• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Women's Sevens Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

They are currently the most successful team in Australian Rugby, and with the Olympics approaching they are beginning to attract a lot more interest. I think the Women's Seven's team is a terrific opportunity for rugby union to tap into the female population and build a greater interest in the sport.

They are possibly looking at introducing a nickname for the women teams along the lines of the Matilda's, the Wallabies, Diamonds etc. I think its a good idea:

"It's awesome to see we're actually being classified next to sports like the Matildas, like the Hockeyroos, the Diamonds," Williams said.
"Those sports have been around for a long time, they've got nicknames for their actual sport where we don't have one.
"We're just called the Australian women's sevens team ... when we go to a domestic tournament we're named the Pearls, that could maybe cross over, but definitely we need to get one by the Olympics."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/sharni-williams-20151207-glhb2l.html#ixzz3tebzwKLu

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
They are a wonderful team to watch. The skills they have are fantastic. Charlotte Caslick is superbly skilled. Her pass both sides is brilliant. Ellia GReen is the speed merchant the men's team lack. The whole bunch of them. They're a great bunch of women off the pitch too. All seem like excellent people. And to add to it, there's a whole batch of them coming through. The youth teams are amazing and some of the skills involved from the schoolgirl tournaments are fantastic.

They also have the advantage of being able to recruit from touch footy and other sports, without having to worry about the whole 15s thing.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah women's sevens really is such a huge opportunity for rugby and the girls in the team are great ambassadors for the game.

I tend to think they should be the Wallaroos 7's and the men's team should be the Wallabies 7's. If it's good enough for the All Blacks then I don't see why we have to have all these different names.

But if they do have to be different names then I'd certainly change 'The Thunderbolts' which is terrible, and for the women, well I think it'd be good if there was say a competition for girls and women in rugby to come up with a name. It should be something that appeals to girls.

T

TOCC

I think their popularity on the back of the Olympics will surge, they are very strong gold medalist contenders and women sevens is only growing in popularity.

AFL and NRL are both trying to push the professional opportunities for women in their codes, but right this is one area that rugby union is marginally ahead of the game.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Shows what happens when we get the best (female) athletes in Aus playing rugby. If only the Men's side could attract them too. :(

T

TOCC

Aussies Sevens won the Sao Paulo tournament in rather convincing fashion, in addition to their series win in Dubai the Aussie women sevens team is firming for Gold at the Rio Olympics

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Damn they are good. Even in pouring rain they destroyed Canada. The commentators were predicting the rain would help level the playing field because it would stifle Australia's attack.

Let's hope none of the players from any team get diagnosed with Zika Virus. It will be devastating both for those people and for the Olympics if it comes out before the Olympics that players have been infected during a test event.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Firming? We should be strong favs as a one off 7s match allows. Clearly #1 now.

Paints a picture of how successful our Mens would be if AFL/NRL didn't exist. :(

T

TOCC

Yes firming...as in unlikely to change....
They are ranked number one having won 3 in a row, but there is still a long road ahead before Rio, Kiwis won the first 4 tournaments in a row last year losing the final 2 legs, they will be a threat again come Rio.

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
They are currently the most successful team in Australian Rugby, and with the Olympics approaching they are beginning to attract a lot more interest. I think the Women's Seven's team is a terrific opportunity for rugby union to tap into the female population and build a greater interest in the sport.

They are possibly looking at introducing a nickname for the women teams along the lines of the Matilda's, the Wallabies, Diamonds etc. I think its a good idea:

The Pearls is nice. What about the Snappers?

fo!!ower

Chris McKivat (8)
How about the Emus - they run fast and can kick a brick shitter down when they're angry!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

The Australian Olympic Committee have listed the Women's Seven's team with a Silver medal in their Rio Medal forecast, they have also predicted that the Men's team will miss out on a medal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

ARU needs to put its money where its mouth is, if Women's Sevens is a pillar of growth in participation rates then the pinnacle needs to be paid accordingly.

ARU boss Bill Pulver has committed to equal pay for the national women's sevens squad in the next two years but could face a push from the players' union to move on the issue as soon as next year.

The world champion women's sevens team is the favourite to win gold at the Rio Olympics in August but languishes behind its male counterparts to the tune of about $20,000 per year. With the Olympics just around the corner and a three-day, combined men's and women's world series tournament in Sydney in February all but signed off on, the profile of the sport and the world-beating women's team in particular is only going to rise further.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/australian-rugby-union-boss-commits-to-equal-pay-for-womens-sevens-team-20160701-gpwmwe.html#ixzz4DDS3qJpT

Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
Thought that I should bump this thread, in case any new-found fans of women's sevens are lurking out there. I was thinking of starting a women's rugby general discussion thread, but I don't have the necessary permissions.

Also, I was thinking that maybe someone could whip up an article for the front page, a guide for potential new female players with links to the relevant pages on the various state RU sites?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Also, I was thinking that maybe someone could whip up an article for the front page, a guide for potential new female players with links to the relevant pages on the various state RU sites?

Go for it. Let me know when you're done and I can post it up for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.