, which I have seen year after year, is that we tend to jam people into positions to get them in a team, we break winning combinations.

Execution in our backs was our issue, all our forwards were very competitive.

We made no changes after the BA BAS game against the NZ boys, and you could argue that after just 1 game you shouldn't and that's fair enough.

But my thoughts are as follows:

1. Will Harrison was great but should have been moved into inside centre with Ben Donaldson at 10,and either Mike Pavlakis or Jimenze (ACT) should have been 15.
Brooklyn Hardaker could also have played at 12 but was given no chance by the NSW1 coach during the aussie tournament.

2. Nick Frost in particular was terrific, not only in the line outs, but in general play.
Lonergan was everywhere and strong.

Why a coach would wait until the last 12 minutes to bring on the bench players beggers belief.Imagine flying Grandma and Pop in to see their boy play in the Aussie team and he comes on when the game is over - horrible and strategically stupid treatment.

I also think Finn Wright should have been used in the starting line up and Moretti for his aggressiveness,just my opinion.

Going forward we either need new coaches or they have a good hard look at these events.

The NZ team was superb, take nothing away from them,we just didn't put our best foot forward.

Agree with the comments. I to think it's time for a change regarding coaches and definitely selection policies.
Frost was outstanding. Strong carries, strong in the line outs, and fantastic work ethic.
Kibble was unbelievable. The centres were disappointing. I think Jordan would have been better at fullback. Look at his season with Brisbane State.
Hopa needed more ball. Still can't believe he's 16. Ben played well at nationals as a 10, but didn't fit for the 15 role.
I think the better 9's were in the Barbarian's. I feel sorry Hunt who had an outstanding nationals and school season and led Nudgee College to a premiership. But confused why he was overlooked. I liked the enthusiasm Dylan bought and agree with the comments.
Parata can't tackle. He hides in defence. Fantastic boot, but that's about it.
The question I have is why do coaches sit behind the goal line and still make decisions for the boys. Let them think and make decisions for themselves. That's why you pick them. I think that's why NZ are far better. They let the boys play and express themselves. They make a mistake they move on and try again. That was the notable difference. There not scared to take risks. To much politics and in order to beat the Kiwis we need change. Maybe a super rugby assistant coach or something that has to ties to schools rugby. This is just my opinions.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Yes I thought bringing on the bench players in the last 12 minutes was a bit of a barstard act for the kids.

Rugbybloke123

Herbert Moran (7)
Im very curious as to what all the hype around 10 Will Harrison is. I was at the game on the weekend and he seemed to offer nothing, his kicks were often pointless and only travelled 30-40m in defence he certainly wasn't a force to be reckoned with, in attack he didn't set up anything (as seen by the lack of metres made by the backs of set play). Not to knock the kid but if it is true he was selected by playing a good game for randwick thirds colt against west harbour i'd be very angry if i was one of the boys who missed out. Compared to last years flyhalves (doueihi and lucas) who were both electric Harrison seemed out of place on the field. I would've preferred Jimenze at 15 and donaldson at 10.

The real Wally

Frank Nicholson (4)
Agree with Rugbybloke123. Can someone explain how a lad plays two games in colts (is it true it was 3rds) breaks a leg, does not play any games in the NSW comp or the Aussie trials, does not make the initial Australian Squad but then is added a few weeks after and then gets the captaincy? He is clearly a handy player but all of those kids that have played well all through the season and then at the national champs would have to feel a little annoyed. Will Goddard??? Does anyone know anything about the politics of this selection?

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
It's not like Harrison was plucked from nowhere. He was in the Australian Schools Barbarians team in 2016, along with Abra, Wilson, Osbourne, Frost, Rorke, Stanghorn, Peteia and possibly others.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Harrison was also in NSW II team at 2016 nationals tournament, that beat NSW I in final and according to GAGR report from that game, he was one of the standouts in the NSW II backline.

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
Harrison and Donaldson both excellent players , Harrison returning from serious injury and held his own , maybe one of these boys might get another chance with the Aus 7 s in NZ.

Troy Dickson

Herbert Moran (7)
Harrison and Donaldson both excellent players , Harrison returning from serious injury and held his own , maybe one of these boys might get another chance with the Aus 7 s in NZ.

^ Do you think the ARU selectors for Aus Schoolboys 7s will back the ARU selector Adrian Thompson and Pat Lantry for their Aus schools team selections ?

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
^ Do you think the ARU selectors for Aus Schoolboys 7s will back the ARU selector Adrian Thompson and Pat Lantry for their Aus schools team selections ?

Yes , for sure . As I said both good players Harrison probably better 7s player but what would I know.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
The difference between AUS and NZ schools this year and most years is mainly the continuity that NZ are able to bring. They look like a well oiled machine whereas we usually have flashes of individual brilliance but lack solid structure. Not sure if NZ have longer to prepare but it seems to be a recurring issue for us.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Who from 2017 Schools and Barbars team will be eligible for selection in 2018. Names I am aware of are:

Angus Bell - 2017 Schoolboys prop
Albert Hopoate - 2017 Schoolboys winger
Max Douglas - 2017 Barbars lock
Luca Moretti- 2017 Barbars back row
Brendan Jiminez - 2017 Barbars fullback.

There must be more. Who have i missed?

Breaks_Away

Sydney Middleton (9)
Heard from a reliable source that Charlie Rourke Australian Schoolboys blindside flanker has jumped Code’s !
He has signed up with the Raiders!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.