• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Barbarian F.C. v Northampton Saints, 2/9/23

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
Do we think JOC (James O'Connor) is shirking the tougher stuff because he has to or because he thinks if he stays fit he's a chance of a world cup berth? It's not exactly honourable but I think he realistically is one injury away from being called in.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Uru was impressive at 7. His defence was strong which has sometimes been a weaker point to his game imo, and he was very effective in the lineout and often broke the line on attack. I wouldn't be at all concerned if he was called into the 7 spot for the Wallabies, or indeed for any of the back row spots.

I simply cannot see that JOC (James O'Connor) offers anything any more. Merely a passenger in defence and does very little otherwise. Must be kept well clear of the Wallabies.

Swinton had one of his best games in quite a while. Tom Wright caused no end of trouble whenever he had the ball, but too many wayward passes.

A highlight was the attempted charge down by the entire Barbarian side on Hunter Paisami's conversion kick.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
In my opinion no one really made a claim for the Wallaby squad as it wasn’t that type of game. JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) looked classy with the ball in hand but he’s playing twighlight years footy these days. No where near test footy. Just not the hard edge to it.

Uru was outstanding. Best game this year but that could be because of the opposition. But I don’t think he is seriously in contention for the wallabies.

Peitsch and Swinton were two who probably upped their credentials for a call up more than anyway because they did the unflashy things well.

Wright scored a brilliant try from a Lonergan chip but his game has fallen so much. It’s astounding. So many mistakes. Will be fascinating to see if Larkham can build him back up next year.
Hard to get a clear gauge on the players in a game like this, but Uru was causing them (The Saints) all kinds of issues and looked great in this game. I'm not sure he's International quality yet, but at Super/this level he looks really solid. Swinton carried well, hit his rucks and likewise looked very good. Like you said did a lot of the unflashy things well. As a player I still hold hope that he'll come good if he keeps putting in the work, curbs the agro.

All Aussie backs looked pretty good, Wright, Peitsch, Anderson. The JOC (James O'Connor) / Lonergan axis performed well for much of the game and both put in good performances whilst still having a good old throw around. Things started to break down a lot more when those two were finally off.

I'm not sure I entirely agree on Wright, it's the kind of game where mistakes will happen when the continuity breaks down and he does tend to push things a lot of the time. Even that poor pass in the Wallabies v Argentina game was as much about him expecting someone where they weren't and pushing things when the risk/reward wasn't worth it. It's really why people find him so rocks and diamonds which isn't what you want at International level.

The player I'm really enjoying watching is Daugunu and his move to the centers. I really like his shift in off the wing. He's a strong player, is tackling well and has the capacity to get himself through for an offload. Feel like he's a real loss to the Reds with his shift down to Melbourne.

Piasami also looked to be finding a little form which speaks well for his forthcoming season. Hasn't looked the same after his injuries.

Scrum and lineouts are a little hard to judge with a bunch of lads thrown together, but overall the forwards did well. The maul defense was pretty good. Can tell Fisher is in the coaching staff. Actually breakdown work in general was not too bad. Players like Neville did ok, but you can see why he's not over in France. Likewise players like Harry Johnson-Holmes are just not back to where they were, let alone kicked on from where he was, which is a shame. The injuries have really set him back. We need some more props coming through.

Anyway, fun to have something to tie us over until the RWC starts.

Last edited:

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
... also, does anyone know the fixture list for the next games? I know they're playing Bristol Bears on 7/9 (not sure time), but beyond that I'm not sure?

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
... also, does anyone know the fixture list for the next games? I know they're playing Bristol Bears on 7/9 (not sure time), but beyond that I'm not sure?
I'll answer my own question for the Bears game. 7.30pm kickoff, so it'll be at 4:30am 8/9/23 AEST.

Hopefully there is a stream like for the Saints game.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Rugby.com.au reporting that the next Baa Baas game is against Scarlets on 16 Sept. Anyone know for certain?
1693722017808.png

This is the schedule

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Lonergan was nailing kicks from everywhere back in the NRC…

A lack of match practice in recent years can’t have helped.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Uru could well become an option for next year. As long as Skelton keeps getting picked as a lock then these jumping backrowers are definitely going up in value.

Also a shame that Paisami was injured most of the year and now has left his run too late, I think he would have been a more reliable option than some of our other centres in the world cup squad if fully fit and in form.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
I thought I read somewhere that Harry Wilson was with The Baa Baas. Did he have a weekend off to get over his Mad Monday?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Harry played the second half in the 6 spot, which I've always thought best suited him. He did not stand out at all, but the team at that stage was made up of quite a few Japanese and other players and lacked almost all semblance of cohesion. Half time score, 29 - 0; full time score 48 - 12. Second half, 19 - 12. Indeed a game of two halves.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Harry played the second half in the 6 spot, which I've always thought best suited him. He did not stand out at all, but the team at that stage was made up of quite a few Japanese and other players and lacked almost all semblance of cohesion. Half time score, 29 - 0; full time score 48 - 12. Second half, 19 - 12. Indeed a game of two halves.
He had a good effort at a clearing kick after a kick off reciept, and saw him pass a few off the ruck. Looked like he wasnt taking it too seriously

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Is he naturally a left footer? That clearing kick went the whole of 10 - 15 metres, but maybe he normally kicks with his right foot for the Reds?