• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Back to Uni - Feeling old right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Wouldnt we then be the Grumbles Growdens of the present?

As derided as he is, I think he's probably pretty happy with his life....

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yeah, G&GR will be the Growden of the future.

It's cool, I like pies anyway...

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Going back to uni last year and doing a Masters was the best thing I've ever done! I was only 25 at the time, so not a huge age difference by any means, but it's suprising how wide the cultural gap can be. Anyway, this was fine by me. Just put my head down and worked my bum off.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Just recieved all my in session results and I'm pleased with what I have achieved. My lowest mark is in Marketing with an average 91%. Nothing outside of the HD marking scale.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
So all the students on the forum, how are the studies going?

Personally study has been going well. Work and study can be hard to juggle but I am feeling in the groove ATM. I am studying environmental science knowing I want to persue a biological discipline but wanted to sample a few and direct my focus from there. This semester I found myself at the stage where I am 100% commited to persuing fire ecology.

This was a good thread and fell by the wayside. Time to bump it up.

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
I suppose you could call me a long-term student, I'm almost at the end of doing a PhD. Getting to the point where I can't wait to see the back of it, although I suppose I should be enjoying this last bit of freedom before going off and working. I submitted a draft to my supervisor about a month back and I'm now working through the half of it that I got back. I hope to be all done sometime in the (northern) autumn. I'm now dreading all the admin crap that I have to go through in order to organise the submission and then the oral, as I'm actually submitting about a year ahead of schedule.

Then maybe, just maybe I'll be able to get home for Christmas for the first time in four years.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I personally hate university and everything associated with mine, think that its all a bunch of bullshit politics and bureaucracy in the end to get a stupid piece of paper where it doesn't really help my chances anyways, but hopefully by the second half of this year I'll have my industry experienced lined up and have uni flying on in the background whilst I try and get some sort of positioning in real life that satisfies my goals for a career, being able to supply myself with a better ending than the middle part of my studies would have predicted.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I personally hate university and everything associated with mine, think that its all a bunch of bullshit politics and bureaucracy in the end to get a stupid piece of paper where it doesn't really help my chances anyways, but hopefully by the second half of this year I'll have my industry experienced lined up and have uni flying on in the background whilst I try and get some sort of positioning in real life that satisfies my goals for a career, being able to supply myself with a better ending than the middle part of my studies would have predicted.

What has caused you to feel that way? Most people love their time at uni (in one way or another).

A mate used say that he loved the feeling of enrolling to study. Loved getting the books and flicking through them thinking how great learning is and how brilliant it will be to accumulate all of this knowledge. Sometimes he'd even start his reading in advance of the course and try to get a little bit ahead but realise that the lectures were an important part of it and he needed them to assist his learning. Then, after missing a few lectures he'd go along to one and it would frighten him how far behind he was so he'd skip more lectures. The cycle continued until it was close to exams, he knew he was out of his depth and he'd have to cram and he would reflect that he actually hated study after all.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think sometimes it just gets a bit exhausting mentally & you need to time out. Some days I'd be really stressed, others I'd be walking thru the Uni feeling like "I'm right where I want to be" - regardless of how financially stressed I was (& still am :)). I think playing Rugby for the Uni makes the place even more like a home for me, studying at the grounds before training has been a regular thing.

My situation is I'm coming up to hopefully graduating with a Bach of Psych Sci so I can have a good long break (well if working is a break) before returning to potentially do the whole B. Psych again. If I had my time again I would have just worked in my early twenties (which I only did for 1 yr before Uni) then go into study in my mid to late 30s (which is when I'm looking to go back). In my early twenties I was just all over the place mentally, my studies struggled, now I'm a lot better. I think I got caught up in the whole concept of Uni being something you do when you're younger which I realise now is not for everyone - certainly not for me. Some people think its crazy doing the same degree twice but I made a dog breakfast of the first half & I love Psych so I don't see any probs motivational wise in coming back again. The main issue would be fitting it in with work & financially. I really don't want to be doing things by distance because I find if I do courses at home I get distracted.

I think work does make you appreciate Uni more. I do labouring mostly on building sites & although I enjoy being outside working with my hands there have been times when I have yearned for the learning & discussion that would go on in class. I'm sure I will miss Uni during my break.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I think sometimes it just gets a bit exhausting mentally & you need to time out. Some days I'd be really stressed, others I'd be walking thru the Uni feeling like "I'm right where I want to be" - regardless of how financially stressed I was (& still am :)).

Funny how how uni can make you feel either right at the top of the world or right at the bottom. Comming home from work and having the concentration to study is my biggest challenge. I agree about the money also. Getting your first mortgage before your degree is something I wouldn't recommend. Sometimes I find you just have to put the boks aside and play. For me that is hitching the boat up and going fishing.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Into my study for end of session exams. Have had a few distractions this semester which have been a challenge but they have finally passed so all my focus is back on my studies full time. Not working anymore either (by choice) so no distractions at the minute. Marks have been solid (D average at the moment) but will be looking to improve upon them in the finals.

Have had the added challenge (and advantage) of studying with my brother who returned to study this year in my Law section of my studies. Lost a great deal of motivation about half way through my last session and had to work very hard to make it respectable. Not too worried though as I recently came to the realisation that I'm in for another 3 years yet so time to rectify the situation.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Still another year and a half to go, really regretting doing a language in my first year as it's killing any chances of overseas exchange (failed Italian miserably after not going to lectures and tutorials), which at my age is currently the dream and what I am aiming for next year.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
What has caused you to feel that way? Most people love their time at uni (in one way or another).

My specific Course (Industrial Design and University (UWS) has a myriad of things which would dissuade you from liking it. There's no student culture on campus (at penrith atleast) The amenities are pulled back to the absolute minimum and UWS has this weird idea they can run things better than people like co-op etc. when they cant. Specific to my school (the school of engineering, maths and computing) a place where designers are seen as useless and where there is more political intrigue than the HSU east branch, Where someone was in charge until last year who was a civil engineer completely self absorbed with himself whos now running a research center trying to take over all of the schools purpose built premises (and succeeding) so that Design who need tooling to build models etc have been placed into the corner out the back, but that doesnt matter since the OH&S policy of the uni has restricted us from ever using the tools, as actually teaching us the skills we might need would bring too much liability to the university.

Bringing it further down to my actual course, which currently has three factions of lecturers, where I've had three course directors over 4 years, moved shop once and had no access to 3d printing or tools for three to four years. Further to this there are units which are completely useless to the course but compulsory with a 60% failure rate over 6 years with no change run by the maths department. Our course having been stuck in limbo with no one listening to students concerns (even the lecturers are aware of us) and having no priority within the school means that nothings gonna change for a very long time.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Rf enjoying uni has nothing to do with the course route enrolled in, or has it changed that much?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
The course has been undervalued by the uni, this has then impacted on the campus culture of people in my course (since there isnt any independant culture). you ask anyone in my course if they still wanna do industrial design they will say no.

Status
Not open for further replies.