• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Blues v Crusaders Round 1 (2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Tahs v Reds thread is up so I decided to follow up with this.

What do we think? I would love my guys to win & I'm backing them at the later half of the season but round1 here I would def back the Blues.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Depending on teamlists I'll take the Blues, Toeava will make the difference.

I think the Crusaders are looking to start MacDonald instead of Flynn after his abysmal performance which cost the Crusaders the grand final. I'm interested to see how their scrum goes without Thorn because when he wasn't there last year it was quite average. The Blues have a weak scrum, especially with no Afoa now.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
These teams will be hard to judge for the first few rounds. I've got to put my money on the Crusaders for this one, Blues overall.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Blues have a good line up this year hopefully they can all click. I'm a bit unsure why the Crusaders are such favourites this year, no major gains, fair amount of losses and no Carter or McCaw for the first few rounds. Not saying they won't finish top 4 but they won't be the side they were last year.

Blues by 6

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I agree with you tigerland, I reckon last year they played purely on emotion and that's how they got up for most games. They've lost Thorn, SBW, Fotuali'i. Carter & McCaw will play half the season and whilst Todd is an able replacement Bleyendaal is unknown. Last year had to take a toll on them it will show this year.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Blues have a good line up this year hopefully they can all click. I'm a bit unsure why the Crusaders are such favourites this year, no major gains, fair amount of losses and no Carter or McCaw for the first few rounds. Not saying they won't finish top 4 but they won't be the side they were last year.

Blues by 6

For one thing, they'll actually get to play home games this year! For them to have made the final last year after the year they had was quite amazing really. They were the best team by some distance IMO and if they had gone on to win the final without playing one home game really would have been quite incredible.

Yes, they may have lost some players but they seem to have a factory that produces talented players down there! They could start off slow without Carter and McCaw but that may not be a bad thing for them. I don't think it will be possible for any team to play at their peak from Round 1 til the finals this year, so starting slowly and building form as the season goes on may be a smart plan.

Was interested to read an article this morning suggesting that Dagg may start off on the wing to accomodate Tom Marshall. Marshall appears to be a solid player, but Israel Dagg is a once in a generation player IMO. Surely you would want a player with his talent getting his hands on the ball as much as possible?!

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I'm not doubting how good of a side they are but I think they will be on an even playing field as the likes Queensland, Blues and Stormers in comparison to recent seasons where the have always been the top side.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Agreed. They probably don't have the invincible look that they did in previous years. It will also be interesting to see how the 'World Cup Hangover' affects all of the AB's this year.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Thing about the Saders is that it's all about the TEAM.

With the Blues you never quite know what will happen. They can be brilliant one minute and terrible the next although with Lam in charge they have shown better consistency.

Bleyendaal is quality. There is no such thing as a poor Canterbury pivot. They just don't make 'em.

Is Charlie Fomaina (SP) playing for the Blues? He looked a great prop. Canty will shade it it in the tight and their defense is always good so despite some spectacular Blues tries, I am going with the team from the South. They haven't let my picks down much over the last ten years and "this is the Blues year" is something I have heard a few times.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Faumuina? Yeah, he's still there and will be at tight head I guess. Woodcock is out injured for a while (no shock there), so I guess McCartney will replace him.

I'd pick the Blues on that backline, assuming all else remains equal. Which it just may. Even with their injuries, check this Blues pack, it's not bad at all:

1. McCartney (ok, not that good), 2. Mealamu, 3. Faumuina
4. Comical Ali, 5. Boric
6. Kaino, 7 Pick A Braid, 8, ? Saili/Lowery

Then the backline:
9. Mathewson (with fat Piri on the pine), 10. Hobbs
12. Stanley, 13. Ranger
11. Wulf, 14. Raikuna
15. Ice

With Woodcock, Nonu and Munro to return from injury. On paper, an awesome team. OK, OK, maybe lacking a top 10, but Hobbs should go OK. Your point about consistency is a good one, and the 'Saders seemingly endless roll out of young talent, but I still can't look past the Blues.

Just too many holes in the 'Saders with Carter and McCaw out and Thorn and SBW gone - I think the Blues will own the midfield, and that's where they'll win it. But it'll be close. In the end, the 'Saders may just be one Whitelock short of a win.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
Heard talk that Lam is considering using Kaino at 8 this season in order to get both Braids in the line-up at 6 and 7.

Luke Braid was impressive in his showings last year, I can see why Lam is trying to find a way to get him on the field.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Weepu is the 2nd best 10 in NZ right now with Cruden not far behind. I hope the Blues play him there. As for the Crusaders never turning out a bad pivot.....there was this guy Steven Brett or something........

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Weepu is the 2nd best 10 in NZ right now with Cruden not far behind. I hope the Blues play him there. As for the Crusaders never turning out a bad pivot.....there was this guy Steven Brett or something........

Well, to be fair, Brett looked a hell of a lot better at the 'Saders than he did at the Blues. The Crusaders seem to put better structures in place that seem make individuals fit very well, like simply replacing a cog in a well oiled machine. The Blues haven't looked nearly as coherent a team as the Crusaders, but under Lam they are improving.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As predicted MacDonald starts over Flynn, good move Toddie. Flynn was the only weakness in the Crusaders last year.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well, my starting Blues team was at least pretty close, just swap Lowery and Kaino.

Blues bench is interesting. Why Bradley Mika? And who is Parkes?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Well, my starting Blues team was at least pretty close, just swap Lowery and Kaino.

Blues bench is interesting. Why Bradley Mika? And who is Parkes?

I think they have been anxious to get Brad Mika on the park after all his injuries last year. I'm hoping he does really well - he looked to be a very good player when he left NZ a number of years ago. If he's at least as good as his brother was, I'll be stoked.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Brad Mika just shows their lack of depth at lock. They're in trouble if Boric or Ali goes down. Hadleigh Parkes played for Auckland in the ITM cup, was pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.