• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Black Caps vs Proteas in NZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Take a bow Richard Levi:

This x Wynberg Boys High cricket freak kid smashed all kinds of records on his way against the Black Caps yesterday. I have been watching him all season since he came under my attention for our Cape Cobra province. He sure is the first of a new generation T20 mik en moer modern coached cricketer. The kids around here get coached this way nowadays from u7 level and Levi the first to break through for SA on this level. To break this kind of T20 records in only your second T20 interenational match is phenomonal.
1. Fastest ton in international cricket. 45 balls
2. Most sixes in an innings. 13.
3. First ton for a SA player in T20. 117no

Sport24

Levi’s huge challenge ahead

2012-02-19 14:15
Email | Print

fd079f21fe164858aa6446ac4e7949d7.jpg

Richard Levi (AP)
Cape Town - Wow, it didn’t take long for “lightning” to strike in Richard Levi’s international career, did it?

He catapulted to most talked-about cricketer on the planet on Sunday, courtesy of his multiple record-smashing century for the Proteas against New Zealand in the second Twenty20 international before a shell-shocked full house at Seddon Park in Hamilton.

And that’s quite something for a 24-year-old (he turned that last month) playing in just his second game for his country.

Commentators, writers and tweeters have no doubt exhausted all the traditional superlatives already as they describe his 117 not out, 51-ball carnage against the Black Caps, which saw South Africa romp to a handsome eight-wicket victory with four full overs to spare.

As series-levelling wins go, this was as emphatic as it gets and the pole-axed hosts, you feel, will do incredibly well now to climb off the canvas and claim Wednesday’s decider in Auckland, again at 08:00 SA time.

Still, T20 is a funny old game and it is on that score that Levi - another product of Wynberg Boys’ High for their pupils past and present to crow over, even as they continue to glow with pride over the broad cricketing exploits of Jacques Kallis - will have some thoughts to chew on after the back-slapping eases.

For he is in a relatively unique position, perhaps realising before too long that just his second outing for South Africa may never be personally emulated again.

To use the expression “it’s all downhill from here” might well sound unnecessarily negative and overly dramatic, but in statistical terms that might well be very much the case for Levi, at least as far as the T20 arena is concerned.

Think about it: his knock was so freakish in its levels of devastation that even when a hopefully lengthy career at the top flight comes to an end one day, February 19 2012 on the North Island of New Zealand may yet turn out to be his most memorable occasion in the green shirt.

Not for a second am I suggesting Richard Ernst Levi will come to be known as a one-knock wonder - quite clearly he has some special qualities as a limited-overs opening batsman - but he is probably going to find it hard, at least for a while, to live up to the giddying, meteoric hype he created in this match.

People will flock to see him in one-day combat - there’s got to be at least a fair chance he will somehow winkle his way into the Proteas’ ODI plans on this very tour - and be “disappointed” for the short- to medium-term future whenever he gets out for a cracking 45 or 50: that’s how quickly expectation can take hold in sport.

It is also the inadvertent price he will pay for rewriting cricket stats so sweepingly at pretty, postage-stamp Seddon Park where even his mis-hits had spectators fearing for the safety of their skulls and, almost as importantly, watermarks on their beer cups.

Fastest T20 international century of all time, most sixes in an innings, highest score by a South African... these are rare landmarks to boast.

And while the beefily-built Levi (even those who frown on slightly excessive girth by professional sportsmen may well excuse him that phenomenon at present) failed by one run to stand alone for highest score in the format, sharing the company of established T20 super-leaguer Chris Gayle is hardly to be sniffed at.

The big left-handed Jamaican, some eight years Levi’s senior, ironically achieved his own pyrotechnical 117 - dismissed, mind - against South Africa, in the inaugural ICC World Twenty20 on our shores in September 2007.

Comparisons are interesting: Gayle used up 57 deliveries in total at the Wanderers, six more than Levi did, and 88 of his runs came in boundaries to the Cape Cobras favourite’s quite amazing 98 (13 sixes and five fours). Gayle’s strike rate was 205; Levi’s 229.

Rather demoralisingly for Gayle at the time, presumably, his epic innings wasn’t enough as the Proteas still roared over the line against West Indies by eight wickets - at least in Hamilton Levi was the match-winner by a mile.

Encouragingly from Levi’s perspective, perhaps, Gayle’s performance came in just his fourth T20 innings for West Indies, yet he has stayed one of the hottest properties in the code since, albeit that the lion’s share of his involvement more recently has been as a hired gun for various franchises worldwide.

Fortunately, too, Levi has already served a couple of educative, “difficult” years as a cricket professional generally, and come out of the relative darkness commendably unscathed: he had once been touted with almost unreasonable gusto by some critics when he was a SA under-19 batsman and once out of age-group level found the going tough at times.

So it is unlikely that he will make the mistake of letting Sunday’s sublime showing give him a swollen head - he came across as pleasant and measured in his immediate post-match television interview, which was gratifying to see.

Some credit must go, I believe, to Gary Kirsten and company for the gradual nature of his filtering into the international environment: selected for the SA squad for the pair of T20 games against Australia earlier in the season, he didn’t see immediate service but would have learnt much just being “in the room” for a while.

Especially in a post-Gibbs era for the Proteas, South African fans have every right to feel excited about this hard-hitting new boy on the top-order block.

Just don’t expect three figures to be raised off 45 balls by Richard Levi every day. With a bit of luck, he won’t be spooked by that not happening, either ...

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Third T20 is about to start. Decider and all eyes will be on this man.
Sport24
Levi keeps feet on ground

2012-02-21 19:15
Email | Print

4f097e2b12394b10a6f6aa27d7fba734.jpg

Richard Levi (Gallo)

Cape Town - The Proteas’ new-kid on the block, Richard Levi, is focused and prepared ahead of the crunch series-decider against New Zealand at Eden Park on Wednesday.

It has been two days since Levi’s record-breaking innings of 117 runs off 52 balls including 13 sixes, and captain AB de Villiers believes the teams will be starting from scratch in preparation for the series triumph.

“I don’t want him to calm down, I want him to stay exactly the way he is,” joked De Villiers, when asked whether Levi had recovered from Sunday.

“He played an amazing knock, he is a humble guy, he is down to earth and I’m pretty sure that he will find his feet tomorrow and start from zero again. It's 1-1, everything is starting over and hopefully we have a good game again on Wednesday.”

Everything may be starting all over for the Proteas, but for Levi this series has sparked the start of a budding international career. There has been speculation about an Indian Premier League (IPL) contract, as well as a berth in the ODI squad, but for the former Wynberg Boys High School scholar, the mission remains the same.

“It hasn’t really sunk in for me,” commented Levi, who also looks up to the burly Australian batsman, Matthew Hayden. “I woke up after Sunday, went for a run, had breakfast and everything was normal so I’m still coming to terms with what has happened. The focus for me right now is to help the team to win the series and I hope that we can do that tomorrow.”

Levi attended a traditional cricketing school in Wynberg Boys High, the Alma Mater of Proteas all-rounder Jacques Kallis, and received the best cricket coaching at his disposal while growing up in Hout Bay.

He represented Western Province from Under-13 up until Under-19 level at the various Cricket South Africa (CSA) National Schools Weeks, and he further went to participate in the Under-19 World Cup in Sri Lanka in 2006 and was also selected to attend the CSA National Academy in 2008. The coaches throughout his career have been many, but only a few stand out.

“I have had a lot of coaching mentors throughout my career, Chris Ridley was my first official coach and he was instrumental in putting me in touch with Wynberg Boys High when I was in Standard five (Grade seven), he taught me about the etiquette and techniques of the game.

“Paul Revington, the current Ireland Hockey coach, Eric Levinson the Wynberg Boys High first team coach and Alison Johnson my Western Province coach from Under-13 to Under-19 also all had noticeable influences on my career.

“After school, Shukri Conrad and Richard Pybus played the supportive and guiding roles in my career especially when it came to getting to grips with the franchise game. Shukri was the first coach to put his neck on the line for me, he gave me my first taste of domestic cricket and gave me a chance when I was an unknown 16 year-old.

“Pybie has helped me more with moving my game forward, both mentally and technically and has given me the freedom to express myself and to play the type of game that I want to play.”

A lot of hard work has gone in to moulding the 24 year-old batsman. His success has not come from a record-breaking innings, but more from the willingness to learn and the hard work and determination to succeed.

The world sampled a taste of what Richard Ernst Levi can deliver and judging from his mindset, it is a spectacle that will hopefully be seen for many years to come.

Cant believe they dont keep him in NZ for the ODIs. He have just played a huge role helping the Cape Cobras won the local version in SA.

Cricket have a method of bring you quick back to earth when you think you are great. Cant wait to see him reacting after all the attention.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Whatta win in the end. Look like the Proteas have hand over the choke tag to the Black Caps while the All Blacks have gave it to the Springbokke. ;)

This series brought through de Lange and Levi for the CricketSpringbokke. That last over from de Lange was epic.

S

spooony

Levi might be another Afridi. 1 Great knock and nothing to write home about further

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Levi might be another Afridi. 1 Great knock and nothing to write home about further
Dont think so Boet. He was pretty good in our local 50 overs competition and won it for them with a fine more controlled knock in the final. I'll be watching him on sunday playing T20 for the Cobras vs the Dolphins.

Leading Batting Averages
1 D Elgar Kni 10 9 2 567 117 81.00 85.64 1 4
2 ND McKenzie Lio 9 8 2 455 108* 75.83 91.00 2 3
3 JL Ontong Cob 10 8 3 364 86 72.80 101.39 0 3
4 F du Plessis Ttn 10 10 2 544 120 68.00 91.27 2 2
5 D Smit Dol 10 6 1 323 109 64.60 80.34 1 2
6 AN Petersen Lio 7 7 1 336 145* 56.00 87.50 1 2
7 J-P Duminy Cob 8 6 2 221 59 55.25 71.98 0 3
8 RE Levi Cob 9 8 0 424 110 53.00 123.25 1 2

8th best average of 53 and the best strike rate in the competition.

The Final report
Supersport
Shah and Levi lead Cobras to victory
Cape-Cobras-Celebrating-111210G300.jpg

by Ken Borland 09 December 2011, 23:28
The Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras continue to rake in the trophies as Owais Shah and Richard Levi led them to a five-wicket victory in the 1-Day Cup final against the Chevrolet Warriors at Sahara Park Newlands in Cape Town on Friday.
Havinging won the SuperSport Series and the Standard Bank Pro20 last season, the Cobras have now added the domestic limited-overs trophy as coach Richard Pybus dominates domestic cricket like he did with the Titans.
Shah and Levi shared a third-wicket stand of 122 in 28.2 overs, driving the Cobras to their target of 243 with nine balls to spare, with Justin Ontong once again playing a great cameo in finishing the job.
It was stalwart seamer Charl Langeveldt who was once again the star with the ball for the Cobras, undermining the Warriors with wickets up front, in the middle of the innings and at the death to limit them to 242 for nine.
Levi, whose amazing strength on the leg side can also be a weakness, played with an admirably straight bat as he scored a tremendously mature 84 off 111 balls. He still scored most of his runs on the on-side, but his technique was impeccable and his focus unfailing.
What made Levi's effort even more impressive was that the Cobras were on the back foot on 40 for two with Graeme Smith and Jacques Kallis both back in the hut for seven.
The indefatigable Makhaya Ntini removed the national test captain, the left-hander pushing hard at a delivery that was angled across him, stand-in wicketkeeper Arno Jacobs taking a superb catch as he dived in front of the slips.
EMBARRASSING
Ntini's excellent catch, diving forward at short fine leg, had also done for Kallis, who flapped at a Rusty Theron bouncer that surprised him. That he ended up on his bum will be embarrassing for Kallis; that he was once again dismissed by a short-pitched delivery will be concerning for the great batsman.
But the next 170 balls were all about Levi and Shah.
Levi showed that he is not all leg-side bashing: It was a remarkably mature innings by the 23-year-old, whose intensity in the final, when everything is on the line, suggests he is destined to play international cricket.
Shah's 83 off 109 balls was an uncomplicated innings: the Englishman is not the most attractive of batsmen, but he is as dogged as the proverbial bulldog and for him, it is all about manipulating the ball for a single at every opportunity.
The Cobras were cruising, needing 82 runs off 14 overs, when the Warriors' second off-spinner, Simon Harmer, fresh from the universities' week, took two wickets in the 37th over to suddenly make the result no longer a foregone conclusion.
Levi played across a delivery that kept low and was trapped lbw, and JP Duminy (4), perhaps itching for action after a long wait in the changeroom, charged down the pitch and was stumped by Jacobs as Harmer fired the ball in and made it turn.
But in Shah and Ontong, the Cobras had two very experienced men at the crease and they all but settled the outcome with a stand of 52 off just 51 balls.
Ontong, who has been accused in the past of playing lovely cameos without winning matches, played the role of the experienced finisher to perfection, finishing with 37 not out off 28 balls, with a pair of fours and sixes.
Even the loss of Shah, to the loosest stroke of his innings as he hoicked Theron over the covers to the dashing Ashwell Prince, did not matter as the Cobras could then call on the considerable finishing skills of Mark Boucher, who made up for the messiness of his wicketkeeping with 16 not out off 13 balls.
Prince and Johan Botha had been the only batsmen to defy a slick Cape Cobras bowling outfit that was led by Langeveldt and hunted as a pack as the Chevrolet Warriors struggled to 242 for nine.
Langeveldt produced a fantastic performance to take five for 45, showing that his skills are undiminished and becoming the leading wicket-taker in this year's competition.
The Cobras had won the toss and sent the Warriors in to bat, with Langeveldt giving captain Justin Kemp just the start he wanted with two wickets in the eighth over.
Jacobs was trapped lbw for 19 by a fine delivery that swung back into the left-hander, but there was no justice in the dismissal, two balls later, of Warriors captain and key batsman Colin Ingram for a duck.
Langeveldt jagged a delivery back into the left-hander, the ball coming off the top of the pad and going to wicketkeeper Boucher. Umpire Adrian Holdstock hesitated, and then gave the batsman out caught behind.
From the Cobras' point of view, they were not the wickets they probably expected to get first as opening batsman Jon-Jon Smuts had led a charmed life in scoring 11 off 25 balls. He was eventually dismissed by Dale Steyn, edging a back-foot swish to Boucher.
RESCUE EFFORT
But Prince, as ever, read the situation, and a pitch that gave the bowlers more assistance than expected, well. He began in typically measured, careful fashion, producing yet another rescue effort to quiet those who are advocating his omission from the national team.
Justin Kreusch (23) was his initial co-worker in stabilising the Warriors innings as they added 47 for the fourth wicket, before going after Steyn, only for the fast bowler to snatch a remarkable caught-and-bowled effort out of the sky.
It was the fifth-wicket stand of 87 off 102 balls between Prince and Botha that was the core of the innings, helped by some pretty motley fielding by the Cobras.
Prince, so mentally strong, kept the scoreboard ticking without taking risks, while Botha was able to find places to score so the run-rate grew steadily.
Their vital partnership lasted till the 38th over – the third of the batting powerplay – when Prince tried to clear mid-off in the ring, failed and ensured Langeveldt had made the breakthrough the other Cobras bowlers had struggled to make.
Prince's 63 came off 87 balls, with six fours, and was an admirably determined effort.
The loss of Botha 14 balls later meant the Warriors were back in trouble on 178 for six in the 41st over.
Botha tried to whip a Kallis slower ball on the on-side, but Smith quickly lept and stuck up his right hand to parry the ball and complete the catch.
Botha's 48 off 61 balls was a typically tenacious effort from one of the most reliable cricketers in South Africa.
The Cobras tightened up in the field in the closing overs – they were not helped by wicketkeeper Boucher not being on top of his game – and, with Langeveldt producing another top-class display of death bowling, there was no late flurry from the Warriors tail.
Wayne Parnell scored a bright 29 off 27 balls to once again show his talent as a batsman, before both he and Harmer (10) fell to Langeveldt in successive deliveries in the final over.
Theron hit a four and Ntini struck his only ball for six to give the innings a late, late boost but the Warriors were still left with a moderate total.
Steyn took two for 58 to support Langeveldt and showed enough pace and fire to put some wind up the Sri Lankans, while Kallis, Kemp and left-arm spinner Robin Peterson all bowled tightly to restrict the Warriors batsmen.
Off-spinner Duminy was most unfortunate not to claim a wicket or two, Boucher's missed stumping when Prince had 24 being the most glaring fielding error.
TEAMS
Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras - Graeme Smith, Richard Levi, Jacques Kallis, JP Duminy, Owais Shah, Justin Ontong, Justin Kemp, Mark Boucher, Robin Peterson, Dale Steyn, Charl Langeveldt.
Chevrolet Warriors - Jon-Jon Smuts, Arno Jacobs, Colin Ingram, Ashwell Prince, Justin Kreusch, Johan Botha, Craig Thyssen, Wayne Parnell, Simon Harmer, Juan Theron, Makhaya Ntini.

S

spooony

Dont think so Boet. He was pretty good in our local 50 overs competition and won it for them with a fine more controlled knock in the final. I'll be watching him on sunday playing T20 for the Cobras vs the Dolphins.

Leading Batting Averages
1 D Elgar Kni 10 9 2 567 117 81.00 85.64 1 4
2 ND McKenzie Lio 9 8 2 455 108* 75.83 91.00 2 3
3 JL Ontong Cob 10 8 3 364 86 72.80 101.39 0 3
4 F du Plessis Ttn 10 10 2 544 120 68.00 91.27 2 2
5 D Smit Dol 10 6 1 323 109 64.60 80.34 1 2
6 AN Petersen Lio 7 7 1 336 145* 56.00 87.50 1 2
7 J-P Duminy Cob 8 6 2 221 59 55.25 71.98 0 3
8 RE Levi Cob 9 8 0 424 110 53.00 123.25 1 2

8th best average of 53 and the best strike rate in the competition.

The Final report
Supersport
That is with domestic cricket. I am talking about international cricket where batsmen get rated in the end. He might be another Lance or a Afridi only time will tell. I hope it is the first one. But he is already 24 years old and got a domestic avg of just over 30. Just hope he can mature into a Smith replacement

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
So we take the first One Dayer with ease. The Brutes AB de Villiers and Faf played some usefull knocks. NZ cricket havent learn not to have cow corners in cricket Stadia. Also a congrats to our Hokkie Bokkies who qualified for the Olympics. Putting away India in India in the final. Hopefull our Hokkie Stokkies can do the same thing.

Had a difficult saturday. Switching between the cricket and rugby iso chopping a tree in the garden and switching between the hockey and the Stormers match.

S

spooony

Yeah Pietie Coetzee is a scoring machine. She's like the Ronaldo of Hokkie banging them in whenever she plays. I like to know how many she knocked in her career already. Good to see our hockey team is improving after the politics that it went thru. The netball is still shit after politics got hold of it and it never recovered

S

spooony

Yes we are beating the NZ haha :)
Wish it was with rugby though

S

spooony

de Lange bowls South Africa to 3-0 win

South Africa 208 for 5 (Amla 76, Morkel 41) beat New Zealand 206 (McCullum 47, de Lange 4-46) by five wickets
South Africa rested their bowler of the series and three injured batsmen, promoted a tailender to the top of the order, and had their big-hitting allrounder at No.3, but New Zealand still could not prevent a heavy five-wicket loss and a whitewash in a series that rarely had the visitors extended. Marchant de Lange had broken loose over a brittle New Zealand middle order to set up the emphatic victory - his 4 for 46 helping to dismiss the hosts for a paltry 206 after Dale Steyn and Lonwabo Tsotsobe had built an impressive dam of pressure with the new ball. Hashim Amla made another pleasing half-century to lead South Africa's reply, which achieved the target in the 44th over.
Thake that kiwi's. Get some face back

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
De Lange is an impressive debutant. Just do it by raw pace and bounce. Will be interesting and difficult to pick our quicks for the test series. Tahir will be a secret weapon on NZ pitches.

NZ Test squad:
New Zealand:
Ross Taylor (captain), Brent Arnel, Trent Boult, Doug Bracewell, Andrew Ellis, Martin Guptill, Chris Martin, Brendon McCullum, Rob Nicol, Tim Southee, Daniel Vettori, BJ Watling, Kane Williamson
Proteas’ Test squad:

Graeme Smith (Cape Cobras, captain), AB de Villiers (Titans, vice-captain), Hashim Amla (Dolphins), Mark Boucher (Cape Cobras), Marchant de Lange (Titans), JP Duminy (Cape Cobras), Imran Tahir (Dolphins), Jacques Kallis (Cape Cobras), Morne Morkel (Titans), Alviro Petersen (Highveld Lions), Robin Peterson (Cape Cobras), Vernon Philander (Cape Cobras), Jacques Rudolph (Titans), Dale Steyn (Cape Cobras), Lonwabo Tsotsobe (Warriors)
First test starts wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.