• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Big change to eligibility rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Overseas players now able to be picked for the Wallabies provided they have 60 caps or 7 years service.

Also overseas players who commit to coming back to Super Rugby can play for the Wallabies the year before they return.

Fuuuuuck!!! Let the selection games begin!

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Is that 7 years service in super rugby?

Only players i can think of that the 60 game limit affects immediately are Gits Mitchell and smith. With the like of cooper Genia and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to benefit from it in the future.

If it is 7 years super rugby service then it really opens he door players like Douglas Moran maafu Barnes digby could all then be eligible

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Will make for some interesting rugby championship selections, I imagine cheika will want to call back a host of players to see how they stack up.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I count only 6 years for Maafu

Ex Wallaby captain Ben Mowen is eligible though. This certainly throws a spanner in the works.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
7 years contracted with Australian Rugby..

My guess is that means super rugby contracts?

Mowen, Douglas, Maafu, Giteau. Those are the 4 I'd select.

Is Dan Palmer eligible?

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I thought Dan Palmer was already contracted for the Brumbies in 2015? Surely he'll be captain

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
settle down, settle down.

It is 60 caps & 7 years apparently.

So only real options are

George Smith, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Giteau, Stephen Moore, Elsom, Benn Robinson, Ben Alexander, Drew Mitchell, Slipper

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I count only 6 years for Maafu

Ex Wallaby captain Ben Mowen is eligible though. This certainly throws a spanner in the works.
7,8,9,10,11,12,13 - makes 7 have to count inclusive. Also he played for Australia a in that first year which I assume counts as test service, so it may not need to be super rugby.

T

Train Without a Station

Will make for some interesting rugby championship selections, I imagine cheika will want to call back a host of players to see how they stack up.

There's very few who will qualify. Need to hold a contract with the ARU for 7 years AND have played more than 60 tests.

I think that would include active players Matt Giteau, Rocky Elsom, Drew Mitchell and George Smith up north.

Interestingly Berrick Barnes falls short with 51.

I tend to wonder if this is some sort of shrewd ploy by the ARU to bring down the values of players overseas. It's the best they can do if they can't compete. Surely players who would miss up to 10 weeks of the season due to international windows would be worth a lot less to the French clubs.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Damn, I think we all got a little carried away for a second there.

Should have called it the 'Matt Giteau' policy. Can't see any value in selecting Elsom or Mitchell.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
The way it reads to me is that a player needs to satisfy both the 60 tests and 7 years service.

“Those players who satisfy the 60-game and seven-year threshold have already invested heavily and contributed considerably to Australian Rugby over a long period of time,”

The key word there is "and" if it was one or the other is would say "or" would it not?

That would mean ATM it really only effects Gits Mitchell smith and maybe Elsom as overseas based playeds.

Edit: I see that's the thoughts of others above.

Status
Not open for further replies.