• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 - Saturday 25th August 2018 - Eden Park, Auckland

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckbill

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'll be doing the same thing I did yesterday, playing golf. At least I can blame my poor play directly at myself...

Chieka will trot out the same game plan with slightly different players, and the Eden Park effect will mean a colossal thrashing...

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
rthgdfsavgdbhfnh.png

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
I'll be doing the same thing I did yesterday, playing golf. At least I can blame my poor play directly at myself.

Chieka will trot out the same game plan with slightly different players, and the Eden Park effect will mean a colossal thrashing.

I still need to learn how to play golf, so I'll be watching & waiting to see if you're right

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Positive thought time:

Line outs are one of the few things in Rugby that can be drastically improved in a week.
Imagine how different that game would be if we didn't cough up 7 line outs.
I think we'll put in a much better shift.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Positive thought time:

Line outs are one of the few things in Rugby that can be drastically improved in a week.
Imagine how different that game would be if we didn't cough up 7 line outs.
I think we'll put in a much better shift.

Wallabies post demolition last year and Waratahs post Blues loss this year both put in some of the best performances of a touring team in NZ for some time. Vaguely clinging to the hope they can do the same thing this week.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Its the wallabies Ill be watching.. was at a wedding last night everytime i snuck a view the kiwis scored.. I take full responsabilty for the lise. This week Ill watch from the start..Wallabies by 14.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
One of the obvious problems is we have no depth. I think most people agreed with the 23 chosen because there were not many viable alternatives. We need to get to the stage where every position has 2 quality options.

So we are pretty much stuck with a similar squad this week. Having said that I think Pocock should be captain and Hooper on the bench. Give Samu or Timu a start. Arnold should come in and give Banks a crack at fullback, nothing to lose now. Hopefully Sio and Thor back in as well.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Tupou and Sio back in for sure - Robertson back to bench option with Tupou. Ainsley out. Latter not test standard but very young prop so will improve so don't want to be too hard on him.

Arnold would like to see in the fold but not sure who to swap out for him. With lineout wobbles almost tempted to replace Samu with Hanigan. I have probably just not seen enough of Samu to probably understand his value a bit in there as well.

Banks to fullback and Maddocks replacing DHP at 14 with DHP back on the pine and we are ready to go.

Tough ask to win at Eden Park and long shot but I still reckon we have a chance (albeit rather microscopic chance) and that is based on what I saw in first half of last game from Wallabies, moreso in defence, attack is there but mental side with those last few passes chalk and cheese cf AB's who 9 times out of 10 make right decisions, WB's seem to get that to more 50/50 at best.

Mental side where WB's still behind AB's as skill wise with our best 23 not that far behind, Ok maybe would be good if had Damien McKenzie as reserve back rather than Matt To'omua!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It won't happen, but I'd be making wholesale changes in the forwards depending on availability and injury. But not the Pooper which I would keep.

I'd be tempted with BPA for a new throw. Rodda to bench and Simmo on. Coleman read the riot act. I'd look to Slipper in the 23 (bench) and drop Robertson. Hopefully Tupou is fit, HC calls bench or start.

Is there someone we can swap Tui out with? I'll even take Ned Hanigan. In the line out drop the strange decision to have Hooper defending at 2.

Steady hand at the tiller for the backs - leave as is bar whatever happens at 15.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Wallabies post demolition last year and Waratahs post Blues loss this year both put in some of the best performances of a touring team in NZ for some time. Vaguely clinging to the hope they can do the same thing this week.
Courageous loss as opposed to humiliating loss?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
This would be my side for Bledisloe 2 assuming Folau injured and Sio and Tupou back in the team. It is not Cheika's.

15. Hodge
14. Banks
13. Rona
12. To'omua
11. Maddocks
10. Beale
9. Genia

8. Timu
7. Pocock
6. Cottrell
5. Arnold
4. Coleman
3. Tupou
2. Fainga'a
1. Sio

16. BPA
17. Robertson
18. Ala'alatoa
19. Rodda
20. Samu
21. Powell
22. Foley
23. Petaia

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting that you chose Cottrell at 6. What are your thoughts there?

BTW your selections are different to mine but not much. I wouldn't be dropping Foley and would have started BPA, but I don't mind your list at all.

[Edit and i would keep Simmo.]

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

BTW your selections are different to mine but not much. I wouldn't be dropping Foley and would have started BPA, but I don't mind your list at all.

Saw reports that BPA hasn't travelled to NZ. Folau Faiinga has got a seat

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Tupou, BPA, and Fainga'a bring a real hunger and youthful exuberance. I can’t imagine them dropping their heads and falling off tackles. Tupou will obviously be in the side (assuming he’s fit) but I’d really like to see Fainga'a there not only because of his passion but also because he creates real threats in attacking with his silky hands.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Cottrell has had an excellent Super season, was awarded Forward of the Year for the Rebels iirc. He is very abrasive, lets the opposition know that he is there for blood either with tackling or with ball carries. He has a ton of pace for a No 6 - chased Naholo (I think) over 50 m and didn't lose ground when all the Rebels backs were burnt off by the speed of the chase. He is a very strong lineout option at No 2 and just an all round worthy opponent to get into the faces of the ABs (and others).

He also starred for the Super selection against the Wallabies last week.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Cottrell did play well for the super 15 team, but his not in the squad so his out.

Fainga'a just has something about him, and after coming back from the last wallabies camp, he really had a swag about him, good throwing good scrum, silky hands in tight for offloads, he loves to run a good line, and doesn't mind the hard stuff.

But first game in test rugby to start at Eden park is a big ask, I'd probably go TAF for the start with Fainga'a to run the bench spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.