• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

best schoolboy side

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

i didnt get too see them play this year, but from all accounts the state high side this year will go down as one of the greats..

can any side in recent memory present a better argument as a better side.??

8 schoolboys.

the churchie 03 side, with 6 Schoolboys was very good as well (Karmichael Hunt included)

C

chief

State High actually had 9 schoolboys in total. One was dropped.

R

rugbywhisperer

There is no doubt this years team is a champion team.
many have drawn a comparison to the 07 TSS side but even I think the State High team may have won out. There are many differences and the TSS team had a magnificent backline and a great tight 5.
Lets call it a tie but it would be good to watch.

S

straightshooter

rugbywhisperer said:
There is no doubt this years team is a champion team.
many have drawn a comparison to the 07 TSS side but even I think the State High team may have won out. There are many differences and the TSS team had a magnificent backline and a great tight 5.
Lets call it a tie but it would be good to watch.

Think the BSHS team were so far ahead of opposition this year - that TSS team (2007) was relentless and so called experts reckon would have worn down the BSHS team in the last 15 minutes - something about the ethnicity of each team and withstanding immense pressure over an extended period of time. BSHS were never under any pressure at all in 2009 - they (the team) were just TOO good for the rest of the teams.

R

rugbywhisperer

That is a very good point.
In 80 minutes of rugby I think I would opt for the TSS team. They were exceptionally fit and strong and I think their backline was second to none.
Evans, Lance, Tapuai, Stapleton, Moraghan, Brownlee, Moraghan - great backline

C

chief

That back line is certainly an amazing backline not questioning that at all. Stapleton was electric, him and Chris Sautia would probably be the best schools wingers that we will see for a long time. That was certainly a very good backline, definitely better then the BSHS one from this year.

However this years forward pack from BSHS certainly beats any other schools forward pack. They did rolling mauls that went 40 metres. Their scrum was dominant, their lineout even more dominant. They were at times lacking the turnovers, but that was the only concern really.

The BSHS inside centre not sure of his name (mallie?) he was probably the best back in the BSHS team. Why was he overlooked for schoolboys?

I honestly don't know who would be better. It's out of those two teams though.

R

rugbywhisperer

chief said:
That back line is certainly an amazing backline not questioning that at all. Stapleton was electric, him and Chris Sautia would probably be the best schools wingers that we will see for a long time. That was certainly a very good backline, definitely better then the BSHS one from this year. best back in the BSHS team. Why was he overlooked for schoolboys?

Actually that particular Stapelton is Nathan and played centre. Nathan had a terrible schools champs and played himself out of a spot.
Brett was a year or so earlier and was fast but dumb as wood. He was selected for the schoolboys tour however tore him hamstring at GPS T&F so didn't go on tour.
I would rate Moraghan way above Brett Stapleton - he just couldn't defend and couldn't make a try - only finish them very well hence limited 7's after school and is now off overseas somewhere trying for recognition.

C

chief

Sorry was talking the BSHS inside centre. Not sure of his name, but he was a killer in defense.

P

playa

ben malley plays league for qld which had their c'ships at the same time thus was not considered
the state high team of this year didnt not have any challenging games so it is hard to draw a comparision where as in 07 the gps competition was very strong across the board with the likes f james o'connor and matt To'omua etc
the actual team of tss 07 was swanepoel, lance, tapuai, stapleton, mitchell(11) morohan(14) and young simon morhan at 15
the churchie side of 03 didnt even win te premiership outright. they tied with tss
both the tss side of 07 and state high team both had some yougsters as well with young morohan and jarrad butler filling for jack burton in a number of game also state high with chris feauai and curtis browning. so it is pretty even across the park
i think the tss side had a slightly stonger pack spearheaded by their aus schoolboy front row
so i would say the tss side of 07 is slighly better IMO

R

rugbywhisperer

playa said:
ben malley plays league for qld which had their c'ships at the same time thus was not considered
the state high team of this year didnt not have any challenging games so it is hard to draw a comparision where as in 07 the gps competition was very strong across the board with the likes f james o'connor and matt To'omua etc
the actual team of tss 07 was swanepoel, lance, tapuai, stapleton, mitchell(11) morohan(14) and young simon morhan at 15
the churchie side of 03 didnt even win te premiership outright. they tied with tss
both the tss side of 07 and state high team both had some yougsters as well with young morohan and jarrad butler filling for jack burton in a number of game also state high with chris feauai and curtis browning. so it is pretty even across the park
i think the tss side had a slightly stonger pack spearheaded by their aus schoolboy front row
so i would say the tss side of 07 is slighly better IMO

Welcome aboard there playa.
Thanks for those amendments - how time flies. I was wracking my brain for the left winger at TSS and the only name I could come up with was brownlee - but Mitchell it was - but wasn't he injured very early in the season and missed most of it.
I also thought JOC (James O'Connor) went to NC.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
rugbywhisperer said:
Welcome aboard there playa.
Thanks for those amendments - how time flies. I was wracking my brain for the left winger at TSS and the only name I could come up with was brownlee - but Mitchell it was - but wasn't he injured very early in the season and missed most of it.
I also thought JOC (James O'Connor) went to NC.

Yeah, JOC (James O'Connor) was at NC, To'omua BSHS. I think he was trying to say that year there were other strong teams due to very good players being amongst other sides.

R

rugbywhisperer

It was an overall great year.
Maybe Swanny has shot his bolt but many them should see some S14/15 action in years to come.

P

playa

i think you maybe be confusing mitchell with lance
lance was for a couple of games and julian taylor was put in at 12 with tapuai moved to 10
also the ipswich side were very strong as well in 07

R

rugbywhisperer

playa said:
i think you maybe be confusing mitchell with lance
lance was for a couple of games and julian taylor was put in at 12 with tapuai moved to 10
also the ipswich side were very strong as well in 07

I really don't think I am confusing Dan Mitchell with Jonno Lance. But I concede Dan actually played the full year but was susceptible to injury.
Julian Taylor is skitzo and was a good bench player.
One should never write of any Ippy side - ever never.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Comparisons are a dangerous thing, but hell it's a forum so pointless sitting on the fence.

Personally, I think the 2003 Churchie team was brilliant, but a drawn premiership (controversial circumstances) blunts their credentials.

No doubt this years State High team was special, as evidenced by the number of National Reps.

My vote though goes with the 2007 TSS team, due mainly to the quality of the teams they played that year. A number of the stars of that comp, were significant contributors to the Qld II team that took out the nationals, as 16 year olds. Three have gone on to Wallaby status, and a few more are on the verge of S14. One is an NRL Premier grader.

That TSS team destroyed quality competition.

C

chief

BSHS had 12 of 15 players in the State Team. 1 of them was in QLD league. On paper State High looks the goods. But on performance I'm not entirely sure on who is the goods.

I do think State High, but it really does depend on the quality of opposition they faced. I think Chris Sautia will be a bit of a hot shot in Rugby one day, as will Curtis Browning. I only watched 2 of the 07 TSS games though.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
chief said:
I think Chris Sautia will be a bit of a hot shot in Rugby one day, as will Curtis Browning.

Amen, but I hope that Curtis can play 8 next year. That's his spot as a senior player IMO.

Can't really nominate a Sydney school. In the last 20 years or so Joeys has had the strongest team, year in year out, but their strongest point has been strong team play and nearly always having a pack of blue heeler forwards who literally play above their weight.

I saw all the BSHS boys playing in the Schools tournament at Knox this year. It must have been formidable team.

Have the Reds stitched up THP Paul Alo Emile yet - anybody know? If not, we'll take him off your hands.

R

rugbywhisperer

Lee Grant said:
chief said:
I think Chris Sautia will be a bit of a hot shot in Rugby one day, as will Curtis Browning.

Have the Reds stitched up THP Paul Alo Emile yet - anybody know? If not, we'll take him off your hands.

Pretty well sure they have there LG, I am sure he is in the Academy

C

chief

Correct Paul is in the academy. I believe he's also with Sunnybank as well.

S

straightshooter

chief said:
Correct Paul is in the academy. I believe he's also with Sunnybank as well.
Of course he would be with Sunnybank Now Now
Am sure Rob Nowland, being Aussie Schoolboy Coach and sunnybank Prems Coach had something to do with it

Status
Not open for further replies.