• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian tour of SA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Now the dust has settled on the test series, it is worth looking at how some of the more marginal participants shaped up.

At the top of the order, Warner played so well and with such consistency that he cannot now be regarded as a marginal selection. Rogers played steadily with a couple of good innings and didn't let the side down at all.

Watto missed two out of three games as usual, but seemed to fit in at 6 ok in the third test. Still needs to be able to bowl for longer periods to be regarded as a certain all-round selection.

Marsh is still as much an unknown as ever. First test was great, but the second was a disaster for him. Not likely to be given another chance imo.

Doolan looks the goods at No 3 in terms of batting style. Looks to have a lot of time when batting and a fairly good array of shots. Also a revelation fielding at bat pad. Will get better with more time in the team. Expect him to stay.

Hughes didn't get a go in any of the tests. Still likely to be the next cab off the rank.

Smith is improving all the time and had a very good tour. Would like to see him improve his leggies in future series.

Pattinson bowled exceptionally in the third test given how long it had been since he had played first class cricket. Will be better than Siddle in future, but can'r fault Siddle's attitude and willingness to do the hard yards.

All others are secure in their spots so long as they are fit.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The bigger question I feel is who the next generation is. I'm not too concerned in the bowling ranks as I reckon we have plenty of pace bowlers ready to stand up.

It's who will replace Clarke, Rogers etc when the time comes. We really need the Lynns, Maddisons, Finches et al to show consistent form.

And us Wade Haddin's automatic replacement or is Paine in the picture?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Totally agree Reg. The bloke who I've wanted to step up more is Callum Ferguson. Now he's had knee trouble and that's held back his development but jeez he looks quality. I agree on Maddinson too. He's the next generation and already looks a terrific player, but needs to make a ton of runs in the next twelve months to keep his name up there. Ditto with Lynn. I don't rate Aaron Finch as a test prospect, I think his game is currently too loose. Carters and Cooper have both had excellent Shield seasons, so hopefully they can back that up with even more runs next summer.

Paine would be my choice as 'keeper.

T

Train Without a Station

Doolan looks the goods at No 3 in terms of batting style. Looks to have a lot of time when batting and a fairly good array of shots. Also a revelation fielding at bat pad. Will get better with more time in the team. Expect him to stay.

Can't really agree with that at all. He had one good innings and otherwise, has done nothing. He's averaging 31, which is exactly what I expected of him. To say he has looked the goods is very generous. For all the flack Watson cops, he manages a good knock more regularly than once in six innings.

If he is our best option at 3, or our best option to be the last batsman in our 6, then we are in trouble.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
When Hadden give it up there are two way the selectors could go.

With the experienced yet ageing Pain or Wade.

Or blood a young guy who will be there for a long time to come abs that guy is Sam Whitman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Peter Nevill is 28 already which could work against him, but he could certainly be a chance at being the next Australian test keeper. His glovework is good and he is averaging 40 with the bat in first class cricket.

He's also from NSW so he should have a nice head start over everyone else. ;)

T

Train Without a Station

He's actually from Victoria originally. Is he 28 already? I thought he was a year or two younger. Quite handy with the blade and good with the gloves.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Seeing as this is the current cricket thread, I'll just post here.

The first day of the final Sheffield Shield round turned everything on its head.

NSW is now in the box seat to make the final and possibly host it after rolling WA for 82. You'd have to figure that WA's chances of even making the final are all but gone. NSW is 4/127 at stumps and would be looking to bat for as much of the day as possible to build the lead. WA's only chance is to roll them early and not have too much of a first innings deficit. Shaun Marsh got another duck yesterday.

Tasmania are well ahead of SA and if they win that game, it opens the door for Queensland who can make the final if they beat Victoria outright and neither SA nor WA win. Queensland are ahead of Victoria after day 1 but that is the closest of the three matches so far.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
WA has had a good morning considering yesterday and have Bowled NSW out for 186 so NSW has a lead of 104 so they still have a chance i guess a slim chance.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
WA has had a good morning considering yesterday and have Bowled NSW out for 186 so NSW has a lead of 104 so they still have a chance i guess a slim chance.

Yeah, I'm disappointed that NSW has kept WA in the game.

300 for WA here in the second dig could really give them a chance to win outright.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
my word this is a fascinating last round.

Great to see Hopesy wrap up the tail for QLD. LOve that man. Now Joey Burns is in the runs too.

Happy to see Agar get a five-for for the non-drinkers from Perth.

I'm getting confused as to what QLD need to happen to get in the final, but in the end I guess they just need to win the game first.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm so confused by all the permutations of this last round of the Shield I can't work out if the other games going on are even remotely in WA's favour.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
WA are 6/213 with a lead of 110 runs with Marsh and Agar still in maybe some life left in the match I think something like 150 would be defendable but they would be hoping for something 200+

Status
Not open for further replies.