• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 1 - Saturday 18 August 2018 - ANZ Stadium, Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Which perfectly illustrates my point that lineouts are far too complex to be determined by one player only. In what world would a single player of the likes of Coleman or Simmons have the overall vision of the game and the responsibility for deciding which form of lineout would be appropriate in any of the multitude of situations that occur in a game. The decision is one that must be taken by the person with authority to make decisions in the game, ie the captain, with the role of the Coleman/Simmons etc lineout operator simply one to nominate the catcher. Lineout calling is yesterday's tactic and not at all suitable for today's complex game.
Our captain is at Outside Centre for 90% of lineouts we run. I imagine he'd be pretty happy to delegate these descisions to someone who can give their full attention to them

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This game seemed to show that both lineout calling is not a simple thing but also that it would have been hard to do it any worse than we did on Saturday night.

Clearly will be a massive focus this week.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Still a fantasy, these guy are punished far quicker for any errors than the "olden days".

It's a different game, so it's not really fair comparison.

There's no doubt that the guys in the amateur era had greater instinctive awareness IMO. They also perfected their skills in a far less structured environment and certainly the catch/pass was more flowing.

On the other hand, in the amateur days all 8 forwards were in every ruck and maul so the backs today are faced with a different environment. I would add that they've generally acquired their skills in a more structured/repetitive way where often skills or parts of skills are learnt in isolation so I think in many cases the execution is far less instinctive/intuitive.

Defence is obviously far more organised and structured, which gives backs far less opportunity to run in space.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I still can't get over reid coming around the maul and tackling Latu offisde and payper Said he was through the middle. Fuck knows what he was watching. This was a huge turning point. We had a good shot at a try then and it would of made it a close game again. Instead all blacks score at the other end 1 min later. We had a good line break it it was called back for a forward pass that was miles backwards from Izzy to korebeti. This was another big turning point and a really bad call. And when retalic slowed our ball down offside when we had a good line break and then he scored at the other end looking like a hero.

There were about 4 times we looked like scoring and the all blacks cheated and then Scored at the other end.
Oh. but our line out sucked. That's why we lost.

Has naholo had an off field yellow yet ? Citing? Above the horazontle and not bringing a player down safely is a yellow card. No if buts about it

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Our captain is at Outside Centre for 90% of lineouts we run. I imagine he'd be pretty happy to delegate these descisions to someone who can give their full attention to them

And jumped at 2 for defensive line outs. Surely you put your third jumper there if not a lock.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Still a fantasy, these guy are punished far quicker for any errors than the "olden days".

Which flyhalf can pass from each hand? Cooper - but he hasn't played in 12 months. Which 9 can pass off the ground with speed and accuracy and still be an effective runner of the ball? Can Folau kick effectively? I think it is a fantasy that you believe there has been any substantial improvement in the execution of basic skills.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Which flyhalf can pass from each hand? Cooper - but he hasn't played in 12 months. Which 9 can pass off the ground with speed and accuracy and still be an effective runner of the ball? Can Folau kick effectively? I think it is a fantasy that you believe there has been any substantial improvement in the execution of basic skills.

In sequence, Foley can pass from each hand, Genia can pass from the ground and run. Folau? He isn't the first running 15 in the world.

Which locks and front rowers could catch and pass 20 years ago?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Oi! Pocock! HTF are we kiwis meant to hate on you when you go doing this shit?

IMG_0826.JPG

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...to-the-aid-of-concussed-all-black-ryan-crotty

Class human being, that bloke. Pretty good footy player, too.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
In sequence, Foley can pass from each hand, Genia can pass from the ground and run. Folau? He isn't the first running 15 in the world.
Which locks and front rowers could catch and pass 20 years ago?
Pffft. None of them can execute well under no pressure. Under intense pressure it turns to shit.

Folau is the only 15 with zero effective kicking game at test level.

As for your question, 20 years ago, passing locks like John Eales,, Garrick Morgan, David Giffen - front rowers, Australia has produce some very good ball playing props who had a reasonable short passing game equivalent at least to what the current blokes do and especially hookers, Tony Daley, Crowley, Glen Panaho, Kearns, Foley and others.

Reactions: dru

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Big mistake to play any player, let alone a consistently poor (at test level) performer out of position. I agree that Tui didn't front up in Bledisloe 1 as we'd hoped he would. I will again put forward an unpopular name to take the No 6 spot in the remaining tests. Gus Cottrell. A true No 6/8 who has the abrasiveness to take on the best. He is a good jumper at No 2, and his workload around the ground is impressive.

A back row of Cottrell, Pocock, Timu with Samu on the bench looks a hell of a lot better than any we've gone with over the past three years. Will only get stronger with the return of Dempsey and McMahon in the future, and the emergence of Naisarani and Valetini.

My comments were made with the limitations of the current squad in mind. He wouldn’t be my first choice but I’m not sure there’s a better solution on tour if we persist with the dwarf 7/8 combo.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Big mistake to play any player, let alone a consistently poor (at test level) performer out of position. I agree that Tui didn't front up in Bledisloe 1 as we'd hoped he would. I will again put forward an unpopular name to take the No 6 spot in the remaining tests. Gus Cottrell. A true No 6/8 who has the abrasiveness to take on the best. He is a good jumper at No 2, and his workload around the ground is impressive.

A back row of Cottrell, Pocock, Timu with Samu on the bench looks a hell of a lot better than any we've gone with over the past three years. Will only get stronger with the return of Dempsey and McMahon in the future, and the emergence of Naisarani and Valetini.
Sorry br but Cottrel at best solid super rugby player but not test standard.

I think you would be the only one pushing for cottrel as he is so not on the wallaby radar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I also noted Rob Simmons and a couple of others seek out Whitelock to congrat him on his 100thchatting on field test ( very good), and was also pleased to see Whitelock seemingly doing the same with Folau under the stand where he went and shook his hand before he left for the hospital. just little sideline things I noticed that make me glad I follow this game. And that includes seeing Hooper/Perenara, Pocock /Cane etc etc chatting on field after the the presentations!
If this is true https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...ow-for-100th-cap-honour-its-worthy-of-respect, I am personally disappointed, and have to maybe take back some of the kudos I was giving the Wallabies!! Seems a number of Wallabies didn't want to recognise Whitelock's milestone, I know I saw a few like Hooper, Pocock, Genia,Samu and Simmons were still there, but ........

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If this is true https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...ow-for-100th-cap-honour-its-worthy-of-respect, I am personally disappointed, and have to maybe take back some of the kudos I was giving the Wallabies!! Seems a number of Wallabies didn't want to recognise Whitelock's milestone, I know I saw a few like Hooper, Pocock, Genia,Samu and Simmons were still there, but ....
If what's not true?

They just got fucking belted. I'd be out of there as well. Should 1-15 have lined up to kiss his fucking toes?

Sick of the reverence the ABs demand.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
If what's not true?

They just got fucking belted. I'd be out of there as well. Should 1-15 have lined up to kiss his fucking toes?

Sick of the reverence the ABs demand.

It's not reverence, have you not seen tests where ABs have actually not only stayed on field to recognise the feat of Australian player getting his 100th test, but actually made presentations to them? I not suggesting going over top, and I probably old fashioned, but nothing wrong with recognising an opponents milestones! It an old rugby tradition!

Status
Not open for further replies.