• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe # 3 - Saturday 31st October, ANZ Stadium

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Name a fullback who's been selected for his kicking and high ball skills? That's like 9/10 test fullbacks.

Only in Australia we pick players who attack and can't kick - Folau
Or attack and can't catch - KB (Kurtley Beale)

Maybe it's time for a change. Attack is only half the game.

Both those blokes had plenty of impact on the game though. Beale was past it last year but Cheika was just rolling the dice hoping he'd come good for the RWC, and he ended up getting dropped anyway.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Time to give Maddocks or Hodge a crack at fullback.

Fullback is the least of our worries in our backline at the moment- we should be more concerned about 10,12,11 and 14. Even Petaia has been overhyped; he's threatening for sure but as mentioned earlier he turns over the ball 2/3 times he gets possession.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I’d personally prefer Banks or Maddocks at 15, but to even suggest DHP is suspect under the highball is ludicrous. He’s probably the best player in Australia under the highball.

Generally, would agree........ but there's been a few big tests against the likes of England and New Zealand (again on the weekend), where he has been unreliable.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Both those blokes had plenty of impact on the game though. Beale was past it last year but Cheika was just rolling the dice hoping he'd come good for the RWC, and he ended up getting dropped anyway.
I think we have a real gem in Maddocks. He is still a little green but could be something special. He has a long accurate boot, good positional awareness, speed and the ability to put others away.
If we go with a more all round skilled winger like Wright then I would think it would be a good time to bring him in. Having JOC (James O'Connor) back on deck would give whoever is at the back more support as well. Rennie may go a more conservative route and slot him in for Argentina.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Banks had plenty of impact on the game in Wellington. Defusing bombs and getting an extra 10 metres on kick returns is IMPACT. And it was exactly what we needed in wet weather.

Although, I feel its a moot point anyway, I'm not advocating for Banks, I still prefer to see what Maddocks or Hodge offers. I'm just saying Banks defence is very handy in wet weather and would have been very handy last match.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Fullback is the least of our worries in our backline at the moment- we should be more concerned about 10,12,11 and 14. Even Petaia has been overhyped; he's threatening for sure but as mentioned earlier he turns over the ball 2/3 times he gets possession.

But we have some decent options at fullback. Maddocks and Hodge are solid options.

10: We got nothing. JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua are injured so Lolesio is the best we have. Hodge/Harrison isn't going to be better.
12. I like the idea of Hodge starting here. Everyone else is injured or inexperienced.
13. Petaia - I agree he has been overhyped, he is making so many mistakes. But he is worth persisting with. Paisami too.
11/14. I'd love to see Wight given a shot.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Keep the faith brother. I hope the family had some other good moments on the trip to the big smoke.

Yeah I'm not throwing the towel in, I'm optimistic about the future. But we are going to go through a bit of pain along the way and I had the realisation of what needs to happen to keep the punters engaged in the meantime.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Banks had plenty of impact on the game in Wellington. Defusing bombs and getting an extra 10 metres on kick returns is IMPACT. And it was exactly what we needed in wet weather.

Although, I feel its a moot point anyway, I'm not advocating for Banks, I still prefer to see what Maddocks or Hodge offers. I'm just saying Banks defence is very handy in wet weather and would have been very handy last match.

Yeah. Banks is getting a lot of bad press for his form in the first two tests. He was more secure under the high ball than DHP and neither cut the defense to ribbons on kick return. Maybe some posters should recognize the difficulties involved in breaking the ABs defensive line.

But like you, I want to see Maddocks tried in the fullback spot. He starred at 15 for the U20s and was later primarily used as a winger by the Rebels and Cheika.

By the way, my recollection is that Banks was the main man in defense at the back and wasn't overly reliant on JOC (James O'Connor) as some here would have us believe.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah. Banks is getting a lot of bad press for his form in the first two tests. He was more secure under the high ball than DHP and neither cut the defense to ribbons on kick return. Maybe some posters should recognize the difficulties involved in breaking the ABs defensive line.

But like you, I want to see Maddocks tried in the fullback spot. He starred at 15 for the U20s and was later primarily used as a winger by the Rebels and Cheika.

By the way, my recollection is that Banks was the main man in defense at the back and wasn't overly reliant on JOC (James O'Connor) as some here would have us believe.

Banks fail at kick return had nothing to do with anything than his lack of attempting it. Don’t know about DHP as haven’t seen Bled 3 and probably won’t. But Banks reputation on kick return is his own doing.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
But we have some decent options at fullback. Maddocks and Hodge are solid options.

10: We got nothing. JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua are injured so Lolesio is the best we have. Hodge/Harrison isn't going to be better.
12. I like the idea of Hodge starting here. Everyone else is injured or inexperienced.
13. Petaia - I agree he has been overhyped, he is making so many mistakes. But he is worth persisting with. Paisami too.
11/14. I'd love to see Wight given a shot.

I am concerned about Hodge at 12, his passing game at test level isn't up to scratch. I would love us to go back to a similar team that played in Wellington but with To'omua injured I think that obviously impossible. Would be keen on:

Slipper, FF (Folau Fainga'a), Tupou, Salakaia-Loto, Phillip, Samu, Hooper, Wilson, White, JOC (James O'Connor), Koroibete, Petaia (at 12 a bit scary),Paisiami, Daugunu, Banks

Hodge, Lolesio on the pine.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
If you want security then Hodge is the guy. Superior to all in that regard with a massive boot for kicking to the line and at goal. Playing him in the starting lineup frees up a bench spot for a player like Paisami.
Banks kicks to the lime better then any in Australia.. His Attacks not at it yet but his defence is pretty good. But still probably DHP for me..

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
So who from the Wallabies backline would be able to make the All Blacks match day squad? I'd suggest zero at best. And in the pigs, maybe a prop or two only

5 players at most: Tupou, Ala'alatoa, Wilson, Petaia & LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at a stretch.

Tupou is the only certainty, the others might make the bench at best.