• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bees Roux arrested on suspicion of murder

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason

Sydney Middleton (9)
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...ed-on-suspicion-of-murder-20100827-13w5s.html

South African professional rugby player Bees Roux has been arrested on suspicion of beating a police officer to death, a police spokeswoman said on Friday.

"He has been arrested. It is alleged that he assaulted the officer who died," the spokeswoman Katlego Mogale told Reuters.

Police said the officer was found lying in a street of Pretoria in the predawn hours of Friday. The officer was rushed to hospital but died due to extensive injuries, emergency service provider Netcare said in a statement.

Roux, 28, is a 115 kg (254 lb) prop with the Bulls who has played professional rugby for about eight years.

His lawyer Ernst Serfontein told Reuters that his client would be applying for bail soon. He said he did not know whether Roux would be charged on Friday or Monday.

Jesus, this puts "player indiscretions" on a whole new level. Anyone heard anything else about this? Blue, what's the story with the guy? Thoughts go out to the officer's family...

H

Hartman

Condolences to the family, but...

I'm sorry - I am actually finding a bit of dark humour in this due to the fact that it's Bees Roux, the ugliest person in professional rugby, who looks like he lives on a diet of mostly human babies.

jason

Sydney Middleton (9)
Condolences to the family, but...

I'm sorry - I am actually finding a bit of dark humour in this due to the fact that it's Bees Roux, the ugliest person in professional rugby, who looks like he lives on a diet of mostly human babies.

Glad I'm not the only one who found it slightly amusing...what a way to go...

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
"Officers from the Tshwane metro police stopped a vehicle in the Hatfield area of Pretoria during the early hours of Friday morning," Colonel Eugene Opperman said in a statement.

There was an "altercation of some kind" and the driver of the stopped vehicle allegedly severely assaulted a metro policeman, who later died.

Details were still sketchy on Friday afternoon about the death of the officer, Ntshimane Johannes Mogale, 38, on the corner of Schoeman and Richard streets. He was married with children and had been with the metro police for four years.

"This happened after the officers had apparently apprehended a member of the public for alleged drunken driving at around 02:00," member of the mayoral committee on community safety Dikeledi Lehobye told a press briefing.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I'll check out the SA papers online when they come out first thing in the morning their time.

Suffice to say that being stopped by the police in the middle of the night in SA can mean a variety of things.

I had first hand experience of police corruption and was lucky to be saved by another cop arriving when things started getting very aggro (banged down on the bonnet of my car, frisked, etc for no reason whatsoever). A friend of mine also once got held up by a drunk policeman at gunpoint.

South Africa is a wild, almost lawless place and you simply cannot trust the police. I can tell you stories that will make your head spin.

Someone died here which is terrible. If he was drunk and assualted the cop it would be very, very sad indeed.

T

Tank

As Blue said, someone died here and that is terrible. And also, South Africa is a tough place so there will be more to come on the story.

I am a passionate rugby supporter but the opening paragrah of this article was going too far...
http://www.newstime.co.za/Sport/Blue_Bulls_cap_miserable_day_with_Puma_defeat/10099/

To quote: "The Blue Bulls capped off a miserable day, which started with the arrest of prop Bees Roux on a charge of murder, with a 21-22 defeat against the Pumas in Nelspruit."

I really think an allegation of a player assaulting a police officer to death and a lost game should not be discussed together as if they are comparable. In my view, in very poor taste.

T

TOCC

im basing my knowledge of the RSA police system on the Louis Theroux documentary "Law and Disorder in Johannesburg", pretty interesting perspective, it does support claims of police corruption and lawlessness on a wide scale

Either way, i think its unfair to be suggesting or insinuating that this policemen was involved in any kind of corruption, for all we know Bees Roux could have had a dead prostitute in the boot that he didn't want found

E

El Barto

Worst thing is that the Mungo's will probably try and outdo the Rah Rah boys as always.....

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
im basing my knowledge of the RSA police system on the Louis Theroux documentary "Law and Disorder in Johannesburg", pretty interesting perspective, it does support claims of police corruption and lawlessness on a wide scale

Either way, i think its unfair to be suggesting or insinuating that this policemen was involved in any kind of corruption, for all we know Bees Roux could have had a dead prostitute in the boot that he didn't want found

Quite right. All I was saying is that having elaborate first hand experience I take any late night incident involving police in South Africa with a bucket of salt before the facts come to light.

I have only been able to find Afrikaans reports so far that confirm he was drunk and beat the policeman severely. Looks 100% guilty from those reports. Good Lord.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Regardless of how corrupt the Saffer police may or may not be, or how guilty or not Roux may be, This is an awful tragedy for the Mogale family.

While somewhat early in relation to this case to jump to conclusions, it is safe to say that the abuse of Alcohol has destroyed many promising rugby (and mungoball) careers, both here and overseas.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
It's only fair to say that the likes of Beeld and the Afrikaans press are a) more likely to have the inside track from the Blue Bulls and b) if their line is as Blue points out, it may be taken he's in trouble.

And, having just read the IOL article, it reads like there's definitely a case to answer.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hard to believe a 1.86m and 120kg fella driving a small car like the Polo...

Tough story to read tho...thoughts to the family concerned...

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
the part about a small cop on his own getting in the car with a drunk prop to drive him around sounds odd to me.

you would think protocol would be to but the guy in the clink to let him sleep it off and tow the car.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Also the part about not being able to interview the on-duty officers because they were to upset. Is that what they do with criminals? Arrest them, but don't ask any questions because they're too upset. This is supposed to be an investigation to see why the officer was alone in a car with a drunk driver.

Still, unless the eyewitness can be proved to be false, sounds all over.

The tragedy here is for RSA, and a lawless society. Whatever way you cut it, the ANC have done a horrible job of rebuilding the society.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It is a tragedy what the ANC have done to the country, there are over 20,000 murders pa in SA, their population is about double ours.our murder rate is about 200 pa.
They have effectively stolen majority shareholdings from white owned businesses, thru "black empowerment" these shares are owned by a handful of ANC cronies.
A former union leader is now a billionare!
No wonder the whites are still leaving in droves.
It is such a shame, cos without crime, IMO is the best country in the world.
All this however does not excuse a drunk beating a copper to death, for whatever reason

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Yeah, that's the other side of the story. Before Mandela, a white man COULD beat a black man to death and get away with it.

The tricky other part of it is that formerly colonised countries NEVER do well. And we could wonder what the long-term effects of being colonised are.

I might move this out of rugby.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I agree to a point Scarfy, but post-colonisation societies haven't been complete failure. Many Asian countries have survived and even prospered after their European colonisers left.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Paarl, you could be the new South African correspondent on The Chaser with gems like that.
Dont want to open a new thread on the Bees issue. Slowly but surely the truth is coming out and myself never have doubt him in this one, like Snor and I hope this is going to explode in the SA soutie press faces as the truth comes out

Beeld
Bees 'was being blackmailed'

Pretoria - Blue Bulls prop Bees Roux may have become the victim of blackmail at the hands of metro police officers, after he spent a drunken evening at an infamous strip-club in Pretoria.

Roux had been at the club, Flamingo’s in Church Street, until the early hours of the morning before he was flagged down by members of the Tshwane metro police.

Roux later was arrested for murder after an incident in which one of the metro policemen died.

Pieter Crous, owner of Flamingo’s, said on Wednesday that officers of the Tshwane metro police would wait for his clients to emerge in the early hours and then drive them to ATM machines.

“The clients must then draw money and give it to the metro police officers or face being arrested for driving while drunk,” explained Crous. He confirmed that Roux and a friend were at his club on Friday morning.

Was already drunk

Another person who was also visiting Flamingo’s, said Roux and his friend were “already drunk” when they arrived at the club shortly before midnight. Roux left the club after 01:00.

“Presumably, he then fell prey to corrupt members of the metro police,” said Crous.

Roux appeared in the Pretoria Magistrate's Court on charges of murdering Sergeant Ntshimane Johannes Mohale, 38, and drunken driving. He was released on bail of R100 000.

Rudi Krause, his legal representative, said in the bail application that Roux was a “victim of theft by a metro police officer”.

Meanwhile, Tshwane metro police have launched their own internal investigation into Mohale and the two fellow officers who had instructed Roux to pull off the road that morning.

This is apparently the fourth internal investigation involving Mohale.

Beeld has learned from four independent sources about three previous ongoing internal investigations involving Mohale. These investigations related to charges of theft and disorderly conduct in July 2007; failing in his duty and unprofessional conduct in November 2008; and gross negligence, committing a deed harmful to the council and failing in his duty in December 2008.

Internal investigation

None of the earlier investigations or disciplinary hearings had been completed. Tleane did not want to confirm any of the charges. He did say the internal investigation which the metro police was conducting after Mohale’s murder was “standard procedure” and that metro police were working with the police “to understand the case”.

This included probing the procedure which officers followed after pulling Roux off the road for drunken driving.

Apparently, Roux was not arrested or cuffed, but Mohale got in behind the steering wheel of Roux’s car and then drove away with him.

The places where he drove to could not be confirmed at the time of going to print. They did, however, drive away from the nearest police stations, Sunnyside and Brooklyn.

Dikeledi Lehobye, member of the mayoral committee for community safety in Tshwane, stated on the afternoon of Mohale’s death that the metro police officers were taking Roux to his home when the incident occurred.

However, Roux resided in Equestria in the east of Pretoria. Krause did not want to comment and did not want Beeld to speak to Roux.

The law states that should an officer of the law pull over a person due to drunken driving, that person should be controlled by handcuffing him, explaining to him why he was being arrested, his rights should be read to him and he should be taken to the nearest police station.

- Beeld

Sorry Doc.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
EVEN IF he was about to be blackmailed for a few hundred bucks, it's a very different sense of justice that says it's then OK to beat the copper to death over it.

Only if the copper was about to shoot the guy, or at the very least was assaulting him, could you seek to defend this surely?

Status
Not open for further replies.