• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian tour of SA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
198-8 as the Saffers wobble past the follow on target.

This eliminates the debate on whether Clarkie should enforce the follow on or not.

Gee ABdV is playing well. Hope he can make his ton.

and as I type ABdV falls for 91. Well played Sir.

SAF 202-9. They will struggle from here now.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
We are fair dinkum giving these blokes a towelling at the moment. I was quietly hopeful that we do well first up, but this was totally unexpected. They look really rattled, the Saffers. It would take an incredible effort from them to salvage this game now.

Oh, and you know the best part? If they keep playing like this, there may not be a spot for Watson in the team.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Aus 1/205 in the second dig.

Saffas look seriously disinterested now and can't really blame them. Chase is 396 and doesn't look like a declaration is coming anytime soon.

Well done Dave Warner on another ton with some entertaining shots. Doolan has also been incredibly impressive and starting to show some confidence taking on the attack.

Warner 115*, Doolan 76*. Hoping the later can bring up a ton in his debut test.

1-0 is nearly inevitable.

T

tranquility

We are fair dinkum giving these blokes a towelling at the moment. I was quietly hopeful that we do well first up, but this was totally unexpected. They look really rattled, the Saffers. It would take an incredible effort from them to salvage this game now.

Oh, and you know the best part? If they keep playing like this, there may not be a spot for Watson in the team.

It's a funny one, because the team certainley looks more settled with the extra batsman. Let's be honest, if we didn't have the extra batsman in the first innings who knows where we would be.

The reality is though, that Watson will come back in. But how do you drop either of Doolan or Marsh? I take it that Doolan would probably have to be the one to make way, but then do you push Marsh to 3?

Surely in light of watching Doolan play at 3 we can't persevere with Watson at 3, and do we want to muck up Marsh batting at 4? Apples and passion-fruits.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Great work Aussies. Mitch is just sensational at the moment. Loving Doolan's work but Warner? It just sticks in my head that most his recent 100s at least have been in the 2nd innings under little pressure. Will have to verify that but that's how it seems to me.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'm loving it too, but by this logic, if Philander rolls us in the second innings, he goes from being fat and crap to being a world beater. o_O

No danger of that. Are you even listening? Let me put it more clearly:

Philander is an over-rated fat fuck.

Currently has one wicket @ 97.

Steyn starred well but fell to bits once the heat came on, as always happens. No support from Phatlander makes this no surprise, but Morkel is also ineffectual.

The delicious irony is the shitty part time spinners are the ones getting wickets over the supposed best pace attack in the world.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Fuck Watson.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The issue of F U Watson's future on the Oz test cricket team crossed my mind today, too. You may've noted some time ago I called for him to return to the Sheffield Shield, to play five or so matches without physical impairment before any sort of consideration for a return to the test team. However, that decision by the selectors may not be necessary if Doolan and Marsh continue on their happy ways. I still rate Hughes, especially in Safferland, he'd be next in line before Watson for mine. Lehmann's just the man to get young Phil firing.

Watched a few overs in a pub in Newcastle after the Tahs match last night, we were about 1/15 when I came in. One thing struck me, Steyn seemed to have problems getting his line right to lefthanders, Warner was helping himself to boundaries through cover/extra cover. Doolan, on the other hand, looked decidedly uncomfortable and I was surprised to read this morning he reached 89. Well played, Alex, more please.

This team's certainly developed under Clarke's leadership with some outstanding guidance from Lehmann. But time stands still for no man, there will be changes in the near future: Rogers' age will surely catch up with him soon, and Harris' knees simply can't hold out much longer. What a wonderful team man Ryan is, no wickets but strangled the bastards, under 3 runs an over right up until the end of his stint. God willing Doolan's the answer to recent problems at first drop.

Was there some rain on day 2? This must cross Clarke's mind when he's deciding on a declaration.

T

tranquility

The weather forecast is perfect I believe. However the commentators said that their is always chances of showers during this time of the year.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I still think you need a reliable fifth bowling option, and Watson is by far our best all-rounder.

For mine someone will have to make way for him, and that someone unfortunately is Doolan. Push Marsh up to 3, have Watto at 4. But Doolan's time will come.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I still think you need a reliable fifth bowling option, and Watson is by far our best all-rounder.

For mine someone will have to make way for him, and that someone unfortunately is Doolan. Push Marsh up to 3, have Watto at 4. But Doolan's time will come.

Too easily broken. Flick him while the four bowlers we have are performing so well

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm not so sure we need five bowlers. The tried and true line up of six batsmen, a keeper (preferably who is moderately handy with the bat) and four bowlers has served us very well over the years. We've not often been blessed with quality all rounders in Australian cricket and we've still won. I think if we have someone who is good enough then sure, pick them, but let's not manufacture a position for a bits and pieces kind of player. That's what the Poms do (and to a lesser degree the Saffers too).

T

tranquility

I have been wrestling with this, and I don't see how we can fit Watson back into the team. Depending on how quickly we knock these blokes over, how can we say they were over worked? What if we win within four days?

We just look so much more stable with an extra batsman. Having Warner come in the in the second innings when we have first inning leads, is just a nightmare for the opposition.

I think the old adage is if you need 5 bowlers to get the opposition out, then you didn't pick the right four bowlers in the first place.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Mitch now has 250 test wickets and if you look at who else has in Australian test match history (DK, Warne, McDermott, Dizzy, Lee, McGrath) he's in pretty good company. All of those blokes (with the possible exception of Lee, who I thought was overrated) were top class.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I didn't mean we needed an all-rounder, more that Watson is a very valuable bowler to have and I think that factor is enough to just edge him over batsmen who may be just superior.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Jeez, that was an impressive display by the Aussies.

South African's are going to be doing a lot of head scratching as to how that went so badly after such a long period of dominance in recent years. Finishing the match on day 4 will do some serious damage to the proteas psyche IMO.

Looking towards the next test and I can't see any way you can select Watson after the performance of Marsh and Doolan. The later is a natural choice for number three and Marsh's first innings speaks for itself. Our bowlers rarely struggled to take wickets and not sure we need a fifth option at this point. Although it helped that only one player on the opposition offered any form of resistance.

Harris must be due for a rest despite the consistent pressure he compiled. History shows that he won't last the distance if he plays consistently and an injury can only be just around the corner considering his work rate in the last series. Could be a good chance to bring in Patto or Bird whilst the confidence is high.

Still not convinced on the Rogers-Warner combination but it's our only real option at this point in time and I wouldn't be tinkering too much with the side. Consistency is vital.

Rogers
Warner
Doolan
Marsh
Clarke
Smith
Haddin
Johnson
Siddle
Pattinson
Lyon

That'd be my XI for the next side with Watson carrying the drinks.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think that factor is enough to just edge him over batsmen who may be just superior.

That is a long list of batsmen - including me and lightbulb. At least we can score runs in meaningful games and don't have the biggest front-foot flaw in world cricket.

Watson should just stay at home, bang his hot skinny wife, and trout himself out for a bit of short form cricket every now and then

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
P.S. anyone want to join me on the belligerence train yet? We just fucking crushed the supposed #1 side in the world by more than with either of their scores.

Yeah the Johnson factor was big, but the other guys bowled so well as a unit I think we could have won without him, but it would have been dicey

Status
Not open for further replies.