• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 - Wallabies vs All Blacks, Wellington, 27 August 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
My dream overnight:

I am Michael Cheika. I am the head coach of the Wallabies’ national rugby union team which has just been trounced by the NZ All Blacks on our home soil. This comes on top of a three test clean sweep by the English against us back in June. I have to do something drastic about our team and the way it plays the game to reignite some fan attachment and to plan for the future of this great game in our country.

I have come to realise that I have to acknowledge some deficiencies in our current team and in the game plan I have devised for them. There are some players I have selected who have disappointed in their game execution, some who appear to not have the level of skills I attributed to them, and others who have tried valiantly over the years but have now gone beyond their use by dates. I accept that it is my error to have persisted with these players and I accept the responsibility now of doing what is necessary to fix those issues.

My first consideration has to be about the suitability of my assistant coaches. I am not shifting the responsibility for our poor performances onto those men, but I now realise that a game plan built on the attacking and defensive structures that have been put in place will never have us competing with the best, and I truly believe some new coaching blood is the starting point for making improvements.

Our attack has been very pedestrian and so far behind the gain line as to have been almost completely ineffectual. Looking at options for bringing in an attack assistant coach, I have decided to offer the job to Mike Cron from the Shute Shield Northern Suburbs club. His success in the Shute Shield this year illustrated his ability to institute an attacking game plan for his players.

In defense, I am now convinced that the era of sliding defences has passed us by. Teams who have had most success against us in recent times play a more confrontational, rush defense and I am belatedly wanting to bring that element to our game plan. I am confident that I can find a suitable exponent from the coaching ranks in our premier club competitions but am still looking at options.
Turning to the players, I admit that I was wrong to rely on players who had forsaken their obligations to our national team in favour of earning big bucks overseas. To that end, I will no longer be selecting these players unless and until they have signed with a Super Rugby franchise and the ARU. I will also be more demanding of them proving their worth over the talent playing in the country. I will, also, as far as is possible, select players who have the full range of skills required of the positions I want them for. Most importantly, I will now be making selection decisions with an eye to the future and especially the 2019 RWC. I will accept game losses, especially to those world beaters the All Blacks, while I develop and hone these new players into test worthy players, with the assistance of my newly appointed assistant coaches.

Immediately, I will replace players whose performance has been regularly underwhelming for the upcoming second test against NZ in Wellington. Quade Cooper, Samu Kerevi, Reece Hodge and Kellaway will come into the starting side for next week, as will James Slipper, TPN, Adam Coleman, Scott Fardy and Lopeti Timani. I will be bringing Tom Robertson, Rory Arnold (or Tom Staniforth), and McMahon onto the forwards bench, while Jonno Lance, and Henry Speight will be joining the bench to cover for the Backline.

The team makeup will be:

Folau, Kellaway, Kerevi, Hodge, DHP, Cooper, Genia, Timani, Pocock, Fardy, Coleman, Douglas, Kepu, TPN, Slipper, with Ready, Sio, Robertson, Arnold/Staniforth, McMahon, Phipps, Lance and Speight on the bench.

I lament the results we’ve achieved this year, but I am extremely confident that the young side I’ve brought into Saturday’s test will provide a sound basis for the re-emergence of the Wallabies as a world rugby power in the next year or two.

K

KAOPointman

My dream overnight:

I am Michael Cheika. I am the head coach of the Wallabies’ national rugby union team which has just been trounced by the NZ All Blacks on our home soil. This comes on top of a three test clean sweep by the English against us back in June. I have to do something drastic about our team and the way it plays the game to reignite some fan attachment and to plan for the future of this great game in our country.

I have come to realise that I have to acknowledge some deficiencies in our current team and in the game plan I have devised for them. There are some players I have selected who have disappointed in their game execution, some who appear to not have the level of skills I attributed to them, and others who have tried valiantly over the years but have now gone beyond their use by dates. I accept that it is my error to have persisted with these players and I accept the responsibility now of doing what is necessary to fix those issues.

My first consideration has to be about the suitability of my assistant coaches. I am not shifting the responsibility for our poor performances onto those men, but I now realise that a game plan built on the attacking and defensive structures that have been put in place will never have us competing with the best, and I truly believe some new coaching blood is the starting point for making improvements.

Our attack has been very pedestrian and so far behind the gain line as to have been almost completely ineffectual. Looking at options for bringing in an attack assistant coach, I have decided to offer the job to Mike Cron from the Shute Shield Northern Suburbs club. His success in the Shute Shield this year illustrated his ability to institute an attacking game plan for his players.

In defense, I am now convinced that the era of sliding defences has passed us by. Teams who have had most success against us in recent times play a more confrontational, rush defense and I am belatedly wanting to bring that element to our game plan. I am confident that I can find a suitable exponent from the coaching ranks in our premier club competitions but am still looking at options.
Turning to the players, I admit that I was wrong to rely on players who had forsaken their obligations to our national team in favour of earning big bucks overseas. To that end, I will no longer be selecting these players unless and until they have signed with a Super Rugby franchise and the ARU. I will also be more demanding of them proving their worth over the talent playing in the country. I will, also, as far as is possible, select players who have the full range of skills required of the positions I want them for. Most importantly, I will now be making selection decisions with an eye to the future and especially the 2019 RWC. I will accept game losses, especially to those world beaters the All Blacks, while I develop and hone these new players into test worthy players, with the assistance of my newly appointed assistant coaches.

Immediately, I will replace players whose performance has been regularly underwhelming for the upcoming second test against NZ in Wellington. Quade Cooper, Samu Kerevi, Reece Hodge and Kellaway will come into the starting side for next week, as will James Slipper, TPN, Adam Coleman, Scott Fardy and Lopeti Timani. I will be bringing Tom Robertson, Rory Arnold (or Tom Staniforth), and McMahon onto the forwards bench, while Jonno Lance, and Henry Speight will be joining the bench to cover for the Backline.

The team makeup will be:

Folau, Kellaway, Kerevi, Hodge, DHP, Cooper, Genia, Timani, Pocock, Fardy, Kepu, TPN, Slipper, with Ready, Sio, Robertson, Arnold/Staniforth, McMahon, Phipps, Lance and Speight on the bench.

I lament the results we’ve achieved this year, but I am extremely confident that the young side I’ve brought into Saturday’s test will provide a sound basis for the re-emergence of the Wallabies as a world rugby power in the next year or two.

Bar the Jono lance inclusion I agree above. I'm a long time supporter of Quade cooper and his style of rugby and think a team that's prepared to play around him do well more times then not. Genia looked very good in flashes and would be the killer pairing we need. Kerevi Folou and lopeti running off Quade would be a very dangerous combination.
As for our front row.....I think we have that pretty well sorted in multiple variations Arm.
We still need Pocock and Simmons in those key positions.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
First thing to do before you even look at the backs is fix the forwards.

Fix the aggression in the tackle, work off the ball which will be all about attitude. Maybe dropping the consistently soft players like Simmons and now Moore.

Fix the set-piece. Line-out is a huge liability. Team selection will take a part here. Say goodbye to the Pooper. Fardy needs to starts with 2 jumping locks and another option at 8.

Accuracy, aggression and tactics at the breakdown. I think 90% of our rucks we did not have clean ball. Slowed down NZ every time. And 90% of NZ's ball was clean ball. Huge difference in this area. Genia did well with messy ball all game.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Forward pack:

1. Slipper
2. TPN
3. Kepu
4. Coleman
5. Douglas
6. Fardy
7. Pocock
8. Timani maybe McCalman

Slipper is in better form then Sio.
TPN will add bite in the contact area and Moore needs a kick up the ass.
Kepu is the only option. Letting Holmes go early was a mistake.
Coleman here is the only other option but is still twice as aggressive as Simmons, Might even consider starting Mumm who wasn't that bad last night either.
Fardy is a must to fix the line-out. Plus he has more mongrel then McCalman, we know he is capable to play hard rugby just needs to fix his discipline.
Poey over Hooper. Hooper unlucky but will have a shit load of impact from the bench.
Timani because we need players who can make dominate tackles and McCalman works hard but can't do that. Needs to be 4th jumper in the line-out.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Bar the Jono lance inclusion I agree above. I'm a long time supporter of Quade cooper and his style of rugby and think a team that's prepared to play around him do well more times then not. Genia looked very good in flashes and would be the killer pairing we need. Kerevi Folou and lopeti running off Quade would be a very dangerous combination.
As for our front row...I think we have that pretty well sorted in multiple variations Arm.
We still need Pocock and Simmons in those key positions.

We do not need Simmons. England test 2 when we had no Simmons proved we do not need him for a good line-out.

In fact the line-out was worse when Simmons was on the field. Tonight he did nothing for the line-out either.

The theory that Simmons is key for our line-out is done-and-dusted. I think having 4 solid jumpers is more important.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The bigger tragedy is not the length of the original post, but the fact it was quoted in its entirety immediately beneath itself.

Bringing in players from outside the squad will achieve two things: "fuck" and "all" in that order.

From some of those selections, you'd just pick anyone who hasn't had the chance to fuck up and say that is good policy. Nup. These guys hadn't played together for weeks. They get a chance to redeem themselves.

Have a listen to Seb:

Accuracy, aggression and tactics at the breakdown.

That is what we need. Top two inches. No prisoners.

The best Wallaby victories have been when we refused to be bullied, and unfortunately that often only emerges when we're hurting deeply.

That issue arises because the systems we have are fairly poor, and incumbency is easy. After this series, I'd like to see The Giteau Rule largely ignored in favour of actually getting our shit together across the domestic scene.

Paul Cully's words today were accurate: no-one should be surprised the Wallabies couldn't cut it in the contact area, or skills wise, because every franchise had been playing that weak kind of rugby for months.

1 Slipper
2 Moore - last warning for captaincy. Improve or hand it over
3 Kepu
4 Douglas
5 Simmons
6 Fardy
7 Pocock
8 McCalman/Timani
9 Genia
10 Cooper
11 Mitchell
12 Kerevi
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14 DHP
15 Folau

16 TPN
17 Sio
18 Ala'alatoa (though I'd like Robertson to have a go, apparently the incumbent did alright)
19 Coleman
20 Timani/McMahon
21 Hooper
22 Phipps
23 Foley

K

KAOPointman

We do not need Simmons. England test 2 when we had no Simmons proved we do not need him for a good line-out.

In fact the line-out was worse when Simmons was on the field. Tonight he did nothing for the line-out either.

The theory that Simmons is key for our line-out is done-and-dusted. I think having 4 solid jumpers is more important.
Did you notice the line out only went well when Simmons called it to himself? The other throws looked to me like Moores issue.....the throw was awfully sloooow.
And I agree we neeed the extra line out options. But yeah we certainly don't NEED him there.....but continuity is a must......and he's been good for along time. We need to settle on our locks. It's been an ongoing search for ages now!

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Did you notice the line out only went well when Simmons called it to himself? The other throws looked to me like Moores issue...the throw was awfully sloooow.
And I agree we neeed the extra line out options. But yeah we certainly don't NEED him there...but continuity is a must..and he's been good for along time. We need to settle on our locks. It's been an ongoing search for ages now!

I can live with keeping him for continuity and not panicking with wholesale changes but I wouldn't mind seeing Coleman in action. Coleman and Arnold are the future.

I think if there is one change, and one change only that needs to be made it is going to be dropping the Pooper so we can have that extra jumper in the line-out.

Which means a backrow of Poey, Fardy, McCalman.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The all blacks only played a half of rugby last night.
Next time they will play a full 80 mins.

Oh god........please help

ABs to win by 60

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Forward pack:

1. Slipper
2. TPN
3. Kepu
4. Coleman
5. Douglas
6. Fardy
7. Pocock
8. Timani maybe McCalman

Coleman here is the only other option but is still twice as aggressive as Simmons, Might even consider starting Mumm who wasn't that bad last night either.
Fardy is a must to fix the line-out. Plus he has more mongrel then McCalman, we know he is capable to play hard rugby just needs to fix his discipline.
Poey over Hooper. Hooper unlucky but will have a shit load of impact from the bench.
Timani because we need players who can make dominate tackles and McCalman works hard but can't do that. Needs to be 4th jumper in the line-out.

I like it - agree with Timani over McCalman as latter just not test grade - and Timani has that more aggressive style of play and Hooper off the bench as impact player with Mcmahon as well would be winning combo of impact loose forwards from the bench.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
My team for this test:

1. Slipper (c)
  2. Hanson
  3. Kepu
  4. Douglas
  5. Coleman
  6. Fardy
  7. Pocock
  8. Timani
  9. Genia
  10. Cooper
  11. Mitchell
  12. Hodge
  13. Kerevi
  14. Folau
  15. DHP
  16. Polota-Nau
  17. Sio
  18. Robertson
  19. Mumm
  20. McMahon
  21. Frisby
  22. Godwin
  23. Morahan
Out: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Kuridrani, Giteau, Foley, Hooper, McCalman, Simmons, Moore, Ala'alatoa, Phipps, Horne, To'omua.
In: Hanson, Coleman, Timani, Cooper, Mitchell, Hodge, Kerevi, Robertson, McMahon, Frisby, Morahan, Godwin

EDIT: apparently To'omua is likely to be ruled out

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I fixed up your typo's fitzy....
-----------------------------------

1 Slipper (c)
2 Moore - TPN
3 Kepu
4 Douglas
5 SimmonsMumm
6 Fardy
7 Pocock
8 Timani
9 Genia
10 Cooper
11 Mitchell
12 Kerevi/Hodge
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) Folau
14 DHPAAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15 FolauDHP

16 TPNMoore
17 Sio
18 Ala'alatoa (though I'd like Robertson to have a go, apparently the incumbent did alright)
19 Coleman
20 Timani/McMahon
21 Hooper
22 Phipps
23 Foley

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
My team for this test:

1. Slipper (c)
  2. Hanson
  3. Kepu
  4. Douglas
  5. Coleman
  6. Fardy
  7. Pocock
  8. Timani
  9. Genia
  10. Cooper
  11. Mitchell
  12. Hodge
  13. Kerevi
  14. Folau
  15. DHP
  16. Polota-Nau
  17. Sio
  18. Robertson
  19. Mumm
  20. McMahon
  21. Frisby
  22. To'omua
  23. Morahan
Out: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Kuridrani, Giteau, Foley, Hooper, McCalman, Simmons, Moore, Ala'alatoa, Phipps, Horne.

In: Hanson, Coleman, Timani, Cooper, Mitchell, Hodge, Kerevi, Robertson, McMahon, Frisby, Morahan
If To'omua out, bring in Godwin and finally give him his test debut

Don't mind that side either - cripes anything but the 23 that ran out last night....

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
The positive view about the injury crisis at 12 is that Cheika MUST to find a new young #12. That means: Hodge, Kerevi, Godwin or someone

Giteau is too old for the future, To'omua is going to play in England, Lilo can't play for his illness and Horne is not a test player, he's just a good tackler so you can pick a loose forward in his spot

I agree you with most of you. Timani and Coleman deserve a call after the disaster at ANZ stadium

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I fixed up your typo's fitzy..

Ironic.

13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) Folau
14 DHPAAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15 FolauDHP

Not sure how putting DHP at fullback - after having him carved up for three tries on the wing, solves anything defensively except perhaps kicking.

Folau at centre is something that didn't really fire for the Tahs. Not sure it will survive the crucible of Test rugby if your pack is getting a flogging in contact.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Forward pack:

1. Slipper
2. TPN
3. Kepu
4. Coleman
5. Douglas
6. Fardy
7. Pocock
8. Timani maybe McCalman

My forward pack as well Seb. But I would also prefer McMahon on the bench over Hooper at this stage. Not often a replacement No 7 is required while McMahon covers all of 6, 7 and 8 to some extent.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Giteau reported to have a broken leg and ankle. Very 'courageous' for him to stay on while a fit player cooled his heels on the bench. Horne to have surgery on his shoulder. To'omua with concussion issues.

Please, no more Rob Simmons for any reason. He just can't handle the hard stuff at test level. Same for Ben McCalman. They should both be consigned to the past and the future embraced with Coleman, Arnold and Staniforth at lock with Douglas, and Timani or McMahon to cover 8 until Holloway is back.

HoldingOn

Alfred Walker (16)
My team for this test:

1. Slipper (c)
  2. Hanson
  3. Kepu
  4. Douglas
  5. Coleman
  6. Fardy
  7. Pocock
  8. Timani
  9. Genia
  10. Cooper
  11. Mitchell
  12. Hodge
  13. Kerevi
  14. Folau
  15. DHP
  16. Polota-Nau
  17. Sio
  18. Robertson
  19. Mumm
  20. McMahon
  21. Frisby
  22. Godwin
  23. Morahan
Out: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Kuridrani, Giteau, Foley, Hooper, McCalman, Simmons, Moore, Ala'alatoa, Phipps, Horne, To'omua.

In: Hanson, Coleman, Timani, Cooper, Mitchell, Hodge, Kerevi, Robertson, McMahon, Frisby, Morahan, Godwin

EDIT: apparently To'omua is likely to be ruled out

I hope I never see the likes of Frisby in a gold jumper again

Status
Not open for further replies.