• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian tour of SA

Status
Not open for further replies.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Is it Sayers who has been bowling quiet well in Shield?

He has been consistent over the past two seasons but I'm not sure he offers anything we don't already have

Although he averages 22.00 with the ball he doesn't have express pace of Johnson and is a similar right arm medium pace style to Watson. He also heavily relies on late out-swing with the old ball for wickets.

Also being 26yrs old now and averaging 12.47 with the bat aren't exactly assets.

If he continues with the consistency he has shown in the last two seasons we may see him play for Australia but I doubt he would be a feature in our best XI.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
As for Phil Hughes,

Now is your chance to prove everybody wrong.

Fingers crossed he can carry his form to the international arena. I have a feeling that if he has a bad tour it could really effect his confidence to the point in which he never plays for Australia again. The Proteas will certainly target him as a potential weakness early in the innings considering his mental and technical difficulties in the past.

A few big scores early and he could have a long test career ahead of him.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
The Proteas may target Hughes, though no less than they would have Marsh. Given the success Hughes has had against them and the form he is in I would not be surprised if they are less comfortable having Hughes there as backup.

Coming in as injury backup does not make it easy for him. He is unlikely to feature in the first test so may end up with 3 or 4 innings if he is lucky. If he does not perform it won't help in the future. Compare that with Bailey who had 5 tests in a row with no pressure and could not perform. Hughes must be judged on an extended period in the side. He was poorly treated after scoring 81no in the first test in England when he was dropped when a number of players could have been.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It seems like they have to pick Hughes or Doolan in the first test and probably at number 6 (it seems like Watson will stay at 3).

I'm hoping Hughes gets a crack and makes the most of it. South African conditions suit him and depsite their excellent pace bowling lineup, their bowling attack is probably one that suits Hughes in the fact that spin isn't South Africa's strong point.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
As for Phil Hughes,

Now is your chance to prove everybody wrong.

Fingers crossed he can carry his form to the international arena. I have a feeling that if he has a bad tour it could really effect his confidence to the point in which he never plays for Australia again. The Proteas will certainly target him as a potential weakness early in the innings considering his mental and technical difficulties in the past.

A few big scores early and he could have a long test career ahead of him.

It is a choice between Hughes and Doolan to replace Bailley in the lineup. Will Watson continue to bat 3? Michael Clarke has indicated he will. So will the new batsman play at 6, or perhaps at 4 and push Clarke and Smith down a place. Will the decision on where to bat the replacement determine who gets the nod? For example, would Hughes have more chance at 3 and Doolan more chance at 6?

I know that Hughes has the better record in SS but I really do think he hasn't got the batting technique to consistently succeed at test level, and I am more than uneasy about him facing the SA pace attack because I believe they have worked him out after his sensational first couple of tests. I am leaning therefore towards favouring Doolan at 6. At the very least I would expect him to score as many runs there as George did in the Ashes series, but hopefully a lot more.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
When you compare Hughes and Doolan it's a hard argument to suggest that Doolan should be picked.

Hughes is three years younger and his record both overall and especially this season are substantially better than Doolan's.

I don't think the argument that Hughes has had multiple shots before really counts for much. Doolan hasn't scored the runs to demand the opportunity in the past.

T

Train Without a Station

I don't get how Hughes lacks the "technique" to succeed at test level. Doolan clearly hasn't shown the technique at FC level, otherwise he would have succeeded.

I'd like to see Hughes at 6. This series, and next. Then if he is performing well let's look at moving him if it will strengthen the line up.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Ordinarily I would agree TWAS, but Watson at three makes me want to continually smash my head with a hammer. He has massive issues against the new ball when it's decking around a bit and it will be doing plenty of that in the Republic. Expect to see him getting out caught behind and LBW a lot.

Hughes, on the other hand, is a genuine top order player and IMHO should bat at three if selected. I have my doubts about his technique, but the avalanche of runs at first class level over his career can't really be ignored. I think it's a case of "how many" and not "how" where Phil is concerned. I just hope that if he does get selected that he smashes the arse out of this series and proves he belongs at the top level.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I don't get how Hughes lacks the "technique" to succeed at test level. Doolan clearly hasn't shown the technique at FC level, otherwise he would have succeeded.

I'd like to see Hughes at 6. This series, and next. Then if he is performing well let's look at moving him if it will strengthen the line up.

If Hughes is picked, I expect it to be at No3 despite Clarke's support for Watto at 3. Haven't seen him bat this year at all, but previously he had a tendency to move his front foot down the pitch, ie stump to stump, to fast balls outside off stump and his backswing was hardly what you'd call straight. Often resulted in slips/gully catches. Unless he has made improvements in his "technique" in these areas, bowlers of the calibre of Steyn, Morkel etc will again find him out.

I still think if Watto stays at 3, Doolan would suit 6 better than Hughes.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
surely Doolan is the favorite to bat (and likely at 3)? Considering Hughes is a replacement, Doolan would be the leading candidate right?

T

Train Without a Station

BR, much like if Doolan hasn't succeeded much at FC level, he will also almost certainly get found out against a better calibre attack.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
proteas will miss the great Kallizzzzz. Myself really like Quintin de Kock. He should have been in the test sqaud at least as backup wickey. Would not mind if he could started, great opening batsman and wickey which would free up AB de Villiers. Anyway our team will not much differ from:
Smith, Petersen, Amla, Faf, AB, JP, McClaren, Peterson, Philander, Steyn, Morkel.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
proteas will miss the great Kallizzzzz. Myself really like Quintin de Kock. He should have been in the test sqaud at least as backup wickey. Would not mind if he could started, great opening batsman and wickey which would free up AB de Villiers. Anyway our team will not much differ from:
Smith, Petersen, Amla, Faf, AB, JP, McClaren, Peterson, Philander, Steyn, Morkel.

Yeah, I've noticed there is some love about for Quinin de Kock. I didn't think Thami was that bad a wicketkeeper, but you would have a better idea than me Paarl. How is Thami's batting and keeping?

In the end though, I don't think it really matters who the reserve wicky is. AB will be the keeper for your lot, end of story.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Yeah, I've noticed there is some love about for Quinin de Kock. I didn't think Thami was that bad a wicketkeeper, but you would have a better idea than me Paarl. How is Thami's batting and keeping?

In the end though, I don't think it really matters who the reserve wicky is. AB will be the keeper for your lot, end of story.
They both play for the Lions and de Kock si their wikey. de |Kock knocked three tons in a row in the ODIs against India. One of the most talented young batters we have in SA and should be a shoe in. Skin Colour the problem here. Just stupid politics.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Interesting debate, you'd have to think Doolan is in line for the first test as Hughes is a replacement selection.

We will probably see:
Warner, Rogers, Watson, Clarke, Smith, Doolan, Haddin, Johnson, Siddle, Harris, Lyon

Our best line up is probably:
Warner, Rogers, Hughes, Clarke, Smith, Watson, Haddin, Johnson, Siddle, Harris, Lyon

Jeez, that South African team is scary even without Kallis :(

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Watson's problem is he continually tries to play his ODI pressing style in tests. One of the great arts of test cricket is deciding which balls to leave, Watson hasn't mastered this subtle skill even after playing 50 or so tests. I hesitate to give the Saffers a leg up, but someone like Harris with his ability to move batsmen across the crease before delivering a ball they're tempted to nibble at would clean Watson up every time. How many times has Shane been caught behind driving balls outside off-stump? Deliveries he should've left! Or out LBW driving outside the line of the ball?

The time's rapidly approaching when Watson should be moved to 6. But, of course, we must have an adequate replacement at first drop. When we find one this lot could become a great side.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Not sure what Australia is trying to achieve by all this pre-match banter in the press. I don't think Clarke is doing any favours to his side by labelling them the 'best bowling attack in the world' and it will just fire up the Proteas.

Whilst it may have worked against the Poms at home, I don't think the South Africans will back down on their home turf with the quality of players they have.

Lehman seems to have imprinted his style on the team and much of it appears to be based on psychological victories. Being a player during such a successful era of Australian cricket has obviously had an affect on his coaching methods but IMO he doesn't have the cattle just yet to back up such claims.

Also word is Doolan did not train due to illness.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I tend to agree Light, but then again I'm of the view that when you lose you say nothing and even less when you win. I'm all for the boys *playing* tough, confrontational cricket -- that's after all what has made us the most successful test nation ever. I just don't like gobbing off in the press. If you're that good then you don't need to say anything.

With all of that said, the Saffers are world champions at the banter as well.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Watson to miss the first test.

That is very, very bad news. I guess now Hughes and Doolan are both in line for a start unless the selectors want to gamble with Coulter-Nile or Henriques.

I'd go with Doolan and sacrifice the one less bowling option but knowing our selectors Henriques will get the all-rounder spot at 6.

Will probably see: Warner, Rogers, Hughes, Clarke, Smith, Doolan/Henriques, Haddin, Johnson, Siddle, Harris, Lyon.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Conn is suggesting that Henriques will get a run with Doolan at 3. Weaken the batting to play an average all rounder is dumb. I hate all rounders, unless that person could hold a batting or bowling position on there own merits such as Kallis.

Status
Not open for further replies.