• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

BBL5 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Impotent attack. Rimmington is a good 3rd or even 4th Seamer, but he's 2nd behind Bravo ATM. Tremain is OK, but he's being played as a frontline quick rather than 4th Seamer, or Backup player, while none of the other 3 have impressed me that much. Don't get me started on Doherty and Hauritz.

Behrendoff would be my MOTM. 2/14ish off a 4 over spell, including breaking the opening partnership that looked like making 190-210 before the double dismissal. With Starc probably out, and Johnson retired, he and Faulkner would be looking like the Lefties for the T20WC.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Fabulous game, fabulous crowd.

I'd complain about the Renegades bowling again, but that would take away from a glorious innings by Wright.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Renegades at their Renegadiest tonight.

Quality start with both bat and ball, but made it so much harder for themselves after the 8th odd over in both innings.

Cap it off with that interview. The first one was fine, if on the edge. He's an entertainer, a joker and a flirt, so that's exactly what you'd expect for him. The blush comments and the second go were nothing short of cringeworthy and disrespectful to Mel.

Nice win statistically, but still left rather flat as a Gades fan.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I was out of the room when the comments were made, but I did hear that Ch. 10 weren't happy. That might see the end of Gayle with the mic in front of him for the tournament then.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Yeah, the last thing the Big Bash needed was that. Personally, I thought the first comment was tongue in cheek but the second and third were too far and it was obviously quite uncomfortable for her. It was quite clear he didn't intend to offend her but it's not fair on her as a professional who was trying to do her job, to let that slide on national TV.

Glad he came out and apologised today and hopefully all parties involved can move on despite the fact that the media obviously won't.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It's one thing to say something like that in a nightclub, but it's a different thing altogether to embarrass someone on national telly. She clearly wasn't happy and he was right to apologise. I do feel that it's given some people just the excuse they need to blow it totally out of proportion, especially when the two parties involved are looking to draw a line under it and move on.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Gayle has a track record of acting inappropriately towards female reporters..........

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/com...erstar-made-a-pass-at-me-20160105-glzjy7.html

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...and-chris-rogers/story-fn5k3es5-1227698086354

And now he's alleged to have exposed himself to a woman during the Cricket World Cup.........

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/chris-gayle-exposed-himself-to-me-woman-20160105-glzrkp.html

He's an absolute germ, and anyone who finds that kind of behaviour acceptable needs to build themselves a Delorean.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I don't get the hand wringing.
He deserved a $10k fine,move on.

If we are going to make this all about how we treat women in this society,explain to me how you either have to be a cricket legend,or a bit of eye candy to get a gig on the BBL commentary team.

Maybe,if the interviewer was a plain looking ex Australian women's player of many years standing,she would have got a different response from the poorly educated third world sportsman,who was expected to respond in a jovial manner.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I don't get the hand wringing.
He deserved a $10k fine,move on.

If we are going to make this all about how we treat women in this society,explain to me how you either have to be a cricket legend,or a bit of eye candy to get a gig on the BBL commentary team.

Maybe,if the interviewer was a plain looking ex Australian women's player of many years standing,she would have got a different response from the poorly educated third world sportsman,who was expected to respond in a jovial manner.

I must have missed the long distinguished cricket careers of Andrew Maher and Mark Howard.

http://tenplay.com.au/sport/cricket/commentators

The eye candy comment is part of the problem. :oops: terrible way to dismiss someone's career.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wouldn't call it hand wringing. The initial reaction was just to call it out as inappropriate. If anything the fact that so many people don't see it as an issue in any way shape or form is why the discussion has continued.

Sure she's attractive but that's beside the point. Most people on television are quite attractive whether they are male or female.

She's spent numerous years working on various sports on TV. So has the other non-cricket playing commentator on the Big Bash, Mark Howard.

Otherwise, yes, the other commentators are former cricketers. Unlike the Channel 9 commentary team they are mostly also good commentators. That is probably a different question in that it is a long and difficult path to work your way up in sports commentating if you aren't a former star. That's why there are so few of them.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I like Mel. She was good on the Fox Sports football coverage, acting a bit like McArdle for the Rugby Boys.

Switching to 10 gave her more exposure she deserves, but more she doesn't too. The reality of the situation is that this will continue to be an issue, possibly for years to come.

Thing is, there's no one to blame but Gayle himself. Maybe 10 should have been more mindful of his history, maybe the Renegades should have reconsidered signing him in the first place, but ultimately, he made comments on live TV, every other party has made fairly rapid motions to condemn him.

As long as CA, 10, and all the Big Bash sides condemn the behaviour, and continue to educate the squads (in particular youngsters) I'm not sure what else you can ask for.

On a slightly more positive note, I reckon the WBBL has been great. The female commentators are generally interesting and knowledgeable, and while the sheer pace and massive sixes aren't there, the batting and bowling is still good quality stuff. It was great to see the Derby on the primary channel too.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Should the commentators have done more? One said she handled it well which at least acknowledged it was inappropriate. Fleming on the other hand made a crack about Gayle "firings shots on and off the field". I was a big fan but am definitely less so now. It was painfully obvious she was not impressed from Gayles first comment and he felt it was ok to make a joke? That was a shit thing to say at the time and is part of the issue. 10's own sports department tweeted a joke about it which was later removed after the social media response. Both of these have largely been forgotten or ignored and signify that they thought it was OK only to change there minds after an outcry.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I must have missed the long distinguished cricket careers of Andrew Maher and Mark Howard.

http://tenplay.com.au/sport/cricket/commentators

The eye candy comment is part of the problem. :oops: terrible way to dismiss someone's career.
I'm not dismissing her career in any way.
I am commenting on her role in these telecasts.
she may well be a highly skilled journalist like Georgina Robinson,but she is using none of these skills in this role.
her role is to be eye candy,don't call me out for saying it,call out channel 10 for Making her role so superficial.
Let's just remember this is the same channel that telecasts the bachelor,talk me through how they portray women's role in society.....

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not dismissing her career in any way.
I am commenting on her role in these telecasts.
she may well be a highly skilled journalist like Georgina Robinson,but she is using none of these skills in this role.
her role is to be eye candy,don't call me out for saying it,call out channel 10 for Making her role so superficial.
Let's just remember this is the same channel that telecasts the bachelor,talk me through how they portray women's role in society...

So, what you're saying is because she's attractive her role is superficial and welcome to sexual harassment on the job?

I'm surprised you can get internet back in the 1950's?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
So, what you're saying is because she's attractive her role is superficial and welcome to sexual harassment on the job?

I'm surprised you can get internet back in the 1950's?
quite the reverse.
I was critical of Gayle from the outset.
I'm more critical of her employer for the role they have given her.
I think they treat her in a more sexist way than Gayle did.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Her role is to interview players when they come off the field after batting.

Like the sideline reporter in rugby it's realistically the junior role in the commentary team.

Are they being sexist because she's attractive? I think that's a ridiculous statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.