• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Big change to eligibility rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Others top class players (more top class than him), also have had family and have chosen play for his country. Then he isn't at the level of the great legends of the sport, it's just my opinion. He shouldn't even be interested in becoming a legend, OK. Goodbye Kepu

Sometimes people just need to out family first, just because it worked for someone else doesn't mean it will work for another.. I don't see why your holding it against him because he hasn't had more caps?

In my job I can spend anywhere between 3-6 months away from home each year, I've seen many a good men leave the job for family reasons and I can fully respect someone who makes that decision.. I know eventually I will have to make the same call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

I would support it extending to 5 years..

But I would like to see an exception if the player moves somewhere before he is 18years old.. Maybe make it 5years if the player moves after 18yrs old and 3years if he moves before 18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
George Smith: 111 caps
Sekope Kepu: 52 caps

How many caps did their kids have at the same stage? As others have said, Kepu and Smith both made their decision to go overseas at age 29 and my understanding is that both had young families of similar ages.

Kepu's kids won't stop getting older for a few years whilst he works on getting another 30+ Wallaby caps.

If you want to spend more time with your kids whilst they're young, you only get one chance.

Comparing players' service to the Wallabies against each other is a pretty fruitless task. In just the same way you're doing, you can make a case that pretty much every Wallaby is a poor servant of the game because they haven't played as many times as one of the all time legends. What's the point in that?

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
Remember the situation. He had more than 100 caps when he resigned and few months later he signed for Toulon. Clearly he had planned to travel to Europe, is the retirement of any rugby superstar from SH.

He went abroad in 2010 (Toulon) and returned in 2013. He had no rule in his favor as Kepu has ATM, so you can't judge by different rules. When in 2013 he was back, he returned. Although many people said he was old to play at 7 at the international level, despite thats he returned to wear the gold jersey(Lions Tour 2013). Then he returned to emigrate (Lyon 2014) and he returned to be ineligible. Different rules.

Despite all that, you can't compare, just different levels.

George Smith: 111 caps
Sekope Kepu: 52 caps

So because Kepu isn't one the greatest Wallabies of all time, he's not allowed to want to spend time with his family? He's roughly the same age as Smith was when he left, and in three years time, I wouldn't be surprised if Kepu puts his hand up for Wallabies selection again, like Smith did.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
It would be easier to spend time with your kids if your regular rugby is in one small country and you dont have international tours to contend with.

These guys should be set for life if they have invested wisely so good on them for thinking about family.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
What is the craic with the ARU asking for Kane Douglas to be released from Leinster for the RWC? Does that indicate that one of the Aussie franchises is going to come in for him and the ARU will buy out his contract with Leinster? Just to be clear, I have no problem with him being called up, I just don't understand how it fits with the new Aussie selection criteria.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Why is it that the Reds are the franchise being linked with all of the reported buyout attempts? Douglas, Genia, Cooper until recently and I wonder if it will cost to keep JOC (James O'Connor) here for the second year? I believe they (the Reds) probably have deeper pockets than any other province, but they do seem to be chasing very expensive rainbows this year. And really, $200,000 - 250,000 to buy out Cooper's contract which they/ve now turned their backs on is a heck of a lot better value than $370,000 for Kane Douglas.

Don't know if they are just desperate for some quality players, or if they are fronting for the ARU in these shenanigans.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I haven't read anything from the QRU that says they are looking to buyout contracts. With the current financial situation of all the clubs and ARU no one can afford to buyout any contracts.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I haven't read anything from the QRU that says they are looking to buyout contracts. With the current financial situation of all the clubs and ARU no one can afford to buyout any contracts.

Which is probably why RG was allowed to serve his time as HC of Team Red.

Status
Not open for further replies.