• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe # 3 - Saturday 31st October, ANZ Stadium

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Rennie didnt show any hesitation throwing the next logical cab off the rank with Petaia and DHP injured. I think itll be a straight swap for Simone at 12.

I'd bet on that too. Post match interview he even mentioned Simone.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Rennie didn't mention Simone, he was asked about Simone, and actually said Hunter & Jordie were good options too. I personally think he's not ready, he's marginally better than Stewart but I feel like not quite an ideal fit to play next to O'Connor.

I do agree with PhilClinton that Stewart would maybe be a better fit for replacing To'omua if he's out for an extended period. He's a kicking 10/12, quality second play-maker, but most importantly he's a defensive organiser.

If/When we go with Lol'o at 10 then 100% I'd be comfortable with Simone at 12, but for 2 must win games against the AB's, maybe not.

I think we should/could somehow eventually get to Lol'o at 10 and O'Connor at 12. Maybe we start Hunter at 12 & Petiai at 13 and bring Lol'o off the bench at halftime maybe.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Simone is very skilful at 12 and is also a good kicking option. How is he defensively compared to To'omua?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Latu, Skelton and Rodda all played in Covid hot France on the weekend. Coleman is in England still. McMahon and Kerevi look to be still in Japan. Don't think we're getting anyone.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
IMO (I'm perhaps biased) Simone is a quality player, but he's more of an attacking option than a 'defensive organiser' like To'omua or Stewart (as an example). I feel like Simone is the attacking equivalent of Stewart, but both are pretty stock standard borderline Test Rugby 12's. My concern with Simone is more the starch in defense we'd be giving up with him. At least with Pisami he intimidates a backline -- I'm shocked that no one's really appeared to exploit his over aggressive defense yet. But maybe he is actually a good defender. Stewart is probably the most like for like To'omua replacement because they leads the defense while O'Connor leads the attack. Simone (again in my opinion) is more a guy who just plays in the system.
I'd say Simone is perhaps the better player in terms of skill and ability, but I think when you are looking to replace To'omua for a stretch of games Stewart is the better solution - although an obvious downgrade.

Another option is maybe we send an SOS to some former Reds Center currently playing in Japan... although that would dramatically change our backline dynamics.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
If Kerevi were being flown in I think he would have been on a plane at halftime of the last game. I won't totally rule it out but considering the training issues, quarantine issues etc I think it's highly unlikely.

I don't think he fits with JOC (James O'Connor) that well either (making a big assumption there I know) and I've kinda changed my tune over the last few days as originally I thought he should be given a shot. I'd definitely rather see Stewart or Simone next to JOC (James O'Connor).

As of yet I don't think we've seen Rennie make selections based on Super Rugby combinations. But after White's poor game and now being back on Aussie soil, I wouldn't be surprised to see:

9. McDermott
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
12. Simone/Stewart/Paisami
13. Petaia

Apologies to all the Brumbies posters here who will now be butthurt -EDIT BELOW

The flipside of course is does Rennie want to play Brums combinations and go

9. White
10. Lolesio
12. Simone
13. Petaia
15. JOC (James O'Connor)

Less likely but if he wants to start using combinations and have multiple playmakers that's another I don't mind.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
If Kerevi were being flown in I think he would have been on a plane at halftime of the last game. I won't totally rule it out but considering the training issues, quarantine issues etc I think it's highly unlikely.

I don't think he fits with JOC (James O'Connor) that well either (making a big assumption there I know) and I've kinda changed my tune over the last few days as originally I thought he should be given a shot. I'd definitely rather see Stewart or Simone next to JOC (James O'Connor).

As of yet I don't think we've seen Rennie make selections based on Super Rugby combinations. But after White's poor game and now being back on Aussie soil, I wouldn't be surprised to see:

9. McDermott
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
12. Simone/Stewart/Paisami
13. Petaia

Apologies to all the Brumbies posters here who will now be butthurt -EDIT BELOW

The flipside of course is does Rennie want to play Brums combinations and go

9. White
10. Lolesio
12. Simone
13. Petaia
15. JOC (James O'Connor)

Less likely but if he wants to start using combinations and have multiple playmakers that's another I don't mind.

I doubt McDermott is considered a starter until he improves his kicking game. Your first backline is literally entire QLD except for Koro on the wing, which is a funny thought.

I'd like so see:

9. White
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Koro
12. Simone
13. Petaia
14. Dung
15. DHP

23. Lolesio

or

9. White
10. Lolesio
11. Koro
12. To'omua
13. Petaia
14. Dung
15. DHP

23. JOC (James O'Connor)

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Simone is very skilful at 12 and is also a good kicking option. How is he defensively compared to To'omua?

He's a solid defender but at Test level could still get found out. To'omua has more experience and is capable of putting on a big hit (and falling off a few - but so is Simone). To'omua is a great organiser too, Simone is still fresh and would certainly be improving in this area.

I think Simone is a better defender then all the remaining choices, which is the most important comparison.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I don't expect Rennie to turf JO'C. James is clearly one of the most naturally talented players and we've been guilty of trying a new 10 every game. I reckon Rennie will be keen to get the most out of JO'C. I think he'll stick with him and give Lolesio 20 from the bench maybe. Definitely not going to bench James if To'omua is out.

Expect Petaia in maybe DHP and a forward rotation but that's about it.

As BH (I think) pointed out, a 20 point loss at Eden Park is less than the average. Another two weeks with the team and on home ground will do us wonders.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I don't expect Rennie to turf JO'C. James is clearly one of the most naturally talented players and we've been guilty of trying a new 10 every game. I reckon Rennie will be keen to get the most out of JO'C. I think he'll stick with him and give Lolesio 20 from the bench maybe. Definitely not going to bench James if To'omua is out.

As BH (I think) pointed out, a 20 point loss at Eden Park is less than the average. Another two weeks with the team and on home ground will do us wonders.

The bench will likely change a fair bit apart from the front row.
Samu/Valentini for Wright
Lolesio would certianly return if To'omua is out.

Has Gordon done enough to hold his spot? Sure Tate is a consideration there.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

I don't think JOC (James O'Connor) will be dropped. I'm coming round to the idea that some of the changes after the Wellington game weren't players being straight out dropped for a poor performance but experimentation in a few key areas (back row and front row). We essentially got what we came for in Wellington--extending the series--Eden Park was always going to be the toughest test so may as well use it to experiment.

In Sydney, I'd expect straight substitutions for injured players, e.g. Simone in for To'omua rather than playing others out of position (Paisami at 12), the return of Samu and that's about it.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't think JOC (James O'Connor) will be dropped. I'm coming round to the idea that some of the changes after the Wellington game weren't players being straight out dropped for a poor performance but experimentation in a few key areas (back row and front row). We essentially got what we came for in Wellington--extending the series--Eden Park was always going to be the toughest test so may as well use it to experiment.

Whilst I appreciate the positive spin on the situation - I don't think Rennie had that in mind.

Winning at Eden Park would mean getting two chances to topple the All Blacks back on home soil and win back the cup, a much better proposition than what we are currently in.

We as fans/commentators/mindless followers try and create narratives that aren't there - I know I do that all the time. What likely happened was Rennie wasn't impressed with a few blokes and dropped them. As has been said many times - after the Wellington game he specifically said they were at 60%. Clearly that benchmark wasn't good enough for him, hence the changes.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
If Wellington was 60% then Eden Park was more like 40. Long way to go eh.

To be fair - we Wallabies fans always seem to discount the ABs performance in Game 1 when comparing the two games. If we were 60% they were 20%. They left their best attacking weapon (Clarke) on the bench for most of the game and didn't have Beauden Barrett - his replacement McKenzie was almost Australia's best player.

Yes the Wobs whittled down to probably 40% in Auckland but the ABs were back up to 80 and we kept the score respectable.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
ASav & Laulala both on paternity leave & won't travel to Sydney. Presumably Sotutu will be the stand-in 8 & Lomax the 18. ASav's squad replacement is Du'Plesiss Kirifi & George Bower is officially cover for Joe Moody while he works through his concussion. PU-J & Laumape are now also part of the official squad.

All Blacks squad for Tri-Nations in Australia:

Forwards: Hookers: Asafo Aumua, Dane Coles and Codie Taylor. Props: George Bower, Alex Hodgman, Nepo Laulala, Tyrel Lomax, Joe Moody, Karl Tu'inukuafe, and Ofa Tuungafasi. Locks: Scott Barrett, Mitchell Dunshea, Patrick Tuipulotu, Tupou Vaa'i and Samuel Whitelock. Looseforwards: Sam Cane, Shannon Frizell, Cullen Grace, Akira Ioane, Du'Plessis Kirifi, Dalton Papalii, Ardie Savea and Hoskins Sotutu.

Backs: Halfbacks: TJ Perenara, Aaron Smith and Brad Weber. First five-eighths: Beauden Barrett and Richie Mo'unga. Midfielders: Jack Goodhue, Rieko Ioane, Ngani Laumape, Anton Lienert-Brown and Peter Umaga-Jensen. Outside backs: Jordie Barrett, Caleb Clarke, Will Jordan, Damian McKenzie and Sevu Reece.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...-all-blacks-squad-for-trinations-in-australia

Fair to say that Kirifi's selection has raised some eyebrows but I'm pretty sure absolutely no-one saw Bower's callup coming. FWIW I believe we're a 5/8 short (specifically, Josh Ioane) & carrying a midfield back too many (with the proverbial gun to my head I'd cut Ngani).

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
I am also concerned if To'omua is out and how to replace him. I actually think Godwin would have been a good option if in the squad, otherwise Simone should be the go.

Hopefully Hosea can get a run this game ahead of Simmons.

Like a lot of people for Game 1 I was critical of White's selection and he had a blinder, Game 2 it was Hanigan so I need to find someone to criticize before game 3 so they also have a cracker

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Only situation I see is JOC (James O'Connor) could be shifted to 12 with Noah at 10. More likely though is JOC (James O'Connor) 10, Simone at 12.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I'd agree with Nutter, I'd sooner have a 10 & 12 of Lol'o & O'Connor than O'Connor & Simone. IMO Simone simply isn't ready for Test Footy -- especially against the AB's. Scotland or Argentina sure, but not the All-Blacks, not to start.

Although, I think Rennie has tipped his hand by not playing Lol'o in Beld 1. I think the Hunter/Jordie center pairing is more likely.