• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #4 New Zealand vs Australia Nov 7 2020

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
A win is a win is a win is a win. If they end up getting red carded, that's their fault. This isn't park footy where its a snap decision made in the heat of the moment for punching a bloke - this is a clear framework operating as it should.

A red card results in the offender's dismissal from the game, then the offender has to front a tribunal and faces an appropriate length of time on the sideline. No argument from me.

However, as much as the whole game tries to make itself safer, incidents like this will continue to happen. When they do, I see no reason at all why the whole game should be spoiled as contest as a result.

I played in an era where there was one referee, and touch judges were figureheads with no real power to do anything. Head hight tackles, spear tackles, you name it, it happened, at all levels of the game.

We have cleaned the game up enormously since then, which is a good thing.

BTW my Kiwi neighbour loves the game enough to do a 150 km round trip every weekend during the season so that his 13 year old son can get a game.

Reactions: dru

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
A win is a win is a win is a win. If they end up getting red carded, that's their fault. This isn't park footy where its a snap decision made in the heat of the moment for punching a bloke - this is a clear framework operating as it should.

Consider this: World Rugby is very aware of the risk posed by concussion, not just to the players, but in terms of the legal threat it faces if it isn't seen to be doing something about it. Look at the number of NFL players in the US with CTE - anyone want to do this?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07...trip-predictions-decade-in-two-years/10056496

That Kiwi neighbour of wamberal's can fuck off and watch loig if he wants where cockheads like Cameron Smith can whack a bloke in the neck for no penalty.

I think Scotty Stevenson tweeted it best

View attachment 11922

No one is saying they shouldn't protect the players. But I think most people just want the contest to continue.

Having a red card result with a player sent off for 10mins only then allowed to be replaced would allow the contest to continue.

You can still have accountability and protect the players without resulting in a HUGE advantage to one team for something that can be a little careless.

Protect the players AND continue a fair contest.... why not do BOTH!

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Sad that we will not see Swinton again until next year, more so for him than anyone else but as said, he may learn a valuable lesson at the start of his test career.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Oh the "ruined a good contest" thing :rolleyes:

Fellas - that was some knock-down, drag-out, intense Test rugby. The contest was fine.

I see a few Kiwis bitching about it here and there not being a great game but that is more to do with them not winning by 20 points and having a shit halfback than anything about the cards.

Similarly, does anyone here have an issue with Barrett's red card in Perth last year? I certainly take no issue with the 21-point drubbing we gave them with was more about Kerevi having a great game than the smooth brain on the dumbest of the Barrett clan.

If the fans don't want a "ruined" game, maybe they should complain to their players for doing dumb shit. Just a thought.

There is only one player I feel sorry for in this whole thing: Akira Ioane, who had to miss out on another 40+ minutes of what looked like a fine debut because Ofa was lazy and stupid.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The only reason it was a contest was because Swinton got carded too..

Let's be real, if we won without that evened up card everyone would be calling the victory hollow and meaningless.

The Barrett card clearly and absolutely contributed to the 21 point win however he was carded at HT and I thought we would've won that game regardless, the score-line didn't really reflect it at the time but we were well on top already.

I still do not understand why coaches take a backrower off when they have to replace a prop. Take a winger off - Sevu Reece.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member

Consider this: World Rugby is very aware of the risk posed by concussion, not just to the players, but in terms of the legal threat it faces if it isn't seen to be doing something about it. Look at the number of NFL players in the US with CTE - anyone want to do this?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07...trip-predictions-decade-in-two-years/10056496

That Kiwi neighbour of wamberal's can fuck off and watch loig if he wants where cockheads like Cameron Smith can whack a bloke in the neck for no penalty.

I think Scotty Stevenson tweeted it best

View attachment 11922

The Mat Burke defence.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The only reason it was a contest was because Swinton got carded too..

I, and my cardiologist, will go on the record as saying we would have preferred to win by 20+ had Swinton stayed on.

I still do not understand why coaches take a backrower off when they have to replace a prop. Take a winger off - Sevu Reece.

Especially as Reece was playing shit. Total shit.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Neither were soft Reds! He's probably just seen too many refs bottle it when faced with a Kiwi having to be dismissed.

Only trouble with that comment is I got an Aussie mate talking to me on facebook right now saying he thought both cards were wrong. Does that mean he used to seeing Wallabies getting away with it for years?:p

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
That's surprisingly harsh.

I thought all suspensions were magically halved in Rugby judicial land.

I think it effectively 2 weeks no way will any test players be playing preseason next year, or very very unlikely anyway.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just had a proper second viewing. Hanigan was quite excellent once he came on apart from getting stripped 10m out by Beauden which is quite inexcusable. His ruck work was very accurate and effective. Probably goes back into the starting #6 jersey. I'd bring Hosea onto the bench. I'm still not seeing what Liam Wright is offering on the bench. He was horribly caught out on Vaa'i's try. Surely Samu or McReight are better options.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Only trouble with that comment is I got an Aussie mate talking to me on facebook right now saying he thought both cards were wrong. Does that mean he used to seeing Wallabies getting away with it for years?:p

No, just means he watches Rugby League where both hits would not have rated anything more than a penalty and the citing commissioner/panel would have exonerated them.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Cordner got coathangered in the semi against the Raiders preventing a certain try. Connected with nothing but head. 'brilliant try saving tackle'.

Head highs arent even a penalty in league.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If the fans don't want a "ruined" game, maybe they should complain to their players for doing dumb shit. Just a thought.

Yep.

Both tackles were avoidable. Both players knew the potential consequences when they went in high.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
"up to and including 6 Feb"

No mysterious internal trials etc.

Which then puts our 2021 season on track to start the last weekend of January like Super Rugby 2020 did.

Super Rugby NZ isn't starting until the last weekend of February which seems a bit strange if we are crossing over at the end and also won't have an incoming tour until July.

I would have thought we'd use the reduced season length to not start crazily early anymore whilst everyone is still going to the beach and watching cricket.