• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #2 - AUS v NZL, Eden Park, Auckland, August 15th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
5:35 kick off AEST.

Does the Eden Park Hoodoo exist or is it just a figment of our imagination that has been dreamed up by a Sports Sub-Editor?

Can we do it? This will be our best chance for several years, but never underestimate the Kiwi under pressure. The NZ media and commentariat will all have a view as to what went wrong at Homebush, and what they need to do to get the Universe back in order. They won't be backward in coming forward with their opinions. Even though they have their eyes set on the RWC target for later this year, The Lords of Darkness will be under extreme pressure to win.

When was the last back to back defeat for the NZ Rugby team?
August 2011 v SAF 5-18, v AUS 20-25.

July/August 2009 v SAF 19-28, v SAF 19-31

July 2008 v SAF 28-30, v AUS 19-34

August 2004 v AUS 18-23, v SAF 26-40

Doesn't happen often.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^
whitlam_131011_getty.JPG

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
1. Sio
2. Moore (C)
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Horwill
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Pocock
9. Phipps
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. Speight
15. Folau

16. Hanson
17. Slipper
18. Holmes
19. Mumm
20. Palu
21. White
22. Giteau
23. Beale/Tomane

We know AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is up to it, so I'd rest him. Hanson, Speight and Palu need a run.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
In my opinion, the 23 for next week should be:

1. Sio
2. Moore (c)
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Horwill
6. Fardy
7. Pooper
8. Pooper
9. White
10. To'omua
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. Giteau
13. Kuridrani
14. Mitchell
15. Folau

16. Slipper
17. TPN
18. Holmes
19. Skelton
20. McCalman
21. Phipps
22. Cooper / Lealifano
23. Beale

My reasons?

Horwill had another strong game in Gold. A lot of heart and a lot of hard work. I haven't been the biggest fan over the last few years, but he's showing me up so far this international season. If he can continue to put in performances like he did last night, there may be a place in my heart for him once again. Here's to hoping he doesn't get red carded for something stupid.

Simmons falls into the same category as above. I always thought he was a bit of a fluffy bunny as he doesn't have the power game I like to see in my locks, but his work rate was strong and we need his presence in the line out. Last night proved that.

Sio to remain starting. He really shores up the scrum and thats something thats essential going into the RWC. Also a good ball runner. Hopefully this season is the start of a very long career in the starting front row (Slipper is certainly no chum, but he's also not 100%. Besides, the way Cheika uses the bench, it shouldn't be considered demeaning to be moved there from the starting side. They are almost "2nd half players", not replacements).

The back row unchanged. Enough said. Long life the Pooper. May the Poopycock reign supreme for years to come.

White in for Phipps. Cheikas been renowned for rewarding form with selections. If he doesn't, what do fringe players have to motivate them to work hard? White had a great finish to the game, and thus he'll earn the starting gig. It also helps that Phipps had a pretty ordinary game.

To'omua in for Foley. Bernie didn't convince, he wasn't terrible though. To'omua straightened the attack and provided a bit of assertiveness and urgency. Not a fan of his hair-do but I guess its not really my place to comment on that. He is a barista after all.

11, 12, 13, 14, 15 unchanged. My only comments on that: Giteau showed last night why he has been selected, but also the levelling influence of an experienced campaigner.

Drew Mitchell didn't have the greatest game - didn't have a bad one either. Was tested with several bombs and came out alright, had a few good runs and defended well. Did everything he was required to. His experience gets him over the line there for mine.

As for the bench, Skelton to stay there. I believe he's probably best suited to that role. Any two of Cooper, Lealifano and Beale to get a bit of time in the last 30 to continue to test combinations and individuals going into the RWC. Obviously next week is a big game with the Bledisloe on the line, but its important to keep the main goal within sight: to build a strong platform and a strong squad that will lead us to success in the next few years. Whether this is a RWC win or a Bledisloe win is not so important.

I really like how Cheika's utilising the bench, testing different combinations whilst keeping the core of the side there week in week out. He's got the boys to buy into the team and the culture, and got them playing for something more than themselves. They seem confident, but not overly so, and bloody determined.

This will be another incredible game.

Wallabies by 6.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
1-8. No change unless Simmons is back, Mumm to drop out
9. White
10. To'omua
11-15. No change.

16-20. No change.
21. Phipps
22. Cooper
23. Tomane

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
(1-15): Sio, Moore, Kepu, Horwill, Simmons, Fardy, Hooper, Pocock, Phipps, Cooper, Speight, To'omua, Kuridrani, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Folau. Reserves: TPN, Slipper, Holmes, Skelton, Palu, White, Beale, Tomane.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
1-8. No change unless Simmons is back, Mumm to drop out
9. White
10. To'omua
11-15. No change.

16-20. No change.
21. Phipps
22. Cooper
23. Tomane

I think that's pretty right. I think Phipps deserves another chance, so I'd swap the halves from your selections.

Not sure if Mitchell did enough, but also possibly deserves another chance.

Cooper/Beale is a toss of the coin.

Forwards were awesome, completely agree leave them as is.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That would be awesome - sydney, Auckland and London

NZ v Aus would be the dream GF but to set it up you'll need to lose to Ringinland in your Pool then beat Samoa or Scotland in your QF & Argentina, France or most likely Ireland in your SF. We meanwhile will need to knock over probably France in our QF (in Cardiff of all places) then England or the Bokke.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
meant to say, was that not some of the worst camera work we have seen in a long time, especially from a network that has done a lot of rugby, who the shit came up with bloody spider cam or whatever it was. It is ok it very small amounts, but they certainly rammed it down our throats last night!

Reactions: ACR

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I was watching the channel 10 broadcast on FTA, I thought they used the spidercam quite sparingly. Do we have a different feed from Foxtel?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
meant to say, was that not some of the worst camera work we have seen in a long time, especially from a network that has done a lot of rugby, who the shit came up with bloody spider cam or whatever it was. It is ok it very small amounts, but they certainly rammed it down our throats last night!

Other than the scrums it really didn't add anything viewing-wise IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.