• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian tour of SA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That's it. Declared.

Total for the Saffers to win is 511.

Good Guys need 10 wickets in about 120 overs (4 sessions +1/2 hour).

Too Easy Campese.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
End of day 4 and Saffas are just four down.

Amla and Smith are back in the pavilion. AB de Villiers is as solid as a rock, nightwatchman Abbott with him but looking shaky.

440 to win but that's pretty irrelevant right now. AB the obvious key wicket but lets not forget the resolve of Faf Du Plessis.

Aussies should win it from here.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Write off Abbott's wicket. He won't last.

Its bloody AB and Faf we need to worry about. Need to crack AB early tomorrow and he won't want to repeat his dud shot of last innings.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'd say we're about 50/50 to win this game. There is still some good batting to come and these boys know how to stonewall. Fortunately we have a fully fit attack and Clarke will use them all in short bursts and try to keep the game move moving. AB and/or Faf are the key wickets to get today. If they're gone then we're well into the tail.

One last effort fellas -- throw every last bit of ammunition you've got at them and then take a well deserved rest.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
50/50? Really? I get what you're saying. SA are excellent at keeping their wickets, particularly AB and Faf, but in the history of test cricket, I think if you're starting the 5th day 4 wickets down needing to survive, your odds are probably less than 10% chance of success.

There's only been 14 tests (from the source I could find) where a side has batted for longer than 4 sessions to save a match in the fourth innings.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Think about it fellas: de Villiers and du Plessis have twice in the last couple of years batted huge amounts of time in hopeless situations to see their teams to safety. They are very good at it. I still think we can get the job done, but don't underestimate these boys.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah but for 100 overs? Don't forget when that happened our attack was Siddle, Hilfenhaus, Pattinson and Lyon.

Pattinson got injured and didn't bowl at all. Very different circumstances now.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah Siddle drove himself into the ground that game. Tough bastard - almost made me become a vegetarian but then I remembered bacon was awesome squared.

This time we've got the Notch, we've got the Ryno, and Pattinson should be fresh. Wish it hadn't rained on the pitch because Lyon could have done a job too.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The moisture left by the rain on day 2 should well and truly be dried out by the fierce winds in Cape Town. I still hold hope Lyon's performance on day 5 will prove to be crucial. If these buggers hold out for 100 overs they deserve a draw. A day of cricket I'd dearly like to be at.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah but for 100 overs? Don't forget when that happened our attack was Siddle, Hilfenhaus, Pattinson and Lyon.

Pattinson got injured and didn't bowl at all. Very different circumstances now.

Yeah, 100 overs. Look at their performance against India before Christmas. I feel good about our chances overall, because have a better bowling attack than India, but we're going to have to work bloody hard for it I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.