• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #1 - AUS v NZL, ANZ Stadium, Sydney, August 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Onside but grabbing Pocock around the noggin. Didn't they just have a refs pow wow about that a couple of months back?
He does it a lot.

Isn't that supposed to be a penalty or worse?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
My belated thoughts in Bledisloe #1. I watched the match live from behind the northern goalposts, it's been quite some time since I've watched a game end-on, it looks totally different. The 1st XV coach at my old school always watched games from that pozzy, now I understand why. Watched my (side-on) recording on Sunday.
  • There were many instances (about 12/15) when the ABs outnumbered us on the flanks. With a bit more polish on their finishes this could've resulted in a handful of tries scored against us. But, the cover defence from Oz was very, very good. There seemed to be a swarm of gold jumpers enveloping black ball carriers as they were herded to the sides. Giteau's cover defence was noticeable, and excellent. Well done to Grey here. But the initial fact the ABs got more players on the end of their backline so many times was a big concern; I hope TGC gets hold of a viewing from the rear to see how obvious it was and ensure it doesn't happen again.
  • Watching from behind it was easy to see Giteau's crabbing. It's not as bad as it's been in the past, but it's still there.
  • Also apparent from behind were the far too many wide passes which didn't get us anywhere. Kafer must've been channelling me when he commented the Wallabies hadn't earned the right to go wide.
  • The physicality at the breakdown was marvellous to watch. It's not often one sees McCaw and Read shown up at the coal-face. I suspect we're in for a ferocious reaction come Saturday, maybe the Pooper should be saved for the last 30 minutes.
  • How good was it to see the ABs penalised at the scrum? FINALLY, a ref's worked out Woodcock angles in. And I hope that plants a seed of suspicion about that other serial offender, Mako Vunipola. If the ARU put together a montage of overhead shots of our scrum with a bit of commentary it might make for interesting viewing by NH refs. Ledesma has to be given a lot of credit for ironing out our scrummaging kinks.
  • It wasn't noticeable to me from my spot how bad Phipps' passing was; that pain was evident in the side-on recording. Having watched Cheika's coaching at the Tahs these last three years I suspect Phipps' urgency to pass the ball with some speed comes from TGC's instructions: Cheika wants to play a fast, up-tempo game. If that's what the coach wants it's up to the intended recipients to get themselves into a position to catch the fast ball; the passes to no one were Foley's and/or Giteau's responsibility. But Phipps' passes to, not in front of, receivers needs addressing. My recording viewing showed many instances of AB interference at the back of ruck and maul which adversely affected the following pass. Something for Larkham to fix on the training paddock. Let's not forget here how many times Phipps has saved our bacon (in both blue and gold) with his excellent tackling the last few years.
  • Foley was badly off his game. Timid, indecisive, contributed bugger all. This isn't the Bernard we've seen recently, something must be wrong. I hope it's fixable.
  • Giteau's cover defence was excellent, not so his front-on defence. And there was one incident in the first half on our 22m line, about 3/4 across to the left touch line when he got hammered in possession by a much larger AB and spilled the pill. Didn't look good. I can only imagine what opposing coaches will do with their big boppers in a few weeks.
  • Mumm's outing was a pleasant surprise, reports from the Old Dart of his improvement were correct. Bugger me!
  • For all the bagging Phipps and Foley received live on the match thread, and considering how much possession and territory the ABs had early on, to be only 3-6 down at half time was a magnificent result. We couldn't've been playing that badly.
  • Skelton's cameo from the bench looks like the way forward. First time Will got the pill he made no metres, but there were four ABs hanging off him. This has gotta sap their energy and leave spaces elsewhere.
  • I sincerely hope TGC isn't tempted to start To'omua; his role as a "finisher", as Cheika's labelled them, is far too valuable.
Overall, quite a bit of improvement can be made by the Wallabies. To beat the ABs with that effort was a mighty achievement.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yes we can! It detracted from the game, which would have been much better without it.

We got over their side of the ruck as they got over ours, but the aimless wandering that got in Phipps way was, to my eyes, a NZ special.

Moore is a large gold-wrapped lump, so is Kepu, and if your eyes couldn't see them doing it too, there's always Specsavers!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The King of the breakdown. and SURPRISINGLY McCaw is onside :eek:

dzyqo2.jpg

And attacking Pocock's head. No longer allowed in mauls - should be the same in rucks.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
  • Also apparent from behind were the far too many wide passes which didn't get us anywhere. Kafer must've been channelling me when he commented the Wallabies hadn't earned the right to go wide.
I wonder if there is a new age philosophy at work. That is, make the opposition run their legs off early in order to get to the wide breakdowns. As a strategy, it may not have immediate observable outcomes but tiring forwards become vulnerable later.
Combine this concept with both increased fitness of the Wallabies and an uptick of attacking flair late in the game with the likes of Beale and To'omua coming off the bench, and we can infer that the wide passes early in a game may not be designed to generate "go forward". Chess-like, the game plan is an 80 minute tactical formula.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Just watched a replay of the game again after watching live on Saturday.

What observed that did not notice so much during the game was AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) coming of his wing in making some telling tackles in midfield to close attacking raids down a couple of times at key moments. What reminded me is similar with his ability to have a knack of knowing where to be in right place right time on attack which has led to so many tries, equally he offers a lot of great defensive nouse to know when to come in and make some telling tackles to close down attacking raids. Just the complete footballer which is why he has been one of Australia's top players for many years. Suggestions he would be rested for Bledisloe is fanciful as he is a critical player we need on the field to have any chance of winning the Cup.

While watching the replay again showed as many highlighted that Giteau's defensive skills were impressive to see it was also his ability to be in right place defensively to clean up many loose balls that was also telling, as was his ability to continue to push probing passes to push the wallabies forward when Foley was on....which unfortunately Foley was not really doing....

Just reiterates what great footballers and tactically aware AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Giteau are in their awareness of what is going on the football field and ability to make the right decisions/moves which comes with their experience and great footballing brains.

Status
Not open for further replies.