• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bernard Lapasset re-elected IRB boss, Oregan Hoskins vice chairman

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
What are your thoughts on the reappoint and Hoskins as vice chairman? I haven't heard much love for Hoskins so I can't imagine that will go down well.

LOS ANGELES: Bernard Lapasset was elected to a second consecutive term as chairman of the International Rugby Board on Monday in a 14-12 vote over vice chairman Bill Beaumont, a former England captain.

At a meeting near Los Angeles International Airport, the political struggle between Lapasset, a Frenchman, and Beaumont was settled on the first balloting.

Lapasset will begin a new four-year term on January 1.

Advertisement: Story continues below
South African Rugby Union chairman Oregan Hoskins was elected as the new IRB vice chairman starting July 1, with Beaumont opposing him and losing out thanks to Lapasset.

After two rounds of voting were deadlocked at 13-13, the chairman cast his deciding vote for Hoskins, denying his chairmanship rival the chance to keep his vice chairman’s spot.

The votes originally were to have come in Auckland ahead of the Rugby World Cup final in October, but the council instead decided to postpone a decision that might have overshadowed the build-up to the sport’s showcase match.

Each camp sought to secure votes from smaller nations with threats of lost financial backing and developmental tours if they voted for the opposition.

That set the odd stage of Los Angeles, the most convenient air destination for rugby leaders from all corners of the globe, to decide who will guide the administration of the sport for the next four years.

Lapasset, a former president of the French Rugby Federation, played a key role in France’s successful bid for the 2007 World Cup.

The pressure was on for rugby's leaders to take the decision across the line as both Lapasset, 64, and Beaumont, 59, were set to see their tenures end on January 1 after both were appointed to their posts in 2007.

Privately, Beaumont is understood to believe Lapasset reneged on a ’gentleman’s agreement’ to allow him a free run at becoming chairman.

Host and eventual champion New Zealand complained during the World Cup that the methods used by the IRB to distribute event revenues meant they lost money by competing and threatened a boycott of the 2015 World Cup in England unless the situation was changed.

Beaumont, who captained and later managed the British and Irish Lions, was expected to support an independent review of the IRB’s governance structure had he been elected.

AAP

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...ed-irb-boss-20111213-1os14.html#ixzz1gNxWYsVB

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Let me get this right - the 2 people at the top of the tree are

1. A Frenchmen. Home of the all money, un salary capped Top 14, where players play 42,000 games per year and the club owners buy current test quality players to put them on the bench.
2. A Saffa. Home of the most detrimental-to-the-team rugby leaders on the planet, by quite some distance.

Futures looking good.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Don't pigeon hole people based on nationality, they might be Crikey! A crocodile just ate my baby dingo! mate, I've got to jump on my kangaroo and ride 40,000 kms to the next town for an emergency supply of vegemite! Strueth...

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Let me get this right - the 2 people at the top of the tree are

1. A Frenchmen. Home of the all money, un salary capped Top 14, where players play 42,000 games per year and the club owners buy current test quality players to put them on the bench.
2. A Saffa. Home of the most detrimental-to-the-team rugby leaders on the planet, by quite some distance.

Futures looking good.

Look on the bright side. The other choices were:
1. Old Poms out of touch with the game who think England are still World Champions.
2. Australians who want to abolish scrums and disallow the 10 to be tackled. Ever.
3. Kiwis who will do whatever Australia says as long as they get their slice of the pie.

It's not that bad, besides, the French and Saffers won't udnerstand each other. How much damage could they possibly do? ;)

On a serious note, Hoskins is a political mangler who has done nothing good for SA rugby. He is solely responsible for appointing PdV with total free reign. That makes me worry. Sound decision making is not what I would associate with him.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Don't pigeon hole people based on nationality, they might be Crikey! A crocodile just ate my baby dingo! mate, I've got to jump on my kangaroo and ride 40,000 kms to the next town for an emergency supply of vegemite! Strueth...

Can a second generation local please translate.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Haha Blue,
It's much easier than all that Brai, Lekker, Vokker rubbish you boys drop all the time. I've got Buckley's trying to figure that out...

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)

I don't know Lapassat at all really, but I do know Hoskins was responsible for PdV... (as Blue pointed out). Am I the only one concerned by this?

I've never really understood stereotypes anyway. Just discussing with my wife, Woolly, she doesn't get it either.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I don't know Lapassat at all really, but I do know Hoskins was responsible for PdV... (as Blue pointed out). Am I the only one concerned by this?

I've never really understood stereotypes anyway. Just discussing with my wife, Woolly, she doesn't get it either.

What's a stereotype? :)

Jukebox?

Larno

Ward Prentice (10)
This little gem is from the PR article on the subject:

Lapasset has presided over rugby's return to the Olympic Games, Argentina's inclusion in The Rugby Championship, a 10-year tours and Test schedule, the awarding of Rugby World Cup to an Asian country for the first time and an exceptional Rugby World Cup 2011 during his recent term.

I also heard he presided over Jesus turning water into wine.

Seriously though, are any of those due to Lapasset's actions or direct influence as IRB chairman?

Lior

Herbert Moran (7)
He hasn't been too bad. In all seriousness, I think its a shame that he won though. I wonder if a new chief would have had Paddy O'Brien replaced as the head of refs?

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)

Seriously though, are any of those due to Lapasset's actions or direct influence as IRB chairman?

Who do u credit then? If we are going to lay the failings of the IRB at his feet we surely have to give him credit for whatever they actually do. I also think you underestimate the influence of a man who can get re-elected. Sure he is no Sepp Blatter, but he would be a driving force behind every decision and vote.

At the least you would have to give him credit for the Olympic games inclusion and agreeing to fund the Argies in the '4N'.

Larno

Ward Prentice (10)
Who do u credit then? If we are going to lay the failings of the IRB at his feet we surely have to give him credit for whatever they actually do. I also think you underestimate the influence of a man who can get re-elected. Sure he is no Sepp Blatter, but he would be a driving force behind every decision and vote.

At the least you would have to give him credit for the Olympic games inclusion and agreeing to fund the Argies in the '4N'.

It's not a problem I have with Lapasset himself, more the way the article is wirtten. The tone of that statement I posted rankles. While he may have presided over those achievements, a lot of other people worked to make them happen too.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)

He's the chairman, so yes.

I'm sure you could write a list of things crap that have happened under his stewardship as well. Top 14 money & Paddy O'Brien being 2 things I can think of of the top of my head (although I'm personally not as unduly bothered about POB as many others).

Tim&Bingo

Chris McKivat (8)
Bernie is a bit of an Evangelist ........all for taking the game to new places and converting the locals to the "One and only Church of Oval Balls"

F

François

What's your beef with TOP 14 money ? Sad to see Giteau leave ?

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
I'm not a big fan of Lapasset and of my federation but the advantage he got over Beaumont is that its strategy is far more global. Thanks to Lapasset Sevens will be an olympic sport and even if the old unions are scared to see the XV's code lose influence, I'm sure it won't happen. He also want to keep on developping the sport in other countries, whereas Beaumont wanted to create a small elite. I'm not sure Argentina would have been included in the Rugby Championship without him.
Rugby is changing and we (old rugby nations) have to understand that!

By the way the Top 14 has a salary cap (pretty high that's true).

Status
Not open for further replies.