• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Best Marquee player recruited by a Australian Super Rugby team

Best foreign marquee player

• David Smith(Force)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ben Castle(Force)

• Danny Cipriani(Rebels)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

This allowance has been in effect for going on 6 years now and we have seen a vast array of different players come and go, some successfully and some left with their tails between their legs.

Il probably forget a few so il try add them in later:

Reds
Daniel Braid,

Waratahs
Sosene Anesi, Sarel Pretorius

Force
Andre Pretorius, Willie Ripia, David Smith, Ben Castle, Napolioni Nalaga, Alby Mathewson

Brumbies
Leon Power?

Rebels
Gareth Delve, Danny Cipriani, Ged Robinson

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm disappointed with the lack of Sarel Pretorius at the Waratahs. How else could he be paid so much for less than 400 minutes in the year? (Joking)

T

Train Without a Station

Braid was great for the Reds at a really bad time wasn't he? Really offered a lot and I read plenty about the professionalism that he brought to the squad.

Delve was obviously great for the Rebels.

Matthewson was good, but I would not consider him as valuable, only because the Force had Sheehan languishing on the bench al year on the back of a few Wallaby performances.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Braid was great for the Reds at a really bad time wasn't he? Really offered a lot and I read plenty about the professionalism that he brought to the squad.

Delve was obviously great for the Rebels.

Matthewson was good, but I would not consider him as valuable, only because the Force had Sheehan languishing on the bench al year on the back of a few Wallaby performances.

Braid was great for the Reds in that he raised the training bar for them. In this regard, without him, they would have languished at the bottom of the ladder

T

Train Without a Station

I thought he was prior to their success (08 & 09) however on second thoughts, it was 2009 & 2010, their first year of reasonable success.

You would wonder if Horwill, Genia, Cooper, Fainga'a, Slipper, etc. would be the players they are without his influence.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I'm disappointed with the lack of Sarel Pretorius at the Waratahs. How else could he be paid so much for less than 400 minutes in the year? (Joking)

They should have fucking kept him. His running game would be devastating in the context of their current system.

For mine it's Braid in first with Delve following closely behind, then Ged.

T

TOCC

I completely forgot about the claw!

I thought i'd be able to edit the poll and add in Alby Mathewson, but i don't have the power to do so.

T

Train Without a Station

Mudskipper, to say that Speight has had an equal positive impact on the Brumbies as Delve has had on the Rebels and Braid did on the Reds is fucking ludicrous.

He had one stand out season which he built up towards each year, like a good developing player should. When he arrived he was another average winger.

He's become a great player for the Brumbies, but to even compare his impact to the immediate positive impact on young squads Delve and Braid had is completely laughable.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I guess there are two ways to look at it.

Delve and Braid were good on the field but their legacy is probably moreso in the culture they instilled within the team and helping drive both their organisations forward.

Speight on the other hand has blossomed into an excellent player who is very likely to become a Wallaby in 2014. From the outside though, it wouldn't appear he has much influence on the Brumbies as an organisation (not that I would expect him to).

Whilst they're not considered marquee players as such, I think you could pretty much throw in the high profile rugby league converts into this conversation. Coming to a super rugby team with the financial support of the ARU kinds of makes them marquee players in my book. Of these, Tuqiri and Folau would have to be the best.

T

Train Without a Station

Tuqiri brought a lot of star power. Folau perhaps less because of his time out of the spotlight in AFL, however I think on the field Folau has been slightly better.

T

TOCC

Ah please, leave the NRL recruits out of it, the thread which just spiral into the usual mungo rubbish and they are another subject altogether..

This is about foreign marquee players, i.e foreign rugby players signed as marquee signings to boost the roster, not cross code converts.

Status
Not open for further replies.