• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Best World Wallaby team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
After reading Bob Dwyer's article it got me thinking about the Wallabies and who would make the teat 23 if we could pick players from anywhere in the world.

Have a go and see how many OS players would make the team.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think some of our overseas players would make the squad currently, but I wouldn't see any of them in the matchday 23 except maybe Dan Palmer. I doubt Link would pick him given his front row selections this year.

Giteau has been playing pretty well but I also wouldn't pick him. To'omua looks to have nailed down the 12 jersey for the immediate future.

I can't see Brock James getting selected if the policy changed.

Of all our players playing in Europe and the struggles we've had at lock, Dean Mumm would be pretty close to the squad much to the howls of most Australian rugby fans.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Gitts would undoubtedly be in the 23 for his ability to cover 12, 10, and arguably 9.

Dean Mumm would be at least in the 23 on current form and on current lock stocks (surprising, but others will agree).

Digby would be there probably over Cummo (even though he had a good test).

Maybe Salvi would be worth a looksee as a squad player? He's at least as dominant in the Premiership as Louw is.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Diggers, Kimlin, Palmer, and maybe even Mitchell would threaten to make the 23 from France.

From the Premiership, JOC (James O'Connor) (to our dismay), and Mumm as mentioned by BH.

George Smith would get in to the 23 at least.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Diggers, Kimlin, Palmer, and maybe even Mitchell would threaten to make the 23 from France.

From the Premiership, JOC (James O'Connor) (to our dismay), and Mumm as mentioned by BH.

George Smith would get in to the 23 at least.

Mitchell hasn't impressed me from what I've seen. Kimlin on the other had would be a shoe in if he'd of been patient.

I suppose it's tough for a fringe international like Kimlin who hung around for so many years waiting for a spot and never lucked out, and now it's there.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah, Mitchell has not yet settled in and hasn't set the world alight at all over in France.

Haven't seen how Kimlin currently is going. Is he no longer injured?

T

tranquility

Salvi absolutely sucks. Bottom 5% of backrowers when he plays Super Rugby. However he somehow manages to be the in the top 5% percent of backrowers in Northern Hemisphere. Strange to think that we are supposedly playing the same game.

T

Train Without a Station

Salvi absolutely sucks. Bottom 5% of backrowers when he plays Super Rugby. However he somehow manages to be the in the top 5% percent of backrowers in Northern Hemisphere. Strange to think that we are supposedly playing the same game.

Couldn't agree more. Was recruited back and put in front of Hooper and Colby in the queue at the brumbies and promptly fell to the back of it. Laughable to suggest the bloke considering next season all provinces have a quality 7 and some even have 2 (Brumbies - Pocock, Waratahs - Hooper, Rebels - Colby Reds - Gill & Robinson, Force - Hodgson & Alcock)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Couldn't agree more. Was recruited back and put in front of Hooper and Colby in the queue at the brumbies and promptly fell to the back of it. Laughable to suggest the bloke considering next season all provinces have a quality 7 and some even have 2 (Brumbies - Pocock, Waratahs - Hooper, Rebels - Colby Reds - Gill & Robinson, Force - Hodgson & Alcock)

Jordy Reid is a bit of a goer, too.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

It would be interesting to go back to the Brumbies' 2011 season and have a look at all the close games they lost that year, and how many points Salvi gave away in boneheaded penalties.........

T

Train Without a Station

Jordy Reid is a bit of a goer, too.

The bloke isn't really a genuine 7 though. He's a big of a 6.5. Plays like a 6 but at 7 because he just isn't the line out option of a 6 and lacks the size of an 8.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Would people like Chisholm get games now that our forward pack needs beefing?

Yes. Chisholm was surplus to requirements when we had guys like Vickerman, Sharpe and an in form Horwill, but now he is probably better than all our current locks based on form. He would be a very, very good chance of making a RWC squad and should seriously consider returning to Australia. I don't think any of our Super Rugby teams have enough depth in the second row that they wouldn't be interested.

T

Train Without a Station

Yes. Chisholm was surplus to requirements when we had guys like Vickerman, Sharpe and an in form Horwill, but now he is probably better than all our current locks based on form. He would be a very, very good chance of making a RWC squad and should seriously consider returning to Australia. I don't think any of our Super Rugby teams have enough depth in the second row that they wouldn't be interested.

Mate put down the rose coloured glasses. Last time the bloke was sighted, was getting driven back by Johnny Wilkinson at Twickenham in 2010. He had numerous chances and never cut it. No worse than the current crop, but no better either after close to 50 caps.

Super Rugby teams would be interested surely yes, but other than Timani, I doubt you would bring him in over any other player in the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.