• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bingham Cup 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
8vRXpt4Y.jpg

At the time of Mark Bingham’s tragic death, only six gay and inclusive rugby clubs existed worldwide. Two of those were co-founded by Mark. Today there are over 65 clubs. The Bingham Cup is the global event that promotes rugby union as an inclusive non-discriminatory sport.
The first Bingham Cup was held in San Francisco in 2002, and events since have been held in London, New York, Dublin, Minneapolis and Manchester. 2014 sees the Bingham Cup held on Australian shores for the first time.

Past Bingham Cup winners:
2002 – San Francisco Fog
2004 – San Francisco Fog
2006 – Sydney Convicts A
2008 – Sydney Convicts A
2010 – Gotham Knights
2012 – Sydney Convicts A
2014 – Sydney Convicts A

For the first time since 2010, the Bingham Cup returns to the United States and lands in Nashville, Tennessee. Often referred to as “Music City,” Nashville is excited to transform into “Rugby City” in May 2016 as at least 41 teams from around the globe gather for the 8th Mark Kendall Bingham Memorial Cup, including Australian entries Sydney Convicts, Melbourne Chargers and Brisbane Hustlers.

The Bingham festivities kicking off on Sunday, May 22nd and run through Sunday, May 29th. Vanderbilt housing will open on Saturday, May 21st with the Official Opening Ceremonies on Thursday, May 26th.

Matches will start on Friday, May 27th and run through Sunday, May 29th at Ted Rhodes Park. Closing ceremonies will follow on Sunday evening.

For those new to the show, here is a great back story on the tournament, posted by @Fly on G&GR on Sep 13 2012.
Hey Gentlemen,
My first post, but feel i'm uniquely placed to comment.

Mark Bingham was a close friend of mine. Yesterday marked 11 years since we lost him.
I have played in x4 Bingham Cups. Won 2 of them. Played in the Final in a 3rd. And ran 3rd in my final one.
I'm a straight guy. While a lot of my Brothers are gay, I have never been that way inclined.

Mark along with a handful of us started the San Francisco Fog in 2000 in a pub - where things of this nature start.
As a straight, married guy living in San Francisco with a bunch of Gay buddies , and after playing here at home since I was 4 years old, I thought it was a great idea for me to lend a hand.
I loved the idea of creating a place to be able to play for everyone. Gay, straight, black, white - if you had never seen a Rugby ball in your life that was cool. We would teach you. We had the opportunity to create a "Rugby Utopia" - and we did. I was very much the "token straight guy" in the early years - but it didn't bother me and it didn't bother them. We were all there for one thing - to play Football.

A year later and September rolls around. Needless to say it was pretty heavy. We knew Mark was on that plane as he was coming back for practice that evening.
In his honour we created the Bingham Cup.

The first was held in San Francisco in 2002. We were lucky winners in the Final against a tough as nails London team. The joy on the faces of my Brothers - who mostly had never won any kind of sporting endevor in their life was memorable - to say the least. I was interviewed by NPR (National Public Radio) before the tournament began (as the "token" i'd imagine) and was asked an interesting question. "What's it like for a straight guy playing Gay Rugby?". I had not thought of it like that before and thought it was strange to do so. I told the guy, "Dude, I don't play Gay Rugby. I play Rugby. It's the same game they play in the UK/NZ and at home in Australia. Same rules. I just happen to play it with bunch of Gay guys."

The second in 2004 was in London. It was a crazy week and ended with us going back-to-back after beating Manchester in the Final.
I carried the Bingham Cup back to San Francisco. When I checked in on British Airways I was upgraded to Business Class. The Cup rode in the spare seat next to me back to the City of Champions.
Later that year we created a Women's team with the same ethos. Anyone, anywhere, any background, any size, you have a home here. We will teach you.
We also started going into local schools to run clinics on the same principles.

3rd Bingham Cup was in New York. Another crazy week with games played on a field out in the East River.
Had to rake the stones and glass off the field into huge mounds before each game. Classy.
We made the final where we faced a new team on the block - Sydney. Interestingly, started by another buddy of mine who played with me in San Francisco during the 1st Cup. Being an Aussie also he came home and started the Convicts. And what a team it was. Solid and tough all over the park. They beat us in the New York summer swelter by about 16-12 if I recall correctly.

The 4th and my final Cup in Dublin was in 2008. More new classy teams on the block included a gritty New York team who beat us for a shot at the Final. Sydney was already there waiting.
Sydney did the job on them quite easily from what I remember - which was not much. I got my teeth knocked out on the Final play of the game V's New York.

Whats the point in all this? Not much aside from explaining that your sexuality means nothing. As did your ability mean nothing, your experience, your race or your religion.
It's not as if you have to show some of kind of "Gay ID" in order to get a run.
What you do have to posses is a love for the game and a desire to have under-represented people play it.
Its the game the play in Heaven. Best to get everyone started on it down here before they get there right?

Mark is waiting.
CiyYmEfXAAARXZr.jpg:large

Pic: The Bingham Cup has arrived in Nashville Pic from @BinghamCupo2016 twitter

The Defending Champions, Sydney Convicts have received messages of support from PM Malcolm Turnbull, Wallabies Coach Michael Cheika, and Wallaby Legend John "Nobody" Eales.

With such high profile support from across the country, Convicts President Don Rose is humbled.
“We are inspired and flattered to have the support of some of Australia’s highest profile people from rugby and politics, and every bit of the support will help us bring home the Bingham Cup, and tournament silverware for our 2nds team too,” he says.
http://www.samesame.com.au/news/13724/PM-wishes-Sydney-Convicts-well-for-Bingham-Cup
RUGBYPLAYER_Alice%26Mark%20for%20web.jpg

Pic from Out and About Nashville article: Alice Hoagland reflects on the life of her son Mark Bingham: here

More Information on Bingham Cup here: http://binghamcup.com/ and on Twitter: @BinghamCup2016

BvTn_ngCIAMLLWw.jpg:large

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Got a couple of mates heading over there refereeing, a lot of beer, a lot of partying and a lot a footy sounds like a great trip!!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bingham Cup 2016 Results
Friday 27 May
Pool A Div 1
Sydney Convicts A 41 def London Kings Cross Steelers B 0
Sydney Convicts A 62 def World Barbarians/Lisbon 3

Pool B Div 1
Brisbane Hustlers 61 def Village Spartans 0
Brisbane Hustlers 45 def Philadelphia Gryphons 0

Pool C Div 1
Melbourne Chargers B 0 def by Boston Ironsides 36
Melbourne Chargers B 0 def by London Kings Cross Steelers A 53

Pool D Div 1
Sydney Convicts B 10 def by Seattle Quake 18
Sydney Convicts B 12 def Atlanta Bucks 3

Pool E Div 1
Melbourne Chargers A 41 def Chicago Dragons 0
Melbourne Chargers A 34 def New York Gotham Knights 0

Saturday 28 May
Pool A Div 1
Sydney Convicts A 41 def Emerald Warriors/Beserkers 0

Pool B Div 1
Brisbane Hustlers 17 def Washington Renegades A 0

Pool C Div 1
Melbourne Chargers B 0 def by San Francisco Fog 39

Pool D Div 1
Sydney Convicts B 10 def Los Angeles Rebellion 5

Pool E Div 1
Melbourne Chargers A 24 def Washington Renegades B 0

Bingham Cup Quarter Finals
Sydney Convicts A def Sydney Convicts B
Brisbane Hustlers def Seattle Quake
Melbourne Chargers A def San Francisco Fog
Washington Renegades A def London Kings Cross Steelers A

Bingham Cup Semi Finals
Sydney Convicts A def Brisbane Hustlers
Melbourne Chargers A def Washington Renegades A

Bingham Cup Final
Melbourne Chargers A 20 def Sydney Convicts A

The Bingham Cup is returning to Australia.

CHARGERS DEFEAT CONVICTS IN BINGHAM CUP

Chargers.jpg

The Melbourne Chargers. Image by Dean Arcuri.

Bingham Cup winners:
2002 – San Francisco Fog
2004 – San Francisco Fog
2006 – Sydney Convicts A
2008 – Sydney Convicts A
2010 – Gotham Knights
2012 – Sydney Convicts A
2014 – Sydney Convicts A
2016 - Melbourne Chargers A
CjqZTC6VAAAN5kR.jpg:large

Status
Not open for further replies.