• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #4 New Zealand vs Australia Nov 7 2020

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I've gotta say that I've been critical of Swinton because of his lack of discipline and it showed again last night, BUT if he can channel that aggression into legal brutality then that pack looks a lot better. Imagine in years to come having McReight, Swinton and Wilson together. My word that's a good back row right there. I thought Harry was excellent again last night. He already looks like a test player to me. I thought the selection of Hodge at 10 was worrying, but he let absolutely nobody down and Hunter at 12 really worked as well. This bloke Rennie may know a thing or two, though some of the selections he didn't really have a lot of choice in. Marika was outstanding too. Really the whole side just stepped up and clearly decided to go out there and smash some blokes last night. More of that please.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I’d be tempted to give hodge another go at 10.
We know what O’Connor brings, he’s not getting any younger and we’ve struggled for a backup.
Hodges performance was a surprise to me but he should be rewarded with another start.
And Paisami was too good not to get another start at 12.
I’d bring O’Connor back via the bench if he’s fit.

I think this is likely and makes sense. I do think Hodge's long-term position is 12 though, so might be a good idea to start playing him there consistantly. Or even 15. But he needs a long-term position and to stop bring Mr. Fix-it.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeh what is going on with TJ? He is such a world class 9, but I think that was one of the poorest games I've seen from him, slow service and poor decision making. A huge step down from A.Smith. Is TJ past his peak?
He's never been a world class 9 - he just yaps as if he were.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think this is likely and makes sense. I do think Hodge's long-term position is 12 though, so might be a good idea to start playing him there consistantly. Or even 15. But he needs a long-term position and to stop bring Mr. Fix-it.

I think he's a long term fullback, though 12 isn't out of the question either. We really benefit from having his boot out there.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
His defence last night was full on. I’m not sure I have seen him tackle like that previously. It’s great to have him in the starting side for both his goal and line kicking as well. It also gives us further options on the bench.
He actually carried off playing 10 without a second playmaker better than either JOC (James O'Connor) or To'omua have. If Rennie wants to stick with Paisami at 12 then Hodge most likely will get the nod with JOC (James O'Connor) on the bench.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Finegan was combative, without being overly aggressive.
Finegan was very aggressive and became more controlled with age, a little anyway. Not sure that Owen could get up that high in the lineout. They are different players. Finegan was excellent at carrying and had a masterful short offload, a bit like Wilson.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
Wow, what a satisfying match to watch. Congratulations to Slipper on the milestone.

Perhaps the most satisfying element other than the win is the impression some of our young players have made. NZ won't soon forget what it is like to come up against players like Wilson, Swinton, Petaia, and even Tupou who had a bit of an arrival as a test match player against the All Blacks last night. Great to see Lolesio look very poised in his second match; definitely part of the future for the Wallabies.

We will have forced a degree of respect because of the way we played which is something we've been lacking.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Just had the pleasure of watching the game again. A couple of takeaways for me:
The debutantes
Swinton - was outstanding until the red card, was best on the field until that point. 34 minutes. His work rate and impact were both exceptional, 5 runs and 7 tackles lead both stats at that point. He was also good at lineout time. If he can find the balance in his aggression he will be a long term wallabies enforcer.

T Wright - exceptional. Created a number of chances and half chances. Came in looking for the ball but his awareness and clean up work when the All Blacks dropped it in behind the line was first class. In 65 minutes he ran for more metres than anyone else on the field with 92 metres from only 8 carries, there were no easy metres either, where he was put into a space. Regularly beat the first defender with speed or footwork evidenced by his game high 3 clean breaks and team high 3 defenders beaten. Was noticeably vocal throughout also.

Bell - Thrust in earlier than probably expected but was impressive. Ive always questioned his ability come scrum time as his work around the ground has been first class at every level he has played. He was great at scrum time last week against Argentina and followed it up last night with some impressive performances. Plenty to like about his performance and will be a key cog for Australia. moving forward.

The others -
Paisami - was really impressed with him. Wasn't simply a crash ball 12. He straightened up the attack when needed but often found the pass at the right time, came into first receiver more than once and distributed well. I was worried with a Hodge/Paisami combo that we wouldn't bring the outside men into play but I was wrong. Still needs to find a balance with when to go for the big shot and make a regulation tackle. Did have 4 missed and one gave the field position for the first try and over read when Savea went through the line late. But for a rookie at this level far more upside in the performance.

Philip - Was such a presence everywhere. Seemed to take a real leadership role. He was very vocal, did plenty of work and dominated the lineout for us, obviously had the key steal before halftime. I hope he is back from his stint in France in time for next years test. Probably seen the most growth and development from my perspective out all those who have played for the Wallabies this year.

Tupou - Dominated Super Rugby AU this year. Played huge minutes and contributed throughout. Always thought his greatest contribution for the Reds was in the back end of games. I wonder if the extra pace and intensity of test match football blunts his ability to contribute late when he starts. Last night, off the bench he was massive, could not have done any more to bring Australia home. His work at he scrum, ball carrying, defensively and ultimately the try was the difference late. Tiring defenders could not deal with his combination of power and athleticism. Deserves to start although with performances likes last night might see him as the x-factor which turns games for us.

Well done to all players a great gritty performance particularly after last week. Shows the pride in the Jersey we all want to see.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
If we lost this game, those praising Swinton would be signing a different tune. Sure, he did some good things, but he also did something unbelievably stupid. He was like this during all of super rugby. He and Sam Cane are a lot alike, hot heads that will get their team in trouble.

Up until last years RWC, we said the same thing about Latu, he'd put together some impressive games or minutes, but would then do something unbelievably stupid.

If Rob didn't do a classic Simmonds penalty in the first test we would have had a drawn Bledisloe series.

People have moaned about the Wallabies not being the spot were core and fundamental skills aren't developed. I'd argue that's the same here. The international stage isn't the spot for a hot head who can't control his anger to learn how to temper it.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If we lost this game, those praising Swinton would be signing a different tune. Sure, he did some good things, but he also did something unbelievably stupid. He was like this during all of super rugby. He and Sam Cane are a lot alike, hot heads that will get their team in trouble.

Up until last years RWC, we said the same thing about Latu, he'd put together some impressive games or minutes, but would then do something unbelievably stupid.

If Rob didn't do a classic Simmonds penalty in the first test we would have had a drawn Bledisloe series.

People have moaned about the Wallabies not being the spot were core and fundamental skills aren't developed. I'd argue that's the same here. The international stage isn't the spot for a hot head who can't control his anger to learn how to temper it.
That’s all fair - but it has been a long time since we’ve had a 6 capable of playing the sort of game Swinton played last night. He’s come a long way in a short time. Likewise if we’d lost Wilson’s ball carries, Paisami’s missed tackles and Nic White’s decision making would all be under far more scrutiny. But we won, so we can afford to be a bit more charitable. I don’t see anyone saying Swinton is suddenly a world beater or that he gets a free pass on the red because we won.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)

But give him his dues. He really put the ABs under pressure and his work rate was through the roof in those 34 minutes. I’m guessing Rennie is very pleased with his performance.
He will get better and more accurate. He certainly made a bigger impression than anyone else at 6 this year, possibly with the exception of Wilson in Bled 1.
I’m guessing he is there to stay. That back row has excellent balance and grunt. With Wright or Samu coming off the pine it looks very good.
If Latu could reign it in then so can Swinton.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Swinton. Quite possibly one of the four missing links for me in the Wallaby 15.

The others are 5, 10 and 12

I'd like to see Hodge getting extended time at 10 and try JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 next to him. Paisami has promise though.

5 is still a big worry. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to me is only just okay. Simply not physical enough and work rate is not what it should be at this level.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
If we lost this game, those praising Swinton would be signing a different tune.

But they didn't.
So I'm not.

His 33 minutes involved some of the most aggressive and impactful Wallaby efforts we've seen almost all series. Every carry, every lineout take, and every tackle he made were simple, accurate, and effective.

We've upped the physicality the whole series I think - definite improvements in contact and a few Kiwis I know have taken note. But too often we sought out the big hit when it just wasn't on, and paid the price. Swinton showed that you can get that balance just right and his poor judgement to get the red was nothing to do with hot-headedness.

In summary:

oliver.jpg

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'd also add: losing to the ABs is nothing new. The effort in the performance is where I put my judgement.

If Swinton stayed on and we'd lost with a man advantage, THEN I'd probably be ropable with just about everyone else because on balance, he was the best Wallaby out there.