• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Battle of the Blood Red: Lions v Queensland Reds 8th June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
make them is say

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I think the Reds will be. The Lions haven't released a change strip, which they would for the $ if they were going to wear one, so all points to the Reds for me.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Lions will be in red. Can't imagine them being too chuffed being told to go alternate!!

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
1. Greg Holmes
2. James Hanson
3. Ben Daley/Albert Anae
4. Ed O'Donoghue
5. AWH
6. Quirk
7. Robinson
8. Shactz

9. Lucas
10. Cooper
11. Shipperly
12. Ant/Taps
13. F'Sautia
14. Davies/Morahan/Toua
15. Lance

Bench will be interesting, especially the tight 5.

Lions by 7.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Holmes will be 3. Daley doesn't play tighthead. As far as I am aware, neither does Anae.

I'd like to see Anae given a crack. Unfortunately Daley is continuing to come up well short at scrum time.

Reactions: BDA

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Go Moz at 15.

Looking forward to this game. With plenty in the touring party are we looking at a full house? That would be an awsome atmosphere. Reds go the alternate strip and rip out something that reflects our heritage in this the year of our 130th anniversiry.

I recon we can seriously put them away in this one.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Holmes will be 3. Daley doesn't play tighthead. As far as I am aware, neither does Anae.

I'd like to see Anae given a crack. Unfortunately Daley is continuing to come up well short at scrum time.

Are you sure Anae doesn't play Tight Head?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Not really. I don't know what experience he has at club level. But I am pretty sure I have only seen him play LH for the Reds and can only recall him being described as a loose head (with some attempts to convert him into a hooker). I assume someone else out there will know though?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Not really. I don't know what experience he has at club level. But I am pretty sure I have only seen him play LH for the Reds and can only recall him being described as a loose head (with some attempts to convert him into a hooker). I assume someone else out there will know though?

I think Anea will have to be on the bench as the reserve hooker and Jono Owen onto the bench as reserve prop. Not sure who claims the other reserve prop position. Daley will start at LHP. I would like to see us run them off their feet and that is how we can depower their domminant scrum.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think Anea will have to be on the bench as the reserve hooker and Jono Owen onto the bench as reserve prop. Not sure who claims the other reserve prop position. Daley will start at LHP. I would like to see us run them off their feet and that is how we can depower their domminant scrum.
Don't like it. Potentially the higher work rate of your props might generate enough points to win. But a poor scrum can just as easily provide the opponent a way to stay in the game or build a match winning lead.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
My team (already posted in Reds 2013 thread). Still a very good side with the tight 5 a weakness. Be good to see the props have a go having not seen much of either on the bench. Concerned going forward that if Slipper is missing the Reds are suddenly short up front.
1. Daley
2. Hanson
3. Holmes
4. Wallace-Harrison
5. O'Donoghue
6. Quirk
7. Robinson
8. Schatz
9. Lucas
10. Cooper
11. Morahan
12. Fainga'a
13. CFS
14. Davies
15. Lance
16. Anae
17. Owen
18. Davis
19. Samo
20. Butler
21. Frisby
22. Tapuai
23. Shipperley

Reactions: BDA

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
This will probably be the game where we see most of the Leinster, Ulster and Leicester players make their first starts. Obviously hard to predict a 23 at this stage but I'd expect to see Sexton, BOD, SOB, Healy and Heaslip to make their first starts along with Cole, the Youngs sisters and Croft. Given the lack of outside backs I'd expect Kearney and Tuiligui to feature prominently against the Force.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I would like to see this backline:

9. Lucas
10. Cooper
11. Shipperley / Davies / F'Sautia
12. Taps/A. Finger
13. A. Finger / F'Sautia
14. Shipperley / Davies / F'Sautia
15. Morahan

Reserve backs, assuming a 4:3 split, will be:
Frisby
Lance
Taps/Shipperley/Davies

This way, Cooper gets to defend at 10.

But mainly, I prefer Morahan at fullback to Lance. Lance has had a couple of off weeks, and Morahan provides more of an attacking threat. If the Reds attack is struggling, I think that Morahan provides just that additional running threat. The Reds' problem has mainly been execution and finishing, not making the breaks.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Real question for me is

Will the Lions play their top team ?

My feeling is that it will be close to their top team. They will have most of their best players, and will no doubt look at a few smokeys as well. I would think that they will play starting players in the key positions to develop the important combinations. I would expect their 23 to contain the eventual starting 15, unless there are any injuries.

The following week vs the Tahs will be very, very close to their top team.

However, someplayers could still play their way out of the top squad in the lead up games, and others into it.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Real question for me is

Will the Lions play their top team ?

A mate at work here has a theory on that. If Gatland wants Quade to play for the Wallabies (as he see's him as a weakness) then he may roll out a weaker side so that Quade can impress. If, on the other hand he doesn't want Quade to play for the Wallabies (because he's worried about what he brings etc) then he may name a full strength team to try and smoke the Reds so that Quade looks bad.

Will be interesting to see who he picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.