• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Basic website platform?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
I have been tinkering with the idea of starting a website associated with my profession (commercial real estate) but totally separate from my employment and not for profit. Can anyone recommend a simple platform to start with or point me in the right direction? A friend has suggested Ning, any thoughts on that?
Cheers,

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Depends on what you want to do with it, PT. We have just been through all of this at work and went with Drupal in the end, but Joomla is probably easier for the lest technically adventurous.

Perhaps a hosted Joomla site with a local ISP would be the go?

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
I mucked around with something last year, got a domain name (figured I should have one anyway), created an account with a free hosting place and built a wordpress blog. quite easy. There are plenty of themes around so you can make it look almost anyway you like.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
The front page (blog) of this sucker is based on wordpress. Definitely the way to go and you can start it for free

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Hey folks, I've been thinking of something along these lines for our local referees site. We presently use rugbynet as per the ARU? It does the job, but is pretty clunky and definitely not fancy. What does a domain name cost and how do you buy/rent one? I've some of the "weebly" style blog sites around and they look pretty easy to setup.

Basically I'm after something where we can post relevant rugby info, some small video clips, maybe some slideshows, pdf's etc and possibly a blog section for our referees to post in a law quiz section.

Has anyone on the forums here got any info or guidance on how to set this up? We were approached by the rugbyrefs website but that seemed a little too 'controlled' for me. Any thoughts or advice would be well appreciated.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Hey folks, I've been thinking of something along these lines for our local referees site. We presently use rugbynet as per the ARU? It does the job, but is pretty clunky and definitely not fancy. What does a domain name cost and how do you buy/rent one? I've some of the "weebly" style blog sites around and they look pretty easy to setup.

Basically I'm after something where we can post relevant rugby info, some small video clips, maybe some slideshows, pdf's etc and possibly a blog section for our referees to post in a law quiz section.

Has anyone on the forums here got any info or guidance on how to set this up? We were approached by the rugbyrefs website but that seemed a little too 'controlled' for me. Any thoughts or advice would be well appreciated.
If you were to go sown the Wordpress.com route to begin with you could have it hosted for nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
If anyone needs help with their own Digital presence (including Social strategy) feel free to drop me a line. Happy to assist with Site creation/domain hosting and a social/content strategy. It's what I do.
Cheers Gibbo

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
If anyone needs help with their own Digital presence (including Social strategy) feel free to drop me a line. Happy to assist with Site creation/domain hosting and a social/content strategy. It's what I do.
Cheers Gibbo

Hi Gibbo, What do you think is the easiest way to set up a basic website? As per above email, I'm looking to move on from the standard rugbynet site and get into something a little flashier but not after anything expensive.

What's your experience with setting up a domain name? What's the cheapest option to get a .com.au domain name? As a deadset amateur, i've got no idea.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Hi Gibbo, What do you think is the easiest way to set up a basic website? As per above email, I'm looking to move on from the standard rugbynet site and get into something a little flashier but not after anything expensive.

What's your experience with setting up a domain name? What's the cheapest option to get a .com.au domain name? As a deadset amateur, i've got no idea.
For a .com.au you need an ABN. If you haven't got one I can register one for you. A .com.au costs around $15/year, plus hosting.

Status
Not open for further replies.