• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

BBL5 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Roger Aldridge doing the sideline commentary tonight. Didn't play for Australia so I guess he must be the eye candy.....

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Roger Aldridge doing the sideline commentary tonight. Didn't play for Australia so I guess he must be the eye candy...

And once again a lot poorer than Mel is at the job. She has a lot more enthusiasm for her work and this comes across in (her) much better commentary.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Can I just say that regardless of how glamorous the sideline journo is in any sport (and let's face it, Mel's a stunning human) I find interviewing the players after they've just come off the paddock just about the least interesting thing about the sport. This isn't a knock on Mel, BTW, I just don't enjoy it at all. Then again I get nothing out of the banter between the players mic'd up and the commentators. I don't find it adds anything to the telecast.

And those kids should totally get off my lawn....

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The mic'd up players has turned into a bit of a farce these days. Warne was actually really good when he was talking through an over as he bowled it a few years ago. I gave actual insight into how a bowler thinks and he picked the ball he'd bowl the player out with.

On the Gayle thing, do you think it would have been less of a thing if there had been play in the Test? It seemed like they needed content and it was all they had to talk about. I think Mel did a good job on the Project saying she accepted the apology and just wants to move on.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The slow news day definitely contributed, Jets. There was literally nothing else to talk about. The biggest winner in all this has been Peter Dutton. He owes Chris Gayle a beer.

As for the miked up players, I have to say I really enjoy it. Especially Brad Hodge and KP, both are just so knowledgeable and good to listen to IMO. The others I can take or leave.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I reckon Hodge and Pietersen are two primary reasons why I don't like it! I seriously have to walk out of the room when I hear KP talk. That guy is so far up himself that he eats his lunch on the way in and out.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
What a remarkable performance from the Scorchers again tonight. Alfie seriously has these blokes believing that they're never beaten and he's done it with a very unheralded squad. I thought we were gone at 2/1 on a track that looked to be doing a bit and somehow they scraped together a competitive total. The bowlers then did the rest and were backed up by some excellent catching. I still don't think we can win the comp three years in a row but I do reckon that there will still be some teams shitting themselves having to play us.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
BestRunOut-BBL05.jpg

Best Run Out Ever.

Renegades vs Stars. A straight drive off Bravo cannons off the Non-Striker's (Nevill) bat to the Bowler's (Adam Zampa) Schnoz and on to the stumps. Result - Peter Nevill Run Out.

The footage from this will be widely reported.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Scorchers find a way to defend a total and win again - Hurricanes almost got there - great game though.

Sixers find a way to lose again - they have some seriously overrated players in their squad.

Commentary on both matches light years ahead of the dross served up on 9.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
View attachment 7347

Best Run Out Ever.

Renegades vs Stars. A straight drive off Bravo cannons off the Non-Striker's (Nevill) bat to the Bowler's (Adam Zampa) Schnoz and on to the stumps. Result - Peter Nevill Run Out.

The footage from this will be widely reported.

Not just the nose work, but the fact that the ball originally deflected off the non-striker's bat makes Nevill the uluckiest batsman dissmissed for some time. Glad it wasn't in a test match.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Sixers find a way to lose again - they have some seriously overrated players in their squad.

Starc, Hazlewood, Smith, Henriques, Maddinson, and Lyon have been largely unavailable all tournament.

That's pretty much the entire leadership group. It also unfortunately shows how poor the Heat have been.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Starc, Hazelwood and Smith are very unlikely to play BBL with their Australian comittments. As test fast bowlers I couldn't see the first two being given permission and Smith is captain in 3 forms of the game and also has plenty on his plate. Henriques's injury was a loss, but Maddinson has played most games in the past 2 years and is seriously overrated - too inconsistent and goes cheaply far too often. Silk is even more overrated, Michael Lumb underwhelming and I could go on. I've been watching these guys for 3 years and it's not unlike watching the Waratahs of the pre-Cheika era.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think Maddinson has a ton of talent. He probably just needs to cool it a bit when he first takes strike and then work his way into an innings. I think making him captain was premature this year and his form then affected the whole team's performances.

The real problem I see with the 6s is their bowling attack. Agree that Starc and Hazelwood would have made a huge difference but we'll not see them in this format for many a year imo. An attack relying on Bollinger (inconsistent) and Abbott (inexperienced) with whomever coming in as third seamer just isn't up to scratch. Brett Lee was sorely missed this year.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Bowling remains the most important facet of the game.

Even teams without an extremely deep batting lineup can easily put 150 on the board. 7ish an over for the first 15, then 10 an over off the last 5 gives mid 150s and extremely achievable.

While I've got no doubt that on a good day, Teams like the Heat, the Sixers, the Hurricanes and the Renegades could chase down 200, if not 210, but all of them have struggled with bowling. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all their bowlers are crap, but none of the ones who have been regularly playing have formed a competent unit.

There's a significant divide in the net run rates between the Strikers, Scorchers and Stars, and the rest of the competition. When you look at bowling quality of those 3 against the rest, it's clear why.

With one round to go, the Gades demolishing of the Canes is the current difference between about 3 sides on 3 wins, but it's anyones go. Hard to see a winner not coming from one of the top 3.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Agree with that. What also sets those top 3 apart is that they often have one or two decent batting partnerhips each innings. This rarely happens at the Sixers, who lose wickets at regular intervals - usually as soon at they have gained some momentum.

Unfortunately Maddinson has been the next big thing for a couple of years now - puts in one good innings every BBL and the rest of the time it's a couple of boundaries and then gone. Same for Jordan Silk.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I just thought it was worth noting.

Add those blokes and Steve O'Keefe to the starting XI and they probably have the strongest team in the competition on paper.

It would be like taking the best two fast bowlers, best two batsman, best all-rounder and two best spinners out of any other team and expecting them not to struggle. I'm not trying to make excuses for the 6'ers , I just think there's some justification as to why they sit where they do on the ladder.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
That may be true but the powers that be would have some idea about the availability of some of these guys. If a guy plays for Aust in all 3 forms of the game the chances are he wont play BBL.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I just thought it was worth noting.

Add those blokes and Steve O'Keefe to the starting XI and they probably have the strongest team in the competition on paper.

It would be like taking the best two fast bowlers, best two batsman, best all-rounder and two best spinners out of any other team and expecting them not to struggle. I'm not trying to make excuses for the 6'ers , I just think there's some justification as to why they sit where they do on the ladder.

That's true, but it's poor recruiting to have star players on your books who have little or no likelihood of playing a match. Just like when the Thunder had Michael Clarke - it all looks great on paper but it's an illusion.

We need to be signing guys who are going to play as many matches as possible. And while we're at it, if we are going to sign an overseas player can we do better than guys like Michael Lumb and Ravi Bhopara?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We need to be signing guys who are going to play as many matches as possible. And while we're at it, if we are going to sign an overseas player can we do better than guys like Michael Lumb and Ravi Bhopara?

Lumb has been a good signing for the Sixers. His form has been a bit up and down from season to season but he's still the team's highest run scorer across all seasons and was the best player in the T20 Champions League when the Sixers won it a few years ago.

I'd be pretty sure he's also our top run scorer this season.

Pretty much all the other international signings have been bad or average.

The team lacks both batting and bowling depth this year. The team just isn't good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.