• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Sport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
While watching the cricket this morning me and my laaitie had a discussion about Australia sport. His question was: Why is Australia so damn good in most sports? He obvious have a big passion for hockey and have a massive admiration for the way Aussie play hockey. You are up there or there about with rugby, cricket and most Olympic sports and must do something right.

What do you Aussies think is the reason for this?

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Hoesit Boet??? :)
I think the reasoning is, at least in the past, was to get in and have a go. Exactly the same as you guys!
Those that live near the ocean surf and fish and played the respective team sports of cricket and Rugby for their schools and the bru's up the hill (Veldt)play Rugby and soccer in winter and Cricket and hockey in summer.
It was about participating and making sure that you and your mates had fun.
You being a Paarl boy must have had sooooo many 'bok through your school it wasn't funny. You only had to go to the change rooms to revel in the names... DeVilliers, Barry and Big Kobus et al
It is the history that makes the sport in the schools and the lads are proud to step into the shoes of their forefathers(Handre Pollard). This is what happens here too in a lot of ways. In Hockey you just have to look at the Charlesworth family.
In Rugby, I think it is part and parcel of the child's upbringing. I was still playing when my children were born and I never forced Rugby upon them directly, they were AROUND sports people so they ran, tackled, kicked and batted and bowled.
It led to healthy young men that are now leaders in their respective areas.
Both are playing still and it is great to watch them play every Saturday..
So I think Paarl, that it comes from the background of having fun with your mates first, and then the drive to stake a claim in you sport. It maybe personal pride... I don't know... I never achieved much, but by Christ I enjoyed my sport all the time I could play it!!!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It's a number of things, Paarl. The climate has a lot to do with it I think. In most parts of Australia it's possible to play outdoor sports nearly all year round. That's a massive plus. Our school system (public and especially private) still encourages sports participation, though I don't think it's what it once was in all cases. We've also got a bit of a chip on our shoulder about our place in the world at times and excellence in sport is one way of showing people we're not just some pissant island at the bottom of the world. Successful sports people are therefore revered here. It's also, as Brian says, being out there with your mates and being as good as you can be.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Funding, plain and simple. We used to spend more than all the rest to get ahead. But with the changes from the 2009 Crawford report they have cut funding from the Olympic program and we have quickly come back to the pack.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Aus always put up a fight, sledge good and will do this till the end while very passionate about their sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.