• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia's propping problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
i dont know of any full scholarships, but there have being some partial scholarships, 25-50%

I don't know of anyone picked up on a scholarship at that young an age. Minimum of 15 seems to be more the norm. It is hard to tell if they are going to be any good before then.

Which are the best rugby schools in Sth East Qld? My missus wants our kids to be private schooled but doesn't want them playing rugby.

F

formeropenside

disco said:
i dont know of any full scholarships, but there have being some partial scholarships, 25-50%

I don't know of anyone picked up on a scholarship at that young an age. Minimum of 15 seems to be more the norm. It is hard to tell if they are going to be any good before then.

Which are the best rugby schools in Sth East Qld? My missus wants our kids to be private schooled but doesn't want them playing rugby.

Probably Nudgee over Terrace if you like Catholic school, Churchie, Ipswich Grammar or TSS otherwise.

R

rugbywhisperer

Nudgee do have a couple of full scholarship students. Most are on a lesser amount though.
TSS limits it's financial incentive to a fairly modest percentage - never getting over 50% though and you would have to be damned good to boot or really really needed. Not too many of the TSS squad would be on a schoarship as many do come to the school on it's and their merits alone.
State High do offer a number of incentives to local (read Brisbane and surrounding areas) athletes, but being only a day school it does limit their catchment somewhat. What they do offer though is a great benefit to those talented kids who wouldn't otherwise have had a shot at GPS rugby.
Nudgee and State High do seem to have very competitive teams from the get go at age 13/14 which might indicate some topping up of their talent pool from an early age (having watched their teams through prep and then onto high school, there are a lot of new faces in year 8), however the main influx comes at or about age 15 once growth has presented itself and they can see with more clarity what bang they might be getting for their buck.
TSS does very little recruiting in the lower age groups and in some years doesn't do any - depending on needs. There might be one or two 'imports' at the younger ages but again these usually come to the school voluntarily, mostly from the Gold Coast catchment. People might be surprised at how austere TSS is when it comes to offering scholarships - they do attract an awful lot of talent just by being who they are.
As for Churchie, Grammar etc, I can't comment as it is a fluid situation but I do understand that Churchie for one has recruited heavily for 2009 opens.

R

rugbywhisperer

disco said:

That will be a hard one on which to deliver. Go anywhere near TSS, NC, GT or Churchie and the attraction to rugby is like a black hole.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
My very much younger half-brother goes to BGS. Not much rugby, but it's like a Dickensian work house. Except they're not cleaning chimneys, they're swotting Latin and Ancient History.

Apparently the current headmaster is caving in to the demands of the Old Boys who want to get their rugby side back on top. As much as I love rugby, I can't really imagine giving much of a fuck what my kid's rugby team is like.

RW, I can understand your interest since your boy might play at a higher level.

F

formeropenside

Scarfman said:
My very much younger half-brother goes to BGS. Not much rugby, but it's like a Dickensian work house. Except they're not cleaning chimneys, they're swotting Latin and Ancient History.

Apparently the current headmaster is caving in to the demands of the Old Boys who want to get their rugby side back on top. As much as I love rugby, I can't really imagine giving much of a fuck what my kid's rugby team is like.

I went to BGS, and was taught Modern History by the current Headmaster twenty years ago. He is a former Australian Schoolboys rugby coach, and loves his cricket and rugby.

In the 70's and 1980's Grammar was a proud rugby school with a lot of hands on coaching by Alex Evans, among others. Grammar offered no sports scholarships but still performed strongly at 1st XV level and across the board. Out of 50-odd games of rugby I played for Grammar in B grade as a rule, I lost 5, and 4 of those losses were by a few points. I can remember all of those losses clearly, and the pride I had playing for BGS.

In the 90's BGS picked up a new Head who loved music and drama at the expense of sport. Hopefully sport will now reclaim its proper place. I hope its strong again by the time my little man heads there in 10+ years time.

T

TOCC

disco said:

yeah Nudgee is probably at the top, Terrace is pretty good but nudgee has more facilities to support it.

Ashgrove is another good rugby school, kind of ignored since it is in the AIC competition and not GPS, but it has still supplied plenty of great rugby union players over the years, St Laurences won the AIC comp this year, well they won the 1st XV comp as far as i know.

Churchie and Brisbane Grammar do alright for themselves, they are both more exspensive though, but both have good facilities to to develop players, in terms of coaches, funding, gyms and the fields.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
disco said:
My missus wants our kids to be private schooled but doesn't want them playing rugby.

Excellent grounds for divorce. See FOS, he's a lawyer. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
formeropenside said:
Scarfman said:

I went to BGS, and was taught Modern History by the current Headmaster twenty years ago. He is a former Australian Schoolboys rugby coach, and loves his cricket and rugby.

In the 70's and 1980's Grammar was a proud rugby school with a lot of hands on coaching by Alex Evans, among others. Grammar offered no sports scholarships but still performed strongly at 1st XV level and across the board. Out of 50-odd games of rugby I played for Grammar in B grade as a rule, I lost 5, and 4 of those losses were by a few points. I can remember all of those losses clearly, and the pride I had playing for BGS.

In the 90's BGS picked up a new Head who loved music and drama at the expense of sport. Hopefully sport will now reclaim its proper place. I hope its strong again by the time my little man heads there in 10+ years time.

So, seriously then, you DO care? I don't quite get that. I'd stick with the music and drama guy, myself. I expect my kids to give sport a go, and to try their best, but I don't care if they win.

F

formeropenside

Scarfman said:
formeropenside said:
Scarfman said:

So, seriously then, you DO care? I don't quite get that. I'd stick with the music and drama guy, myself. I expect my kids to give sport a go, and to try their best, but I don't care if they win.

Yeah, I care. I want the little man to enjoy his sport, play hard and play fair. Winning is not as important as that, and he's going to Grammar no matter how the rugby goes, because of the academcs.

I want Grammar to take sport seriously again, because sport teaches you a lot about yourself too. In the past Grammar has shown you can do both sport and academics to a high level. I see no reason why it cant be done again.

R

rugbywhisperer

disco said:

Disco it all depends on where you are going to live or are living.
I would assume like most people you don't like early morning commuting and if rugby is not part of the selection criteria, the rest is down to elimination.
All the real GPS schools offer fantastic extra curricular activities, their pastoral programs are great and I really don't know if there is too much between them.
As I said before, sport at some has greater emphasis and I think that is good as it teaches young men many things. You can usually tell in business if sport has played a part in a man's growth. I do not believe sport should ever be excluded from a young man's education, it is far too important. I selected our school for one main reason (rugby and sport) and the other factors fell into place. If our lads had been budding concert pianists I would have made the same choice simply because the non sport programs are as good as you will get anywhere.
If you live outside the greater Bris CBD then your choices diminish.
The Gold Coast offers TSS, one of the most beautiful schools in Aus and is a GPS school, steeped in sporting history and has a very good academic history and pastoral program as well as sport. There are also many non GPS schools on the Gold Coast offering very good academic programs, All Saints, Somerset, AB Patterson.
In Brisbane there is a litteral plethora of non GPS schools offering as good an academic program as you would get anywhere.
It all comes down to what you want for your son and how much you like driving or commuting. The financial factor is also a fairly significant factor as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.