• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe # 3 - Saturday 31st October, ANZ Stadium

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Wilson is great in defense but unable to break the line or make ground in contact with the ball. Neither Hanigan nor Hooper gave him much support in that regard

The backrow is still our biggest problem imo. Naisarani should have been there from the beginning and the lineout will not be corrected while Michael Hooper stays at 7.

Rennie has made his share of errors too. Omitting Naisarani, Dempsey, Kuridrani and Neville initially was wrong but making the alterations after the first test simply sent the wrong message to his players. As did his comments about perform or be replaced.

I think you might have one eye closed. Hooper carried the ball 4 times for about 23-31m and made the most tackles in the team with ~14-19. Wilson had 6 carries for ~3-7m and 9-11 tackles and Hanigan had about 3-4 carries for around 9-10m and about 10 tackles. It's also pretty obvious if you actually watch the players in the game so I really don't get your Hooper comment.

Also watching Naisarani against the Argies the other day, he was ok, but I'm not sure his inclusion rectifies anything for us. The problem was how few carries our players even got. As others have said and I agree with the issue really was so much more with the backline last night.

I think Maddocks is looking in good form, but I'm not sure I'd cycle through my third fullback, I think you give DHP another run and then let Maddocks come on in the game against Argentina.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I've just driven 4 hours to get home and to say I am deflated and disappointed is an understatement. It's a pretty expensive exercise for me so I can't do it too many times a year, and due to covid and a lack of alternatives I singled this game out for the annual family rugby experience. I'm not going to go to all that effort to sit in the cheap seats up the back, so the 4 tickets were pretty expensive, then there's a 2 bedroom apartment on an 'event weekend', plus fuel, meals and 2 days out of my life. And the whole purpose was for entertainment, but it was far from that. TBH I actually now wish I targeted the game v the Pumas at Bankwest, at least we might win that one.

Not having a go at the players, they can only play as good as they can, but I can understand why the public are tuning out. Something has to change, maybe just a simple home and away Bledisloe series is a good start, and schedule more games v teams in the 4-10 band, where we sit in the middle of.

Feel for you KOB, I don't even have the large trip and I opted out of going to see them live and was pretty happy with my decision when the weather forcast came through.

I'd love to see us play the likes of Fiji and Japan more, they both bring a different style. It's a shame Fiji are playing in the expanded 6 Nations rather than down here.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I've just driven 4 hours to get home and to say I am deflated and disappointed is an understatement. It's a pretty expensive exercise for me so I can't do it too many times a year, and due to covid and a lack of alternatives I singled this game out for the annual family rugby experience. I'm not going to go to all that effort to sit in the cheap seats up the back, so the 4 tickets were pretty expensive, then there's a 2 bedroom apartment on an 'event weekend', plus fuel, meals and 2 days out of my life. And the whole purpose was for entertainment, but it was far from that. TBH I actually now wish I targeted the game v the Pumas at Bankwest, at least we might win that one.

Not having a go at the players, they can only play as good as they can, but I can understand why the public are tuning out. Something has to change, maybe just a simple home and away Bledisloe series is a good start, and schedule more games v teams in the 4-10 band, where we sit in the middle of.
Don’t worry you’ll have the Blackheath bypass in a few years time that’ll save you 5 minutes through the Mountains.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think you might have one eye closed. Hooper carried the ball 4 times for about 23-31m and made the most tackles in the team with ~14-19. Wilson had 6 carries for ~3-7m and 9-11 tackles and Hanigan had about 3-4 carries for around 9-10m and about 10 tackles. It's also pretty obvious if you actually watch the players in the game so I really don't get your Hooper comment.

Also watching Naisarani against the Argies the other day, he was ok, but I'm not sure his inclusion rectifies anything for us. The problem was how few carries our players even got. As others have said and I agree with the issue really was so much more with the backline last night.

I think Maddocks is looking in good form, but I'm not sure I'd cycle through my third fullback, I think you give DHP another run and then let Maddocks come on in the game against Argentina.

You'd give Banks another shot before DHP. Banks first test was better then DHP test today, and at least it will help neutralize the AB's bombs and kicking game, which is obviously much needed.

I've always thought DHP was average under the high ball or quite inconsistent with a good game and bad game the next.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You'd give Banks another shot before DHP. Banks first test was better then DHP test today, and at least it will help neutralize the AB's bombs and kicking game, which is obviously much needed.

I've always thought DHP was average under the high ball or quite inconsistent with a good game and bad game the next.

DHP has had some serious howlers against the top tier nations......... 2018 England test comes to mind.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Unless you’re Israel Folau you drop ball on a night like last night. We needed to anticipate this and set our defensive line accordingly.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I remember DHP securing quite a few good high balls yesterday and I think fluffing one? Am I misremembering?

I also remember Banks' poor reads in defence/kicks leading to tries last week.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I remember DHP securing quite a few good high balls yesterday and I think fluffing one? Am I misremembering?

Having watched the replay I think DHP was one of our better players. Maybe not a 3.2.1 but certainly a HM.

Brumbies players are the bestest though ;-)

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I’d personally prefer Banks or Maddocks at 15, but to even suggest DHP is suspect under the highball is ludicrous. He’s probably the best player in Australia under the highball.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
If you want security then Hodge is the guy. Superior to all in that regard with a massive boot for kicking to the line and at goal. Playing him in the starting lineup frees up a bench spot for a player like Paisami.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)

Keep the faith brother. I hope the family had some other good moments on the trip to the big smoke.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Just watched the replay, he caught the first one (was a beaut), dropped the second and third. 1/3.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I’d personally prefer Banks or Maddocks at 15, but to even suggest DHP is suspect under the highball is ludicrous. He’s probably the best player in Australia under the highball.

He's never been a great Test player.

Time to give Maddocks or Hodge a crack at fullback.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Name a test fullback that has ever been selected on that criteria.

Name a fullback who's been selected for his kicking and high ball skills? That's like 9/10 test fullbacks.

Only in Australia we pick players who attack and can't kick - Folau
Or attack and can't catch - KB (Kurtley Beale)

Maybe it's time for a change. Attack is only half the game.