• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 at Eden Park 18/10/20

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
With Auckland due to be re-admitted to NZ as of midnight Wednesday, Bledisloe 2 will be at Eden Park* as planned.

* Edit: multiple news outlets reporting that it's set to become ASB Stadium as early as tomorrow.

Reactions: TSR

Highkicks

Herbert Moran (7)
Based on the first test Clarke and Sotutu should be starting in place of McKenzie (with McNuggets at fullback) and Frizell.

I think the AB's will have a lot more upside with selections than us. McKenzie had a bit of a shocker and Clarke looked very good. We might really be able to give it them in the forwards though.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I’d be taking a punt on Lolesio at 12. He’s played there plenty and To'omua kicks crucial possession away too much in test matches. With Harrison coming through it’s where he could well end up.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
KOB, Noah certainly played 12 to Harrison at 10 in the U20s, but since has established himself as the No 1 prospect for the 10 spot. It might change in future, but more chance based on what we've seen of them so far that Noah will remain at 10.

On the question of 12, I would be much happier with Simone being given the spot if MT relinquishes it. He has more experience and at higher playing levels than Noah, and brings a great package of skills to the spot. But if MT was simply following coaches orders, hard to see him removed.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Harrison finished the season strong, I think he may have the best kicking game out of all the 10's in Aus.
Lolesio the more dynamic runner, but also a solid kicking game. I would prefer to see them both battling out the 10 jersey for years to come.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think there were at least 2 turnovers direct from To'omua’s defence, plus he made a number of other excellent tackles, both front on and cover.

He made some good kicks and bad kicks. Sure - let’s try and reign in the bad ones, but I’d be surprised if Rennie wasn’t happy with him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah, I can't see any way To'omua gets dropped after one test.

He'll just be told to reign in the kicking. Apart from that he had a pretty good game.

No doubt part of the reason we couldn't turn our big possession and territory advantage into more points is we didn't give ourselves a chance when we were hot on attack and instead kicked the ball away.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
How many times did he actually kick it in attack? I remember 4 - 2 good & 2 bad. 1 of those a shocker when he rolled it into the ingoal when we were hard in attack. The other one was under penalty advantage and he had the winger pinned and isolated in the corner but he needed to give it a lot more height so the chasers could contest. I actually think the kick itself was a decent option but it was poorly executed.

Highkicks

Herbert Moran (7)
How many times did he actually kick it in attack? I remember 4 - 2 good & 2 bad. 1 of those a shocker when he rolled it into the ingoal when we were hard in attack. The other one was under penalty advantage and he had the winger pinned and isolated in the corner but he needed to give it a lot more height so the chasers could contest. I actually think the kick itself was a decent option but it was poorly executed.

He kicked it away 3 times in the first 30 while on attack, none of which were good. He just gifted them the ball, on every occasion there were better options, we had overlaps, were up against a broken defensive line and building pressure. No one else was aware he was kicking until he did. Obviously we see things differently but for me this is worse than 3 knock ons, these were very poorly executed and poorly thought through decisions that had a huge impact.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I thought all four were bad. I'd need to re-watch but I thought the other two both resulted in lost possession and a NZ clearance.

Under penalty advantage a contestable cross field kick was certainly an option so I'll give him the benefit that a kick then was actually a solid option just very poorly executed.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Wallabies should keep the same team - they went well - let them build on their combinations.

ABs should have a completely different backline - Beaudy should start, Clarke should start, Jordie should be fullback, ALB centre as well as starting Sotutu. Will they? I highly doubt it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hunter was great, but I'd have a fit Petaia back in that team in a flash.

Happily give Uelese a start too, which is not something I thought I would rush to say

You'd think Petaia starts and Paisami would replace Lolesio on the bench.

I was surprised Fainga'a stayed on the field so long. I'd have dragged him sooner and would probably also replace him next week. Given Rennie left him on until the 60th minute I wouldn't be surprised to see him persisted with.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

I was surprised Fainga'a stayed on the field so long. I'd have dragged him sooner and would probably also replace him next week. Given Rennie left him on until the 60th minute I wouldn't be surprised to see him persisted with.

I'm happy for FF (Folau Fainga'a) to get another crack but would be good to see Uelese on with 30+ to go.

Petaia to start if he's fit. Don't know what we do with DHP. I like Hodge at 23.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Completely agree.

I expect the team selections to stay pretty solid. I’d swap hookers by rotating the front row myself but not concerned when it doesn’t happen. If we have another line out shocker I’ll get more indignant. Would have swapped Phillip and Simmo but Phillip’s stats say otherwise, strongly. So all in all no real changes in the pack.

Th conundrum for me is Lolesio, if he is considered not up to the melee when the going gets tough then leave him out of the 23 for now. Start him later. Probably Petaia in to 22 and Paisami stays at 13.

Of course I would have Tate as one of the 9s, at 21 I guess.

Training:
Line out
Ruck consistency
Line Out
Add some more back line/set plays
Line out
Kicking

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Thread title needs a redo:

"For the next seven days, Eden Park will be known as 'Coopers Catch Park' after ASB Bank gifted the stadium naming rights to the Kaikōura-based fish and chip shop ahead of Sunday's Bledisloe Cup test in Auckland."

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/spor...eceives-naming-rights-for-eden-park-test.html

IMG_1051.JPG

Reactions: dru