• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #1 - AUS v NZL, ANZ Stadium, Sydney, August 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Presumably a fresh squad announcement will be made at some point. Is there any idea as to when?

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
the AB breakdown strategy i a little frustrating. Absolute minimum nubers go into a breakdown allows a team like the boks an easy ride and they can flood the breakdown and get numerous turnovers as we saw last night.

Our approach relies on the breakdown being policed correctly. the french refs like to allow the team with momentum as the legal side and we didnt change our strategy to counter this.

it's a big concern going into the RWC.

Yeah, we won and the bokke threw the kitchen sink at us as well as the braai. the uncontested scrums gave us the match in my opinion.

we won but it wasn't pretty but let's not forget that any win at ellis park needs to be savoured.

Oh well, thats the toughest game out of the way.
This quote is lifted from DA Grubster in the AB vs BOK match thread.
Tactically we saw the Wallabies play with a heap of width in Mendoza right from the kick off. As a gameplan, I have my doubts that it has been effective. It looks good but the AB's are too wise not to have something ready to counter it.
I think we will need to start more traditionally with some tighter plays / straighter running / field position. Composed rugby that generates pressure on the AB's.
This is where I run out of ideas. The AB's have a good lineout, good scrum, strong defense and are tactically astute; creating stress or putting pressure on them means some ultra precise execution of a very shrewd gameplan.
Attacking through the wide channels looks difficult with Conrad Smith organising the defense. Probably need to attack the inside channels around their 10.
Who's got the silver bullet ?

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Further thought.
This is not a game to use as a stepping stone to the RWC. This game is a must win game which lays down a marker incase we have to play the AB's in the RWC (assuming France hasn't knocked them out).
Momentum is far more important here than tinkering with selections.
I expect the A team will definitely fill 1 - 15 for this match.
Having said that, I think the A team is starting to select itself.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
The few wins we have had over the AB's in the last several years have been built on the back of the forwards doing their best to knock the crap out of the AB pack. They are going to need to throw everything they have at them for a full 80 minutes because the second they let their guard down the bastards will pounce. Bash'em into submission I say, it seems to be the only thing that earns their respect.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
They are hard to bash because they are so damn clever and skilled. Attack their strengths might be a strategy for some of the game.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Further thought.
This is not a game to use as a stepping stone to the RWC. This game is a must win game which lays down a marker incase we have to play the AB's in the RWC (assuming France hasn't knocked them out).
Momentum is far more important here than tinkering with selections.
I expect the A team will definitely fill 1 - 15 for this match.
Having said that, I think the A team is starting to select itself.

Yeah, but I'd have a quid on it that my "A team" is not the same as your "A team" in any number of positions. So I don't agree that its starting to select itself.

Cheika is still between a rock and a hard place. He needs to win at least once in the two Bledisloe games or have two very narrow losses. But he also needs to find out what his best squad is before the RWC and that means trying people out in different positions. Some of those mightn't work. I don't envy his task.

Just a sample of his dilemma's:
  • Slipper is probably in the A team but on form you would not select him for the Bledisloes and you would have him in team rehab till the RWC. That means Sio and Smith for LHP. But, can either of them handle Franks?
  • Skelton was so-so in the first game and much better in the second. But NZ are a huge step up from Argentina. Does he continue with him starting or try him off the bench?
  • Horwill looked great off the bench but so did Mumm. Maybe if Hooper gets a holiday for the first game then both can be on the subs bench, but then Higgers is written off after one bad game where Cheika told him to play on the wing.
  • Neither Foley or Cooper covered themselves in glory at 10. Foley was marginally better but his opposition was weaker. Unless Cheika takes a left field option like To'omua, Gits or Lilo then he needs to trial both against NZ to see how they really go under pressure.
  • If To'omua fails the concussion test and Giteau doesn't recover from his sternum injury, Who goes to 12? Lilo?
  • Is Tomane better than Horne? Only way to find out is to play them and see. But does Speight get a trial in Bledisloe 2?
Better him than me solving these puzzles.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It's a real conundrum in certain positions. On the one hand we should try out a few combos but on the other we really need to win at least one of these games going into the RWC. I'd be picking QC (Quade Cooper) at 10 if To'omua is fit because they combine so well. I'd also be picking Skelton to start but have Horwill on the bench. Pick pretty much any two of the available wings, they all offer something and are wholehearted to boot.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think the left wing spot could come down to who is at 12 - if it's To'omua then Tomane could stay there, if it's Giteau then it will probably be Horne (to allow for the different defensive structure), but it could be Horne anyway. I think Speight only comes in to play at this stage if either AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Kuridrani are out as he can cover 13, otherwise we won't see him till the USA game.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Very very early but I will have a crack at starters

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Holmes
4. Simmo
% Skelton
6 Fardy
7. Pocock - DEFINITELY
8 McCalman
9 Phipps
10 Cooper ( Foley was poor)
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12 To'omua
13 K
14. Speigt (if available)
15 Usrael

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Like. The only changes I'd make are Sio in for Slipper. I'd be interested to see Mumm start at 6 if Fardy's ankle is buggered. I reckon To'omua might be in doubt too

T

Train Without a Station

To'omua is pretty critical. Neither Foley or Cooper have been great without a straight running option outside. Perhaps it's no connection but I personally think it limits their options.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
To'omua is pretty critical. Neither Foley or Cooper have been great without a straight running option outside. Perhaps it's no connection but I personally think it limits their options.
How many concussions has To'omua had over the last couple of years? I think it's at least 3 and possibly more. Had to miss a month last year. There must be some doubts about playing this week and longer term.

Poor guy, it's a terrible position to be in

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
How many concussions has To'omua had over the last couple of years? I think it's at least 3 and possibly more. Had to miss a month last year. There must be some doubts about playing this week and longer term.

Poor guy, it's a terrible position to be in
Agree. They can't play him for at least 2 weeks based on failed test Sat.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I know it's just going to be treated with hilarity, but with To'omua out, no other hard hitting 12 available, and a need for Pocock. Well Hooper to 12.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Very very early but I will have a crack at starters

1. Slipper Needs to spend the next month in rehab, not to play till USA. Sio
2. Moore Needs to hit moore rucks. TPN on if he doesn't
3. Holmes I think Kepu shades him overall, maybe test Holmes against NZ.
4. Simmo
5 Skelton Horwill to be given a start to see how he goes against the best.
6 Fardy Only if he's fit; if not, Higgers needs another chance.
7. Pocock Hooper is unlikely to escape the judiciary, if he does bench.
8 McCalman
9 Phipps
10 Cooper Last chance saloon. Foley to get a run in Bledisloe 2.
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) Needed for Savea/Piutau
12 To'omua At least another week to recover from concussion. Giteau
13 K
14. Speigt Not till Bledisloe 2 or USA. Horne to neutralise Savea/Piutau
15 Usrael

16. TPN
17. Smith
18. Kepu
19. Skelton on at 50 or earlier.
20. Higgers/Mumm
21. White. Needs to get 20 minutes
22. Beale.
23. Hooper if he gets off, otherwise Mitchell

If Kuridrani gets injured then Beale on to 15 and Folau to 13. Its a surprise move I'd like love to try out. If anyone else in the backline gets injured then Beale and White can cover with re-arrangement and if two get injured then Phipps will have to take a wing.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
I expect Shag has had this game marked in the calendar for a fair while now, where he'll play pretty close to the strongest team he's got available and if the AB's pull off a win, have the return NZ match as the last chance saloon game for the fringe players to book their tickets to the WC.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Here's my AB team, Crocket over Woodcock from a mobility point. I've assumed Retalick and Nonu are fit, if not Romano and Fekotoa. Dagg at full back as I think Shag will give him one last shakeout, otherwise Piutau in and Smith slipping back to fullback.
1. Crockett
2. Coles
3. Franks
4. Whitelock
5. Retalick
6. Kaino
7. McCaw
8. Read
9. Smith
10. Carter
11. Savea
12. Nonu
13. Smith
14. Smith
15. Dagg

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
I can't see Quade starting this one, especially after his little outburst. If he does he really need To'omua outside him to unleash our full potential as a team - I didn't think Giteau complimented him at all.

Quade is a confidence player. If he can shift into top gear we'll be a damn good side. He looks stuck dragging in about third at the moment though.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
My team for Bledisloe 1:-

1. Sio
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Simo
5. Skelton
6. Fardy
7. Pocock
8. McCalman
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Horne
12. To'omua (Lilo if he's injured)
13. Kuridrani
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Slipper
18. Holmes
19. Horwill
20. Hooper / McMahon
21. White
22. Giteau
23. Mitchell

I think we should stick with the game plan Cheika is developing to play two no.7s for most of the second half. If Hooper is unavailable I think McMahon is a like for like replacement.

part of me is tempted to go with a 6/2 bench, removing Giteau and adding Palu. It's a bit risky but we need to take some risks if we are going to beat NZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.