• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe II @ Eden Park

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I guess if your main priority is to win the world cup then the rotation policy seems to have some merit, particularly given that we went all the way to the WC Final in 2015 using that approach. Plus I'm mindful that, strangely, statistically we're actually much more likely to win the world cup than win at Eden Park. With that said, I agree with everyone here that I'd prefer to see us put our best foot forward on Saturday. To me it depends what the changes are. I think the same spine needs to remain. If Cheika decides to rotate a few guys off the bench, maybe starting Genia and Coleman or something. maybe giving Bank a start in place of Hodge or bring AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) onto the bench. I won't be too upset. If we see sweeping changes I'll be bloody disappointed.

You are using a world cup we didn't win as evidence to support an approach in circumstances where our main priority is to win a world cup?

We were an awful lot closer to getting beaten in the 1/4 final than winning the final.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Absolutely. He was huge off the bench particularly in defence. A couple of his rush tackles where he absolutely swamped the ball carrier preventing any chance of a pass were brilliant.

I was super impressed. I have made numerous posts writing off his chances of going to the RWC but that cameo put him firmly in the frame and a strong chance of being in our best 23.

There was that great moment where he absolutely thumped someone, then Tupou went in straight after and pilfered the ball. Nice to see our bench come good.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
You are using a world cup we didn't win as evidence to support an approach in circumstances where our main priority is to win a world cup?

We were an awful lot closer to getting beaten in the 1/4 final than winning the final.

I know I know, I'm getting repetitive but for one last time: Our main priority right now, without any flicker of doubt, should be the return of the Bled. Talk to me on Sunday about preparations for the RWC.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
Listening to Scott Johnson on Fox Rugby podcast he didn't indicate that they would do vast changes and that they understood that this was a huge opportunity to win the Bled. Also said they wanted Pocock to prove he could play 80 before selecting him. Other than that kept his cards close to his chest but gave some good insight to the selection process and change to the overall game plan this season.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)

seriously mate? We were without a doubt the form team of the World Cup up until the final. We didn't win the final but you can't argue that our team didn't peak perfectly at the world cup, while other teams (cough England) floundered.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Latest Fox Sports article is suggesting Rory Arnold looks unlikely to play due to his hand injury and Pocock probably won't be risked yet.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Its almost as if the essence of sport is competition and having one team that wins 95% of their games is uninteresting?

I agree Derpus, look I make no bones I a one eyed AB supporter, and once maybe I would of got depressed when they lost, but I am quite know that in sport you need uncertainty to keep things real interesting. Funnily enough I think the ABs losing the 95 WC final was thing that taught me that the most, I got up the next day, sun still came up, and I actually felt the good it had done in SA was pleasing. I feel the same after last weeks game, hey I would of liked an AB win, but I am also enjoying gettin a bit of flak from the boys at work who never follow the game, who all manage to give me stick. I have never actually spoken to them about rugby, so it can't be bad really!!

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Karl Tu'inukuafe is recovering from meningitis. I have no idea when he's expected back but he certainly isn't available right now. The All Blacks have a big issue at prop in my opinion. I don't think Moody and Franks are world class still and Franks is certainly struggling for form. The All Blacks basically created the standard of ball playing props but now they seem to be lacking options that are strong at set piece and add value around the park on both sides of the ball.

They're struggling in the backrow. They don't have a true 6 who is consistently good enough and are instead trying to pigeon hole their best three backrowers into the side. I think there is reasonable balance between Cane, Savea and Read as Savea is probably the best ball carrier they have and can easily do the job of a big number 8. I'm not sure it will actually improve if they drop one of those three to the bench and play someone else at 6 and move Read back to 8.

They are missing Brodie Retallick massively. Sam Whitelock is still very good but you probably wouldn't say he's in the best couple of locks in the world now.

Far out. This sounds like a wallabies type of comment from 2106 onwards. Amazing what 1 win can do. Or in this instance, 1 loss. I'm totally into this and it is only Wednesday.

Reactions: dru

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Latest Fox Sports article is suggesting Rory Arnold looks unlikely to play due to his hand injury and Pocock probably won't be risked yet.

Big opportunity for Coleman. Arnold is a big loss but Coleman is capable of going out there and outplaying his opposite number. Given that the All Blacks are missing some locks, we should still be more than compete in that area.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
All the talk of changes ! watching training yesterday, the only change to the incumbent team was Coleman for Arnold. There could well be some changes on the bench, Uelese for FF (Folau Fainga'a), Petaia for Banks ? but the teams running at training were as above. To'omua and TK were the opposition centres, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) ran on the wing and at OC. We will have to wait and see what the masterplan is !

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
If there are changes I think you need to look at them on their merit rather than having an instantaneous meltdown.

Having heard the podcast I am expecting there to be a few strategic tweaks based on injuries, the wet weather forecast, and that we will take a more defensive approach to this game. We played a few jokers in the last game and they'll be coming up with counterplays, they're usually pretty good at that.

Anything other than Valetini at 6 and Pocock for Jones (or injuries) and i'm going a full Chernobyl.

If Arnold is out, then:

Sio
Latu
AAA
Rodda
Coleman
Valetini
Hooper
Naisirani

Slipper
Fainga'a
Thor
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
Pocock

Valetini to start as if he chokes or is playing badly, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) plays the rest out but also covers 2nd row in case of injury. A sub having a shocker has far worse impact on a team's chances in the dying high pressure minutes. If he's having a blinder, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) still covers 2nd row and Pocock can cover the backrow. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) runs too upright and is not as agile in defence as Valetini and we'll need him in the wet. Naisirani is a good jumper and Valetini can jump if needed as well, but he's there to just smash everything he can until he fades, then Pocock can play the remainder

No changes to the backs.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Reading that Fox article, and also the push from Gregan (who's helping with the coaching) to reward the victors from last week would imply that possibly the only change to the starting lineup would be Coleman for Arnold, which would no doubt bring BR's GOAT Rob Simmons onto the bench. They might tinker with the 22 and 23. I still wouldn't be surprised if TK comes back in at 13.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Anything other than Valetini at 6 and Pocock for Jones (or injuries) and i'm going a full Chernobyl.

If Arnold is out, then:

Sio
Latu
AAA
Rodda
Coleman
Valetini
Hooper
Naisirani

Slipper
Fainga'a
Thor
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
Pocock

Valetini to start as if he chokes or is playing badly, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) plays the rest out but also covers 2nd row in case of injury. A sub having a shocker has far worse impact on a team's chances in the dying high pressure minutes. If he's having a blinder, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) still covers 2nd row and Pocock can cover the backrow. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) runs too upright and is not as agile in defence as Valetini and we'll need him in the wet. Naisirani is a good jumper and Valetini can jump if needed as well, but he's there to just smash everything he can until he fades, then Pocock can play the remainder

No changes to the backs.

Not playing down Valetini's potential, but I highly doubt that he'll be making his test debut at Eden Park this Saturday.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was training at 6 for the "green bibs", the opposition row were Jones and Simmons, Valetini was packing at 8.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah, i'd still like to see Jones given a real chance at 6. Slim chance though. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) has a mortgage on it now, for better or worse.

I wouldnt be upset with Valetini at 6 with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) on bench. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) coming off the bench provides punch.