• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Best individual performance by an aussie at a World cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm going to start a poll so please list any Aussie players outstanding world cup performances I may have missed.

I'll narrow down the list to 5 when I do the poll

Tim Horan 1999 RWC semi v Springboks
Stirling Mortlock 2003 RWC semi v New Zealand
David Pocock 2011 RWC Quarter final v South africa
Ricky Ponting 2003 CWC Final v India
Adam Gilchrist 2007 CWC Final v Sri lanka
Steve Waugh 1999 CWC super 6 game v South Africa
David Campese 1991 RWC semi v New zealand
Andrew Symonds 2003 CWC group game v Pakistan
Andy Bichel 2003 CWC group game v England
Tim cahill 2006 SWC group game v Japan
Shane Warne 1999 CWC semi v South Africa

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Didn't realise this was crossing codes.

Ponting's 2003 knock easily. Best ODI innings ever.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
John Eales in 1991, that incredible chase and tackle to save a certain try in the last few minutes - should at least be on the list. But Horan in 1999 was just sensational.

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
If we're going cross code, Lucas Neill should be on the list for the 2006 world cup - take you pick of any of the games, but especially vs Japan

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not the best but most courageous I've seen in recent times has to be Pat McCabe against south africa.

L

Linebacker_41

Andrew Symonds 2003 CWC group game v Pakistan

Absolutely the best single performance by any Aussie in a World Cup

and i HATE cricket!!!!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'd give it to Timmay I reckon. That was an incredible performance in the context of the occasion and how crook the bloke had been in the lead up.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's hard to judge.

An individual performance stands out so much more clearly in cricket than it does in rugby.

Horan, Ponting and Gilchrist would be the three that spring to mind in semi finals/finals.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Think you've covered just about all of them.

I'd probably throw in Berrick Barnes vs Wales in 2007 as well, not sure it's quite up there with the others though.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Actually, I would say that George Smith was better than Mortlock against the ABs in the 03 semi.......

He was definitely the best Aus player in that tournament.......

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
First thought was Timmy Horan, but Pocock does put up a good fight! Have no idea about cricket. Soccer Id give it to Timmy Cahill Vs Japan, Neil was a standout but Timmy won us the game.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I would argue that, by definition, the best performance can only happen in a World Cup winning match. That is the pinnacle that must be reached, and the best player on the day has reached the highest pinnacle.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
First thought was Timmy Horan, but Pocock does put up a good fight! Have no idea about cricket. Soccer Id give it to Timmy Cahill Vs Japan, Neil was a standout but Timmy won us the game.

In addition to the illness Horan had immediately before the game and during it you have to factor in the horrendous knee injury he had in south africa in 1994 after which it was widely thought he would never play again.

Status
Not open for further replies.